• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Every leasing cycle, we go look at BMW as part of our due diligence. Fugly dashboard/consoles, spartan interiors. This only addresses the SUVs, as that's all we're interested in. Can't speak to the cars.
I look at a few of the BMW models when I'm in the market to trade my bigger car. In fact, I stopped by the dealer today to look at them on the lot as I was returning to Indy. I've owned them in years past but haven't been excited enough about them in recent years to purchase one. I'm starting to like the current line-up more than I've liked them in the past.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
Just never been a bimmer fan

ya non-car guys who want to be different usually go the audi or merc route

Trauma

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
^ya i don't know why they think they can ask what they do that car should be 70

still would rather cop m3 over that any day since it's a more of a driver's car than audi will ever be

yeah I really wanted to like the S5 when I drove it, beautiful car. It was obvious it was more luxury than sport when compared to the 335i.

The driving feel of the BMW won me over and and I left that day in a loaded 335i coupe 6speed.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
^yep

It's funny whenever I meet people I can tell what kind of car they drive based on their interests/personality etc. Audi drivers are the easiest to peg, not that there's anything wrong with them, I drove the s5 when it first came out but when I got back into my m3 it was clear the car wasn't for me. Beautiful cars though, their financing and lease rates suck to boot.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Describe the Audi driver. Btw I haven't been pegged yet, even though I keep asking the wife
lol8[1].gif

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
ya non-car guys who want to be different usually go the audi or merc route
crackup[1].gif
I love justification like this. Caddy currently kicks M-class ass. Think on that. Apparently, I'm a "non-car guy." The W-55 Hurst-Olds I had in my teens would like to argue over that, but whatever.
wink.gif

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
New tires today.

The damage?

$2,100

plain.gif

Gnatty or anyone with a BMW. When getting new tires, do you stick with the run flats or get regular tires?
One more question. Want new rims for snow tires on a 335, where to kop?

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
Gnatty or anyone with a BMW. When getting new tires, do you stick with the run flats or get regular tires? One more question. Want new rims for snow tires on a 335, where to kop?
i recently switched my cooked oem run flats for regular tires. the ride quality is noticeably better, but i am well and truly screwed if i get a flat (i have roadside assistance, but usually no time to waste sitting by the side of the road).

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
I look at a few of the BMW models when I'm in the market to trade my bigger car. In fact, I stopped by the dealer today to look at them on the lot as I was returning to Indy. I've owned them in years past but haven't been excited enough about them in recent years to purchase one. I'm starting to like the current line-up more than I've liked them in the past.

I saw an F10 5 series on the street the other day. It is a really good looking car, with no need for excuses like the E60.

Gnatty or anyone with a BMW. When getting new tires, do you stick with the run flats or get regular tires?

Tirerack.com for rims and/or snow tires. They're a great idea for where you live.

People like replacing run-flats with regular tires, but it's a matter of trade-offs: better ride quality and potentially better handling with regulars vs. not being stuck somewhere and super expensive tire replacements with the run-flats. If you go regular, get a tire repair kit with a bottle of tire sealing goo and electric inflator. The goo will ruin your tire, forcing you to replace it, but at least it's an option if you're in the middle of nowhere.

--Andre

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

I've never bought snow tires before, but if I had to choose a set of wheels for them, I'd go on one of those fake OEM style wheel sites (or on ebay if you find out the BMW styling number) and get the style that BMW 'recommends' as their optional winter wheel - these sites always have them. They're usually 5-spoke wheels that are easier to clean out, the fakes, per set, cost about what BMW charges for one of the genuine ones. Probably one of the only times I'd put something fake on a car, but for something like that I think it works. Get the right caps and stickers and it'll look good too.

epb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
I've owned them in years past but haven't been excited enough about them in recent years to purchase one. I'm starting to like the current line-up more than I've liked them in the past.

It drives car friends of mine crazy, but this is exactly my relationship with Porsche recently. I know the cars are good, but I just can't get excited about owning one since the 996/986 debuted.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Originally Posted by A Y
People like replacing run-flats with regular tires, but it's a matter of trade-offs: better ride quality and potentially better handling with regulars vs. not being stuck somewhere and super expensive tire replacements with the run-flats. If you go regular, get a tire repair kit with a bottle of tire sealing goo and electric inflator. The goo will ruin your tire, forcing you to replace it, but at least it's an option if you're in the middle of nowhere.

--Andre

I was essentially going to say this. The M3 don't come with run flats, so I've never faced this issue with my current car. My previous car, a 335i, did come with run flats, and I switched them out when it came time to do so, and carried around the emergency tire inflator and goo. They don't seem to last very long, ride quality is not great, and just a hassle if you get a flat.

rocks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
crackup[1].gif

I love justification like this.

Caddy currently kicks M-class ass. Think on that.

Apparently, I'm a "non-car guy." The W-55 Hurst-Olds I had in my teens would like to argue over that, but whatever.
wink.gif

He is indeed right though; non car guys are guys like yourself who is more concerned with cosmetics than driving dynamics. The BMW is not as much of a luxury machine; however, it is more a drivers machine than what Audi and Merc will ever be. I could care less about Audi's fancy interior, I buy cars for the driving dynamics and that is why I am a BMW enthusiast. And this is not to take a jab at you non car guys, it is just a matter of personal preference. I hope BMW stays on this route, leave the luxury and refinement to Audi, Lexus and Merc and keep making cars that are phenomenal to drive.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rocks
He is indeed right though; non car guys are guys like yourself who is more concerned with cosmetics than driving dynamics. The BMW is not as much of a luxury machine; however, it is more a drivers machine than what Audi and Merc will ever be. I could care less about Audi's fancy interior, I buy cars for the driving dynamics and that is why I am a BMW enthusiast. And this is not to take a jab at you non car guys, it is just a matter of personal preference. I hope BMW stays on this route, leave the luxury and refinement to Audi, Lexus and Merc and keep making cars that are phenomenal to drive.

You are defining "non-car guys" as ones that do not chose a car that puts driving dynamics first. As there are many facets to any car, a myriad of ways to personally rank each facet, this is a rather narrow definition of "car guy." Further, choice is also rarely determined by the single factor of driving dynamics (or any other single factor for that matter). For many of us, our vehicles have to serve multiple stake holders and uses. Thus, even if we accept this very narrow definition of "car guy" = appreciation of driving dynamics, it would still be specious to warrant your classification based on buying decision, since buying decision is almost never determined solely on any one characteristic of a vehicle.

As I said, the statement is merely a rationalization of his choice. I pick X because I am a "car guy" and you guys didn't chose my pick, ergo you're a "non car guy." It doesn't lead to follow, if you will.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
maybe car guys don't have a lot else going on besides nuance of performance.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads