• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing Gentleman's Traveler

z7f9q

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kennyyboy
kgmessier, neither the 7.5 or the 8 is giving me any slippage. I could wear either size and they feel perfect, except the 8 just feels a tiny bit more relaxed than the 7.5 and also a bit longer in length.

If both the 7.5 and 8 fit, go with the 7.5 for sure. It'll loosen up as you break it in.

JTK

Reaction score
Go w/ 7.5 and they'll break in nicely!

kgmessier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will say that it's solid leather, so it may take longer than you're used to breaking them in. Still, you'll be much happier with the 7.5s, methinks.

z7f9q

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kgmessier
I will say that it's solid leather, so it may take longer than you're used to breaking them in. Still, you'll be much happier with the 7.5s, methinks.

Black Cherry especially, supposedly. I know it took me a bit of time to break them in. Nothing too bad though.

Johdus Fanfoozal

Reaction score
How do GT's handle in snow? I'm deciding between them and the Chippewa 25290 to brave a Northeast winter.
chippewa_25290.0.jpg

obiter dictum

Reaction score
The sole is a little slippery on ice, otherwise they handle admirably.

sockpuppets

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johdus Fanfoozal
How do GT's handle in snow?

I'm deciding between them and the Chippewa 25290 to brave a Northeast winter.

chippewa_25290.0.jpg

I would go for the more aggressive Chippewa sole myself.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My GTs performed admirably in the snow - I remember walking home through a slushy snowstorm in about 8 inches of snow - took me 30-40 minutes, dry feet, never slipped.

aaaeeeiiiooouuu

Reaction score
To those who own both, how do the GTs' sizing compare to Clark's DBs' sizing?

sockpuppets

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aaaeeeiiiooouuu
To those who own both, how do the GTs' sizing compare to Clark's DBs' sizing?
GTs are much narrower. I couldn't size down in mine because I'm a little wide and wound up selling them anyway because they were uncomfortable. Might I also suggest looking at the Wolverine 1000 mile? After selling my GT's I wound up with the 1k mile in both rust and black and find their fit much more reasonable.

aaaeeeiiiooouuu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sockpuppets
GTs are much narrower. I couldn't size down in mine because I'm a little wide and wound up selling them anyway because they were uncomfortable.

Might I also suggest looking at the Wolverine 1000 mile? After selling my GT's I wound up with the 1k mile in both rust and black and find their fit much more reasonable.

Just placed an order for cherry GTs - same size as my DBs since the consensus seems to be that they're really narrow. Got 'em from Baker's Shoe for around $200 w/ coupon code "baker".

I like the 1000s but I don't think they make 'em in a color similar to cherry GTs.

kgmessier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aaaeeeiiiooouuu
Just placed an order for cherry GTs - same size as my DBs since the consensus seems to be that they're really narrow. Got 'em from Baker's Shoe for around $200 w/ coupon code "baker".
Yup, the GTs are narrower than the DBs. I own 8.5 in both, which is half a size smaller than what I typically wear. - Keith

xM.

Reaction score
I'm a 9 in my clarks DBs and an 8.5 in GTs. Nobody asked, but yeah.

tango5082

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just got my 9011...sweet........Can't wait to break them in...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads