• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I go to Art School?

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haha, I promised myself I wouldn't make any of these life advice threads but nothing else seems to be helping....

Minor context: I have a general studies associate degree from community college. I live in a city with a very good art school - so if I attended I would be able to keep up with my social/business network. I think my portfolio is good enough to get me in to most art schools (with the exception of European ones, or more design-oriented ones) but my budget is way below most art schools.

So Styleforum; should I go to art school?

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No. It will make you no more an artist than an MBA makes a laypersons a financial genius

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
No. It will make you no more an artist than an MBA makes a laypersons a financial genius

Probably a valid criticism. I don't want to go to "become an artist" though. I want to go so I have a degree in the field and higher eligibility for salaried jobs.

The most appealing thing about art school for me right now is the access it would give me to technology and apparatus necessary for more elaborate sculptural, electronic or interactive pieces. Also the technical know-how to use such.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jekyll
Could you do it without loans?

No. But I could probably finish in two years, effectively cutting tuition in half.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
I'll elaborate. The best reason to go to art school is to learn the valuable life lesson that art school is a waste of money. Art schools are little more than excuses to concentrate hipsters in an urban area and to collect money from their rich parents to pay the wages of faculty members whose own art can't quite make a decent living on its own.

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jekyll
Could you do it without loans?

+1 Also, how much does it cost?

dave

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Magician
Probably a valid criticism. I don't want to go to "become an artist" though. I want to go so I have a degree in the field and higher eligibility for salaried jobs.

The most appealing thing about art school for me right now is the access it would give me to technology and apparatus necessary for more elaborate sculptural, electronic or interactive pieces. Also the technical know-how to use such.

to be contrarian:

I went to Art school for 5 years and ended up w 2 degrees. the reel i developed helped me get my first interview (which i got) and i haven't looked back. I know more people in my industry because of it and have had a decent amount of success as a result. however, i worked harder while in school than most ever will in their lives. if you're not prepared to do that then don't even bother. in the end, with art/design, if you're not the best, you're irrelevant.

in the end, school is school. if you treat it as a way to gain access to machines and tech that you wouldn't otherwise have, and don't squander that, it's worth it. if you want to go have a "college experience" you will be wasting a LOT of time and even more money.

all that crap said, if you want to be a "fine artist" dont waste the effort. if you want to go into a tech/design oriented field, be prepared to do what it will take. in school and every day after.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i went to art school and it mostly gives you access to rich fucktards dedicated only to extending adolescence.

Originally Posted by Magician

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Sounds like my kind of place kunk.

ya. lots of homos coming out of the closet at art school.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i went to art school and it mostly gives you access to rich fucktards dedicated only to extending adolescence.

Which one?

Also I don't disagree with anything you or Stephenhero said. I live a stone's throw from MICA and am very aware of the culture.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
SVA

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

That's the beauty of student loans. Non-rich fucktards can now extend it too.

Magi, if that's your passion, go for it. You don't seem to be a guy that orients around money or financial security, so why not?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads