• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

standing up when you talk to a lady

Infrasonic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
It's not complicated. She excuses herself from the table and you stand as she leaves. Sit down and upon her return, pop back up until she sits.

Crazy, huh?

lefty

Although by doing this you are drawing the attention of the whole room to the fact that your wife is going to the toilet...
devil.gif

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
not standing up for women and not looking someone in the eye when you shake are 2 of my biggest pet peeves.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Though I still am very big on many chivalrous acts, people seem to forget that they were done because women were considered to be weaker and/or sillier than men. I always keep that in mind when deciding whether or not to perform such actions for a co-worker or strange [not particularly old] woman.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i have not forgotten that this is true.

Originally Posted by Jodum5
Though I still am very big on many chivalrous acts, people seem to forget that they were done because women were considered to be weaker and/or sillier than men. I always keep that in mind when deciding whether or not to perform such actions for a co-worker or strange [not particularly old] woman.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My solution to this is to show women these courtesies in social situations, but not in business situations. In business situations, I try to treat women and men the same way. I adopted this after a woman chewed me out for opening a door for her.
plain.gif

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
pissed myself off. friend of my wife's (wife of a friend) comes into the coffee shop and I say hello, and she stops to ask me a question. I didn't pop to my feet when she came in, jsut to say hello, but then it developed into a conversation. I really felt ackward talkig to her with me sitting and her standing, but I also felt that she would find it ackward if I popped to my feet after a minutes of talking.

anybody else feel bad about getting in that situation?

Globetrotter, you bring up a very interesting topic. We all want to think we have style but do we really act like we have style or just dress like it? I could use a little more of this. Thanks for the reminder.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
I like your style, bro.
Thanks, kid.
Originally Posted by Infrasonic
Although by doing this you are drawing the attention of the whole room to the fact that your wife is going to the toilet...
devil.gif

When my wife walks to the restroom she gets all the attention in the room anyway so I'm just going with the flow. So to speak.
I've yet to meet a women who thought it demeaning that I held a door open for her, though it's about 75/25 for thank you/silence. The silence mostly come from young girls. Almost always get a thank you when I hold the door open for a guy. lefty

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've yet to meet a women who thought it demeaning that I held a door open for her, though it's about 75/25 for thank you/silence. The silence mostly come from young girls. Almost always get a thank you when I hold the door open for a guy.

lefty

This is my experience as well except the 75/25 ratio is a lot lower in my area.

Infrasonic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've yet to meet a women who thought it demeaning that I held a door open for her, though it's about 75/25 for thank you/silence. The silence mostly come from young girls. Almost always get a thank you when I hold the door open for a guy.

lefty

Yeah I never got that one. Surely it is just common courtesy to hold the door for someone regardless of gender. Although it does seem to be a dying grace amongst the young...

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
Globetrotter, you bring up a very interesting topic. We all want to think we have style but do we really act like we have style or just dress like it? I could use a little more of this. Thanks for the reminder.

my pleasure - I found the whole thing very interesting, because I have the feeling I'll never do it again, I felt so uncomfortable over it, and have had a mild feeling of guilt since then.

I remember my brother having discussions with my parents over this, when he went away to college = that nobody else did it and he felt akward, but my parents insisted that it was important. I have been pretty good at keeping it up, but we all get a little sloppy sometimes. this was a little reminder to keep up standards.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Next week's topic - walking through a door before a woman does.

lefty

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Next week's topic - walking through a door before a woman does. lefty
This and opening doors both create some major timing issues. Doors: that point where if you enter without holding the door, it slams in her face, but if you hold it she feels inclined to rush forward because she's still a distance away. Entering: the point where you would come close to pushing past her, but if you wait, she'll probably wait, and then there's the "you first" thing that leaves them feeling like they're wasting your time. Edit: I also have a very difficult time saying not ma'am when I'm asked not too. I don't have a hard age, but if she's older than me or occupies a position above me, then I say ma'am. Otherwise I end up with the "yes ma'am... oh- sorry about that...uhhhhh..." situation.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I try to do this as often as possible but sometimes its just impossible to not look like a spastic jackoff. I ran into this a few weeks ago while I was sitting at Starbucks:

Me - by myself at table reading
girl 1 who I sort of know walks over to say hi. I stand up to greet her (note, no face kiss since we're not familiars). proceed to invite her to sit. she does so I sit down

girl 2 who is girl 1's friend comes over. I don't know her and she's just saying hi. do I stand??? (I did and shook her hand). she decides to sit. immediately, girl 1 gets up to use the bathroom, so I get up again. after sitting down, girl 2 decides to get up and go so I stand up again.

girl 2 - "why do you keep standing up and sitting down?"

me - "I do this all the time. It's the third stage of syphilis."

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
I try to do this as often as possible but sometimes its just impossible to not look like a spastic jackoff. I ran into this a few weeks ago while I was sitting at Starbucks:

Me - by myself at table reading
girl 1 who I sort of know walks over to say hi. I stand up to greet her (note, no face kiss since we're not familiars). proceed to invite her to sit. she does so I sit down

girl 2 who is girl 1's friend comes over. I don't know her and she's just saying hi. do I stand??? (I did and shook her hand). she decides to sit. immediately, girl 1 gets up to use the bathroom, so I get up again. after sitting down, girl 2 decides to get up and go so I stand up again.

girl 2 - "why do you keep standing up and sitting down?"

me - "I do this all the time. It's the third stage of syphilis."

laugh.gif
That's hilarious.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics