• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Desktop PC Building Thread

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pokey07
Thought I could join in here...

Building my first computer. I was going through newegg and put this list together, and it looks like I got a little carried away. The only gaming I might be doing is playing SC2 and Diablo 3, but I get a little too addicted to Blizzard games, so I might actually avoid them.

Anywhere here's what I have right now
http://secure.newegg.com/Shopping/Sh...px?Submit=view
This build will also be using a i7 930 processor.

Overkill? I sort of just want to go back to Windows and get off my macbook. I'll be using it for Appreciation, teaching myself programming, and browsing the internet.

I don't think you can just link your shopping cart. Try adding the contents of your cart to a wish list and make it a public wish list. Link it then.

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pokey07
This build will also be using a i7 930 processor.

Overkill? I sort of just want to go back to Windows and get off my macbook. I'll be using it for Appreciation, teaching myself programming, and browsing the internet.

I like the Core i7 930. IMO it's the best CPU to buy for future-proofing given that the same CPU socket will work with Intel's forthcoming 6- and 8-core CPUs. Further, you can overclock that 930 to the same level of performance as some of Intel's thousand-dollar CPUs in the same family.

However, I think it's overkill for your intended use. The Core i7 will require you to buy a x58 chipset motherboard, which is not cheap. I don't think I've seen a x58 mobo for less then $200. You will also spend $250 on the CPU itself (if you can get to a MicroCenter brick & mortar store, they sell them for $199). Last, you don't want to go to a Core i7 unless you are buying triple-channel RAM, which also costs you extra (6 gigs of DDR3/1600 will run you around $170). These costs add up.

If you game the Core i7 is probably worth the cash for the increased performance. For those other uses, you can get away with a lower Core i5 CPU or maybe even one of AMD's Phenom II chips.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ace Rimmer
I like the Core i7 930. IMO it's the best CPU to buy for future-proofing given that the same CPU socket will work with Intel's forthcoming 6- and 8-core CPUs. Further, you can overclock that 930 to the same level of performance as some of Intel's thousand-dollar CPUs in the same family. However, I think it's overkill for your intended use. The Core i7 will require you to buy a x58 chipset motherboard, which is not cheap. I don't think I've seen a x58 mobo for less then $200. You will also spend $250 on the CPU itself (if you can get to a MicroCenter brick & mortar store, they sell them for $199). Last, you don't want to go to a Core i7 unless you are buying triple-channel RAM, which also costs you extra (6 gigs of DDR3/1600 will run you around $170). These costs add up. If you game the Core i7 is probably worth the cash for the increased performance. For those other uses, you can get away with a lower Core i5 CPU or maybe even one of AMD's Phenom II chips.
? LGA 1366/X58 mobos are easily had in the $100-200 range. You can even get one with USB3.0 and SATA 6GB/s. 1366 CPUs are pricey though.

daft

Reaction score
1366 motherboards are expensive for sure. Most good ones start at around $200.

pokey07

Reaction score
Yeah my setup had a 1366 for $230. And pretty much everything else named there, and it came out to about $1100. But like you said, it was overkill.

I'll be doing very little gaming, if any at all. I'm kind of just tired of my Macbook, it's getting old, and the endless amounts of ***** sprayed on it are crusting up the keyboard.

I think I'm going with:

Athlon II x3 440 (would the 955 be that much better?)
GTX 460 1GB
G.Skill Ripsaw 4gb RAM
Corsair 650W PSU
WD Caviar Black 640 GB
Gigabyte Mobo SATA/USB 3

How does that look to you guys?

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Today, kop'd Logitech X-540 5.1 speakers (50 bucks, not bad), ram (2x4gb for 8gb 10666 1333 DDR3 gskill ram, 200) and the extra case fan I needed. Still undecided on the monitor front... might just wait for something big to go on sale somewhere and then price match it, I dunno. Best I can do right now is 365.00 for a 27.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Since you said you are fine with using your TV, just hook it up to that and wait until something comes along

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
At present,

Cooler Master HAF 922 Case + extra 200mm fan
Corsair TX750W power supply
Asus MA79T deluxe motherboard
AMD Phenom II X4 965 black edition at 3.4ghz
Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB SATA III HDD at 7200rpm, 64mb cache
G-skill DDR3 1333 Ram @ 10666 8 gigabytes (2 x 4gb DIMMs)
Still needed:
-Really big monitor
-Video card
-Optical drive (but that's like 40 bucks)

Might want:
-SSD for the OS
-CPU cooler

Hopefully not forgetting anything.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stevester1
Link? Or were they used?
Got them at memoryexpress and price matched some shop in Ontario I forget the name of. Dropped it from 109.99 to 52.00.

Ace I don't even know that there's a significant difference between optical drives at this point, is there? I mean aside from spending the extra to get a blu ray RW, as far as I know there's no reason to spend more than 40 bucks, and within that price range there's no real difference among products.

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JD_May
Ace I don't even know that there's a significant difference between optical drives at this point, is there? I mean aside from spending the extra to get a blu ray RW, as far as I know there's no reason to spend more than 40 bucks, and within that price range there's no real difference among products.

You're right, it matters only if you are a heavy user of your drive. I'm probably not telling you anything you don't know already but a 20x drive isn't a 20x drive in "reality" most of the times as rip times tend to vary across the board.

Not only that, certain features differ wildly among various manufacturers -- my last PC had a Lite-On DVD ROM that was loud as hell. I mean loud like listening to a swarm of angry bees loud. Occasionally the drive mechanism would slip and the disc would spin at hyper-fast speed until I powered down the PC! I haven't bought any Lite-On optical drives since.
laugh.gif

However, for the average user I do not think it makes much of a difference beyond personal preference.

I am in the process of creating/buying a NMT (networked media tank) or HTPC. I need to rip over 250+ (legally purchased) DVDs to ISO format so I can load them onto the NMT's hard drive(s). I also am converting 400+ audio CDs to mp3 format so I can put them on the same hard drive(s). Needless to say, my optical drives get a lot of use so it matters a bit.

KenN

Reaction score
I had the X-540, but I replaced them with the Z-5500 when Dell had them on sale.

You should keep your eye open on dell.ca for cheap 24" or 27" monitors.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Dell charges literally double for their monitors and frankly it isn't remotely worth it for better viewing angles. I have considered just getting a 30" lcd tv... Don't know if that's a worthwhile plan, I guess the response time is the big question.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads