• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask me about Eyewear!

spectzix

Reaction score
hi cityconnection
2 quick questions

- my ears are one higher than the other, thus it often makes my glasses look very lopsided, any solution to this?

- what are some better quality for money frames, i heard the luxury brands like prada's quality arnt so great, what about lenses, never understood the difference between expensive ones and cheaper ones

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vilinx
I was quoted about $200 for a nice thin lenses + crizal anti-reflective coating for a new pair of lenses. Is this reasonable or should I look elsewhere in Chicago?

For thin lenses with Crizal coating that is probably about right. I don't what index lens you are talking about because some stores consider poly a "thin lens". It is thin but it certainly isn't a great lens. my 2 cents.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by spectzix
hi cityconnection
2 quick questions

- my ears are one higher than the other, thus it often makes my glasses look very lopsided, any solution to this?

- what are some better quality for money frames, i heard the luxury brands like prada's quality arnt so great, what about lenses, never understood the difference between expensive ones and cheaper ones

Hey Spectzix,

1. chances are you got them online and they aren't adjusted. Take it into a store and get them adjusted. They may charge up to $10 but definitely worth it. If you bought them in a B&M store, go back and ask them to adjust it and tell them they are lopsided.

2. Yes, there are tons of posts in this thread about good quality frames and bang for the buck frames. I know there are a lot of pages, but scroll back some. Off the top of my head, 2 brands that really interest me right now are Kio Yamato and Urband. I previously thought Urband was a "copy" of Mykita and Ic! Berlin, but after having some experience with the frames I find them to be a really well made frame. They are made of acetate and titanium which make them quite strong and light. Also, Kio Yamatos have always been a favorite of mine.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lafont
Is anyone familiar with this book, on Amazon?

http://www.amazon.com/Eyewear-Webste...011580&sr=1-18

Not in our local libraries but it might be interesting. At only 48 pages and a paperback, I have my doubts....

Lafont, I haven't seen either of these books, but I love how you find them. I think I'm going to order a bunch of them when I get the time. I appreciate it!

daruma

Reaction score
Just wanted to ask again if there are any recommended online stores to buy Oliver peoples frames. Eyeing the Grayson in horn

tomvanhalen

Reaction score
Hi, ive just found a page via google regarding oliver peoples emerson and ive just seen the photo of you wearing yours. they are exactly the type of frame im looking for. my complexion is like yours as is my face shape.

i be very grateful if you could tell me the colour and size of the frames you have on in the picture, that is if you decided to stick with them...you should have done, they look great.

kind regards,
tom

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by daruma
Just wanted to ask again if there are any recommended online stores to buy Oliver peoples frames. Eyeing the Grayson in horn

I am not affiliated with any online store nor have I purchased from any. Maybe someone else will post up a good site that they have used...

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I remember hearing that the co-creators of IC berlin left to set up Mykita and subsequently made improvements to the original designs. Hence, some have said that mykita is a better overall product with a more refine hinge.

But that was all a few years ago. What is the current position? Who makes a more superior product now? Are there any other brands along this line that may be far superior?

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quick Q

About how much does it cost to have polarized Rx lenses made and fitted for sunglasses?

nightic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by upnorth
I remember hearing that the co-creators of IC berlin left to set up Mykita and subsequently made improvements to the original designs. Hence, some have said that mykita is a better overall product with a more refine hinge.

But that was all a few years ago. What is the current position? Who makes a more superior product now? Are there any other brands along this line that may be far superior?

I found the latest line (9500) of Lindberg Strip Titanium to be superior.

The main advantages of the Lindbergs, is that due to being made from Titanium, it allows the use of a slightly thicker material while still remaining lightweight.
(IC Berlin/Mykita use surgical Stainless Steel for their metal frames, which is inherently heavier so they make it very thin to keep the weight down but also for flexibility.)

The thicker (Ti) material of the Lindbergs makes for a stiffer frame which, amongst other things, has the advantage of being easier to adjust.
(A common complaint with the IC Berlins/Mykitas is that adjustment on them is difficult.)

Furthermore, IC Berlin/Mykita often use a greater surface area of material for the bridge, so that it's rigid enough.
I don't find that this ties in especially well with many of their designs.

Moving to the hinges -- due to their particular temple mounting method, the opening/closing action of the IC Berlin/Mykitas is not smooth, with a distinct detent feel instead.
I've heard that this can also lead to the finish wearing off on the coloured frames, in that area.
(The Lindberg Strips feature screw-less hinges too but with elastomer pivot points rather than metal against metal.)

In addition to this, the IC Berlin/Mykita system for lens mounting, whereby the eye-wire opens at the end pieces (the points where the temples are attached) tends to make this area rather more obvious.
(Lindberg's eye-wires open near the nose pads.)

Finally, Lindberg's conservative approach to their overall aesthetics is, in my opinion, more consistent in producing a decent look when worn.
IC Berlin and Mykita have so many designs, many of which seem to prioritise looking great when on display.
I've tried perhaps 60 or 70 pairs in the past couple of years and I haven't found a single one that I thought looked especially good on me (and I have an oval face + average PD, so not the hardest features to shop for).

I think you can see from this pretty helpful article comparing the 3 designs, that IC Berlin/Mykita look slicker in photos but it's so different once they're on your face.
http://claudiakopticians.com/mainsit...t-frame-design

PS - There were a few other minor points that I thought not to mention as they probably wouldn't be of concern to most people, however, for reference, I may as well add them.

The thinner material on the IC Berlin/Mykitas has the function of making the lens thickness more obvious - certainly allowing more of the lens to be visible in profile. This goes to make it harder to hide the lens thickness/integrate the lens edge in to the frame with beveling as well.

Possibly picky but I'm also not keen on the fact that IC Berlin/Mykita sometimes use a varying surface area of metal for the frame around the lens - it throws off many of their designs and tends to feminise the appearance.

poissa

Reaction score
From what I've gathered the Luxottica group owns or makes frames for: Anne Klein
Brooks Brothers
Bulgari
Burberry
Chanel
Chaps
Club Monaco

D&G
Dolce&Gabbana
DKNY
Donna Karan eyewear
Miu Miu
Polo Ralph Lauren
Prada

Ralph Lauren Purple Label
Salvatore Ferragamo
Tiffany
Tory Burch
Versace
Versus
Pearl Vision and Lenscrafters, no wonder the prices seems fixed between the two brick & mortar locations. I'd like to avoid paying one company from making a couple of frames and putting D&G, Gucci, Prada, Polo etc on the frames.

Anyone know who makes handmade frames anymore? Handmade with acetate would be one better ;-)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 80 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 35 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads