• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacket: shoulders fit, tight chest vs. chest fits, too big shoulders...

Jay687

Reaction score
Which is the better option for OTR?

I have a fairly thick chest/back compared to my shoulders.

What fits well on my shoulders for a 36" will pull at my chest (measure 38").

Yet, when i go to 38" they are also adjusting for your entire frame to be larger, not just chest measurement. So, then the shoulders are a bit big.

Which comprise is best?

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why not try a different brand?

Sounds like you have narrow shoulders for a 38. Some brands are cut narrower in the shoulder then others.

KingOfTheForum

Reaction score
You can have the chest adjusted. Take that into consideration. I'd like to now just how over-sized the shoulders are and how tight the chest is.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You can take the shoulders in, but it's much much easier to buy a good fit in the shoulders and adjust from there.

hobscrk777

Reaction score
I thought that any chest alteration - whether letting it out or taking it in - was quite difficult. Is this not true?

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hobscrk777
I thought that any chest alteration - whether letting it out or taking it in - was quite difficult. Is this not true?

I think it depends a bit on how near the armhole you are. If you're not too close, it should be essentially the same as taking in or letting out the waist. Letting things out always depends on how much seam allowance you have.

OttoSkadelig

Reaction score
OP, you will want a roomy american brand, or one with an american-ish cut.

also, if you are large-chested, go for a 2B, which will be more forgiving -- a 3B may require closure at precisely the point of stress.

KingOfTheForum

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hobscrk777

It's not very difficult to take in the chest. However, your movement will be severely restricted if too much needs to be taken in.

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by OttoSkadelig
also, if you are large-chested, go for a 2B, which will be more forgiving -- a 3B may require closure at precisely the point of stress.

What makes you say this? Unless he's buttoning the top button, it's no different.

S. Able

Reaction score
You need to shop around a lot and pay attention to the different makers and models you are trying. Some of the Italian makers have relatively narrower shoulders. If you have a really, really good alterations tailor, you can remove the sleeves and narrower the shoulders. This is not cheap and has its risks, but I have had some sucess with it. The only other real option is custom/bespoke or good MTM.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jay687
Which is the better option for OTR?

I have a fairly thick chest/back compared to my shoulders.

What fits well on my shoulders for a 36" will pull at my chest (measure 38").

Yet, when i go to 38" they are also adjusting for your entire frame to be larger, not just chest measurement. So, then the shoulders are a bit big.

Which comprise is best?

I would stay with the 36 and have the chest and sides let out if need be, nothing looks worse then when the jacket is too big in the shoulders. You look like you do not know what size you are and it distracts from the intention of the outfit.

Made in California

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aaronabbott
Hi,
Nice post.. Keep it up......

You, too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads