• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How would you deal with the "wannabee baller" friend?

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
Post an ad on craigslist, I'm sure you'll find some friends.

lol8[1].gif

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
any chance we could send this guy out to Florida and hang for a month with flmm's Pat? I'm sure sf could be persuaded to pay his way for a shot at epicness

Saltricks

Reaction score
Another Night

I'm writing this while it is still fresh in memory, as this happened just this past weekend. My friend, Derrick, was visiting from Northern California. I decided to take him and a group of my friends (douchefriend included) to Taps Fish House and Brewery, which has the best Cream Ale made by man. Now Derrick had met douchefriend before, but had generally remembered him as, in his words, "a pretty normal guy". Our night would prove that first impressions CAN be forgotten, given enough evidence to the contrary opinion.

First thing I noticed about douchefriend was his new pair of Bruno Magli's. Besides the obvious parallel I created between him and another famous Bruno Magli aficionado, I realized he (well, his mother) had bought them after he had gotten denied entry to a trendy lounge because he was wearing inappropriate shoes. It was a few weeks earlier, and before we had left for the lounge, I remember specifically telling him to "dress classy", which he understood to mean: three buttons undone unironed Abercrombie shirt, ratty looking acid washed jeans with holes in them (made by True Religion), and a gawdy pair of Lacoste sneakers"”clean, but burnished with what appeared to be rainbow colored clown vomit. He almost threw a fit when the bouncer said he was "dressed too casually". Eyeing my mirror shined AE Strands in Walnut, he vowed that he would get a nice pair of shoes and that he would start "dressing better". This apparently meant having TWO buttons undone on his wrinkled Hollister shirt, collar up, wearing the same ratty true religions, and NOW, a pair of (already stained) Bruno Magli cap toes.

Anyway, we start drinking (uh-oh), and douchefriend wastes no time getting reacquainted with Derrick. After the generic helloswhathaveyoubeenupto's, the first thing he asks is: "Hey, do you remember Tran (my other, normal, friend)? Do you think he's weirder than me?". Derrick is a little thrown off guard and he ignored the question. "No seriously, on a scale of one to ten. ..if Tran's, say, six, what would that make me?" Derrick smartly avoided a straight answer. Douchefriend wouldn't let up. "What about who is better looking?" He turned to Dee, my cute friend, and asks, "Do you think I look better looking than Tran?" Dee doesn't answer. "So he looks better than me? Why? He's just a typical chinky ****! With chinky eyes. You know...those eyes...***********, ***********!" Dee is Korean. Feeling that the conversation was taking an awkward turn, I decide to talk about politics. Bad idea.

The topic of stock broker regulations came up, and douchefriend mentioned that Obama was a "******* stupid idiot" because he was tightening regulations on stock brokers who made too much money. "I'm going to get paid less now!" (This was after he went on for a few minutes about how he just sits around at work goofing around). "I miss Bush. You ******* liberals just worship Obama too much, he's gonna drive this country to the ground. I mean he's the reason I'm broke right now, too much damn taxes!" "Why are you complaining? You're in the lowest tax bracket." "Whatever, he's stealing my money and giving it to those damn bums who don't work. Bush made this country great. He showed that this country doesn't take ****, and he kept us strong and made us rich." "What about the trillion dollar deficit he helped create?" "Oh, you wouldn't understand...you liberals just suck on Obama's dick all day". Classy.

The bar closes, so we decided to walk around a bit and hit up Yard House. As we're walking there, we walk by these two women, who he immediately accosts. He yells randomly "You're wearing an ugly dress, and you're fat, you *****!" Thankfully they just ignore him. My friends are visibly embarrassed and try to walk away from him, but he takes not notice and keeps walking. I should note that douchefriend has been reading American Psycho and takes pleasure in how Patrick Bateman is so shallow and criticizes men and women for having bad clothes or for being fat. I guess he wanted to try it out a bit. Me and my friends hang around outside while douchefriend gets a drink from the bar. I decide to follow him. He orders a "J & B on the rocks. STRAIGHT." (any Bateman fans know that this is his preferred drink), using the douchiest rendition of Christian Bale's character I have ever heard. He even points at her when he says it. He downs the drink and when he gets the check, he writes 0.00 in bold on the tip line. He makes sure to hand her the receipt, and winks at her when he does it. She rolls her eyes in disgust.Then he made his way to the other side of the bar where orders another drink from another female bartender, the same exact way, including the pointing. I notice that they aren't even giving him J& B (I don't think they carry it), but some other cheap scotch. He doesn't notice anyway. 0.00 Tip Bold, given with a wink. I see him bust out his cellphone to take a picture of his accomplishment. Wow.

He heads outside, bragging about how he just "owned" the bartender. He shouts: "Bitches like assholes, so I'll be an asshole. 0 tip baby! Yeah I showed that *****, she probably wants me now so bad!" Derrick and me try to convince him that there is a big difference between being an alpha male and being a raging asshole, but he doesn't listen. In fact, he steps it up a notch. Some cute girls come walking out the door, and he shouts at them: "You girls are drunk, I'm calling the cops!" but they ignore him and keep walking. Determined to be heard, he screams "...and you're fat too. Stupid fat whores!". This ticks the skinnier one off and she walks up to him (his back was turned to her) and says, with the most terrifying grimace I have seen on a woman, "What did you say? Who are you talking to?!". I see douchefriend visibly gulp and whisper "Nothing. I'm talking to myself." "That's right, you little dicked *****," she says. It's one thing to be an asshole, but for the love of God, at least back it up. The only thing worse than an asshole is a WANABEE asshole, who is actually just a ***** on the inside. Douchefriend didn't talk much the rest of the night. Needless to say, Derrick changed his opinion of douchefriend.

-wish I was kidding, but I'm not

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
awesome. one serious piece of advice - make sure you see the inevitable beatdown coming to him on one of these nights and stay well clear of it.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saltricks
Then we go to the bar and he orders some doochy drink (martini...shaken not stirred...HE SAYS THAT)

OK, what's a good manly drink to order?

ZhiMingBuFanDe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HRoi
awesome. one serious piece of advice - make sure you see the inevitable beatdown coming to him on one of these nights and video tape it and post on SF.

FTFY.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
LOL J&B on the rocks...straight.
laugh.gif

I think you could become famous by video taping him (without his knowledge) and posting it on youtube.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you can serve him up on a platter so some MTV reality show. seriously this is a gold mine you're sitting on.

EMY

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LawrenceMD
you can serve him up on a platter so some MTV reality show. seriously this is a gold mine you're sitting on.

he probably auditioned for k-town. haha

captoe

Reaction score
LOL that J&B on the rocks straight had me cackling!

Saltricks

Reaction score
If you watch the clip below, at 7:38 seconds, you can see the part of the movie that inspired douchefriends mannerism for the night. Notice how he once again misquoted a line (Fresh as I return!).
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Damn OP, do you hang out with this guy a lot? I have a similar douchey friend and while I don't ditch him outright I don't think I could hang out with him more than once a month.

Saltricks

Reaction score
Originally Posted by robertorex
Damn OP, do you hang out with this guy a lot? I have a similar douchey friend and while I don't ditch him outright I don't think I could hang out with him more than once a month.

Sometimes I see the phone ring, with his picture on the caller ID and I just stare at the phone until it stops ringing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads