• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official Golf Thread

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lemmywinks
I've been playing golf in and out for most of my life and I seriously want to get back into it again but I have no equipment. What do you guys recommend for gear - that's clubs, shoes, balls, gloves, bags and all that jazz. I'm kind of conscious of the whole 'buying good gear when you clearly aren't worthy of that gear' mindset especially since I'm a younger golfer.

Opinions? thoughts?

Troll phail. Isn't this persona supposedly 18 or 19 years old?

Hit range yesterday. Swing development in progress.

imschatz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Troll phail. Isn't this persona supposedly 18 or 19 years old?

Hit range yesterday. Swing development in progress.

I'm 24 and I've been playing off and on most of my life. Probably started when I was 4-5, until now.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I played a round yesterday, and I had a big breakthrough. It was pretty incredible - the work I've been putting in just came together all at once. I think my short game will be a strength, which surprises me because the first few times I practiced it were really rough.

My putting has really developed - I hit a ~15 foot putt downhill from the fringe, and I nearly chipped one in from ~10 feet off the green (lipped the cup and spun out). Suffice it to say I felt pretty freakin' good about those.

I still have work to do on my driver, but I'm getting more consistent. Me tee shots were mostly good, solid contact, and my distance has improved. I just need to straighten it out.

My biggest struggle thus far has been hitting from the grass. I just could not make clean contact reliably, and I was hitting really thin. By the time we hit the back nine yesterday I was making solid contact on most of my shots, so that was really reassuring.

Overall, it was a great day. I told my brother at some point that I finally felt like a legit golfer, though I still suck.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imschatz
I'm 24 and I've been playing off and on most of my life. Probably started when I was 4-5, until now.
Nice young start. Still don't see how a 19 y/o plays most of his life, has zero equipment and now needs buying advice on everything from shoes to balls. /shrug Sounds like a great day on the course, G.

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
after about a 2 week hiatus, i went and hit a bucket of balls. swing felt great. my problem last time i was on the course seemed to have worked itself out of my system. i was coming over the top with my back shoulder causing me to pull everything left. i could always feel it, but now it feels great. i pray that it doesn't revert for my golf outing in a week.

airblaster503

Reaction score
Originally Posted by archetypal_yuppie
I'd like to try to play a round of golf with persimmon woods and tiny little blade irons. Lets say, Jack Nicklaus's 1975 set of clubs. I wonder how much more difficult it would be.

I imagine it would add at least 4-5 strokes to a 5-handicap's score and 10 strokes to a 15's.

Of course most courses are longer now than they were then, but they're also in much better condition.

It sucks that golf takes so long that it feels like a waste to experiment on any given round. I'd love to play a round with just SW, 7-iron, 3-wood too, but it never seems like the right time. I bet a lot of courses wouldn't let you tee off with just those clubs in your bag, too. My local public course has rules to prevent non-golfers from playing.

I picked up a old set with persimmon woods at a garage sale a few years ago. Also has some old blades(Spalding elite centurion). I will play them sometimes just to mess around. The woods go straight as an arrow but I definitely lose quite a bit of distance, the irons surprisingly aren't much different from any modern set of blades I have played and I really don't lose but a couple yards in each club with them.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Stack and Tilt. Discuss.

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stack and Tilt. Discuss.

I think there is a ton of ways to hit a golf ball. It obviously works for some. Each person's swing has their own little twist to it. I don't think I'd ever be able to do it because to me that is just way too much body movement to be consistent, but apparently the people who use it say just the opposite. The reverse C back position after impact seems like a recipe for catching things fat. I also don't agree with what they say about how your body weight shifts during the backswing.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stylish Pilot
I think there is a ton of ways to hit a golf ball. It obviously works for some. Each person's swing has their own little twist to it. I don't think I'd ever be able to do it because to me that is just way too much body movement to be consistent, but apparently the people who use it say just the opposite. The reverse C back position after impact seems like a recipe for catching things fat. I also don't agree with what they say about how your body weight shifts during the backswing.
Actually, what I've read and seen on youtube so far, the fact there are a ton of ways to hit a golf ball is their basic premise. Ton of ways to grip a club, to set up, etc. They totally agree with your statement. What don't you agree about their statements on body weight shifts during the backswing?

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually, what I've read and seen on youtube so far, the fact there are a ton of ways to hit a golf ball is their basic premise. Ton of ways to grip a club, to set up, etc. They totally agree with your statement.

What don't you agree about their statements on body weight shifts during the backswing?

From what I've seen studying swings and such from various pros, reading, and doing a lot of research developing my own swing, you're shoulder turn should be full enough to be behind the ball. This coils you (if you notice, the weight in your left leg should be transfered to the inside of your left foot indicating a rearward weight shift) and transfers some of your weight to your back leg. Then on the down swing all this unwinds, hips turn and transfers weight to your straightening left leg, right heel off the ground.

Tiger, left foot rolled in, right knee bent and taking most of the weight. coiled behind the ball
Tiger-BackswingShift.jpg

Baddely stack and tilt. weight way forward on the left side.
inil03_stackandtilt0706.jpg

Stack and tilt just creates a steep angle to the ball. if you descend really hard into it you are obviously going to have very crisp shots with a lot of backspin.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
All you've said is exactly correct, as I understand it. Repeatedly being able to hit the ground where you desire.

Reaction score
Just got the new TaylorMade burner driver and have been killing it off the box so far

Looking to upgrade irons soon as well

Game's at its best right now

pscolari

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From what I've seen studying swings and such from various pros, reading, and doing a lot of research developing my own swing, you're shoulder turn should be full enough to be behind the ball. This coils you (if you notice, the weight in your left leg should be transfered to the inside of your left foot indicating a rearward weight shift) and transfers some of your weight to your back leg. Then on the down swing all this unwinds, hips turn and transfers weight to your straightening left leg, right heel off the ground.

Tiger, left foot rolled in, right knee bent and taking most of the weight. coiled behind the ball
Tiger-BackswingShift.jpg

Baddely stack and tilt. weight way forward on the left side.
inil03_stackandtilt0706.jpg

Stack and tilt just creates a steep angle to the ball. if you descend really hard into it you are obviously going to have very crisp shots with a lot of backspin.

Badds gave up on the stack and tilt method as of last year. I think Badds dropped it because he was close to last in driving accuracy. There are a number of people stillusing it with mixed results. Most recently, Dean Wilson flirted with winning the Canadian Open a few weeks ago but was maybe 1 or 2 of C. Petterson.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Heh, for a time I was using the Moe Norman, "Natural Golf" (?) way of playing and I found that I could hammer the ball, most of the time. But when I watched other golfers, the classical elements of their swing kept creeping in to my swing and giving me grief. Finally I decided to revert back to the Hogan book and go from there.

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrG
My biggest struggle thus far has been hitting from the grass.

So, every shot that's not on a tee?

Breaking par did not work out for me. I was one under til the sixth, then triple-bogeyed a 120yd par three. Haven't practiced from the sand in a few years, and I have a peculiar knack for almost never hitting into bunkers. So chunked bunker shot, bladed bunker shot into another bunker... made a 6. Never recovered. Pretty angrifying.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads