• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
maybe car guys don't have a lot else going on besides nuance of performance.

I was thinking something along this line. Then again, if it was just performance or driving dynamics, I think we could all come up with better choices that the M class. IMO, the M class is actually a blend of driving performance, luxury, and asthetics. They just see their choice as reflecting "car guy," when in fact, if you were a pure "car guy" under their definition, there are better choices.

btinl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
Gnatty or anyone with a BMW. When getting new tires, do you stick with the run flats or get regular tires?
One more question. Want new rims for snow tires on a 335, where to kop?

When my RFTs wore out, I got new 19s and non-RFTs. I then put snow tires on my OEM wheels.

jkirk

Reaction score
2009 BMW 328xi in white. Can't find any great pictures of the exterior but the interior is what sold me on it. Never had any problems with it except I seem to be wearing out the back tires too quickly.
laugh.gif
If you ever think of getting a BMW, definitely take a look at this leather in person, it absolutely makes the car.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
only new jersey residents buy white cars

jkirk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
only new jersey residents buy white cars
I thought that was white sunglasses?
facepalm.gif
edit: Whiteslashasian beat me to it, heh.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rocks
He is indeed right though; non car guys are guys like yourself who is more concerned with cosmetics than driving dynamics. The BMW is not as much of a luxury machine; however, it is more a drivers machine than what Audi and Merc will ever be. I could care less about Audi's fancy interior, I buy cars for the driving dynamics and that is why I am a BMW enthusiast. And this is not to take a jab at you non car guys, it is just a matter of personal preference. I hope BMW stays on this route, leave the luxury and refinement to Audi, Lexus and Merc and keep making cars that are phenomenal to drive.

Thanks for expanding, true there are purer cars like porsches, lotus etc so that is obviously not the only consideration when it comes to choosing a bimmer and it's not to say all bimmer drivers are car guys. However, I have never known a guy who values the driving experience from a performance and feel dynamic to choose an audi or mb over bmw. Audi is the perfect alternative for those who don't want to fall into the bmw or merc stereotype, they want something different yet nice at the same time. They're somewhat like hipsters in that they don't realize by doing this they are all alike, which is why they're so easy to peg lol. They tend to be creative types, most of my cousin's friends from art center drive audis. After owning an audi (which is usually their first nice car), they suddenly take a more active interest in cars sup kunk.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i can live with that desrciption.
lol8[1].gif

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
Thanks for expanding, true there are purer cars like porsches, lotus etc so that is obviously not the only consideration when it comes to choosing a bimmer and it's not to say all bimmer drivers are car guys. However, I have never known a guy who values the driving experience from a performance and feel dynamic to choose an audi or mb over bmw. Audi is the perfect alternative for those who don't want to fall into the bmw or merc stereotype, they want something different yet nice at the same time. They're somewhat like hipsters in that they don't realize by doing this they are all alike, which is why they're so easy to peg lol. They tend to be creative types, most of my cousin's friends from art center drive audis. After owning an audi (which is usually their first nice car), they suddenly take a more active interest in cars sup kunk.

There we go. Agreed.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
you guys are fast

you like that huh kunk

pio are you talking about an M class suv you keep referring to?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
you guys are fast

you like that huh kunk

pio are you talking about an M class suv you keep referring to?

Jet, I drive SUVs but I understand the "car guy" vs. "non car guy" talk was about cars. I'm just trying to point out that the M class cars are also a compromise. As you've agreed, there are plenty of cars that are more pure diving machines, so the M class is also a compromise from pure "car guy-dom."

IMO, right now the cream of SUVs is the Q5. What a great little driving machine and combination of features. Sadly, their residual sucks arse (low 40s).

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Ah I thought you meant the M class suv didn't realize you meant bmw m cars my apologies.

Yes they're more swiss army knives of sports cars.

john08

Reaction score
Cars we would like to be driving: S 350 CDI L 4MATIC BlueEFFICIENCY Sedan
36993111813356x236.jpg
The ultimate most perfected vehicle originates Germany and/or Japan. MB, Toyota/Lexus and Infiniti/Nissan > BMW/PorscheWV/AUDI/GM/FORD/Chrysler. Sorry, I had to tell you the truth.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by btinl
When my RFTs wore out, I got new 19s and non-RFTs. I then put snow tires on my OEM wheels.

This is not a bad way to go, wrt. snow tires. But if you can, try to get narrower snow tires than the OEM tires sizes: it will do better in snow, and be cheaper. Usually that also means downsizing your rims' diameters.

--Andre

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
I can agree with this. If I had only one car, then it would be BMW.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads