• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Some random day last week, didn't have time to post,

ze12573632.jpg
ze32584093.jpg

ze22579128.jpg
ze42589397.jpg

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
From Friday, nothing too interesting so only snapped a couple of pics,
ze52595081.jpg
ze62600650.jpg

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
Some random day last week, didn't have time to post,

ze12573632.jpg
ze32584093.jpg

ze22579128.jpg
ze42589397.jpg

Excellent.

Mike

topbroker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Anaszi
New here. Hi.

p1030677y.jpg

The snarkers are wrong about your pocket handkerchief. The particular effect you achieve here has an element of historical referentiality that is quite fetching. If you look at the great 1950 film Father of the Bride and observe Don Taylor as Elizabeth Taylor's impeccable young fiance, you will see that his cotton handkerchiefs explode out of his jacket breast pocket and ride up very high as yours does here. Another example of a character who favors an "exploding" 'chief is Robert Hardy's Siegfried Farnon in the British television series All Creatures Great and Small. Since his handkerchiefs are mainly silk, they tend to flop over rather than ride up. But the look is equally insouciant.

Well done, I say!

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by w.o.e.is.me.
day 2.
simg_1156.jpg

This is doing emotional things to me. Absolutely wonderful and that shirt colour is playing superbly with both man & clothes.
inlove.gif

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by topbroker
The snarkers are wrong about your pocket handkerchief. The particular effect you achieve here has an element of historical referentiality that is quite fetching. !

The king of the high, long pocket square was also king of the Delta blues.
robertjohson.jpg

topbroker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by amplifiedheat
The king of the high, long pocket square was also king of the Delta blues.

That's a delightful picture. Thanks for sharing it!

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Phiberglass
I want that shirt.

The shirt is a Band of Outsiders, and the wallet is a 1950s Asprey crocodile with solid gold edging.

And indeed, the bag is a Want Les Essentials de la Vie De Gaulle.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by topbroker
The snarkers are wrong about your pocket handkerchief. The particular effect you achieve here has an element of historical referentiality that is quite fetching. If you look at the great 1950 film Father of the Bride and observe Don Taylor as Elizabeth Taylor's impeccable young fiance, you will see that his cotton handkerchiefs explode out of his jacket breast pocket and ride up very high as yours does here. Another example of a character who favors an "exploding" 'chief is Robert Hardy's Siegfried Farnon in the British television series All Creatures Great and Small. Since his handkerchiefs are mainly silk, they tend to flop over rather than ride up. But the look is equally insouciant.

Well done, I say!

Other good looks from world of motion pictures include:

- The Cowardly Lion from the Wizard of Oz.

- Gerald O'Hara, Scarlett's irrepressible but later demented father from Gone with the Wind.

- Genjurō, the undefeatable protagonist of Mizoguchi's masterwork of Japanese cinema.

- E. T., whose insouciant (note homage to your post) nudity in E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial moved us all during it's all too brief single run in the cinemas in the early 1980s. (Aside: if you have not seen this movie, seek out a VHS, or if you have a high-end system, a BetaMax. While Terri Garr is not as hot as she was in Young Frankenstein...itself a wealth of sartorial cues...James Cameron's early masterwork presents layer upon layer of subtle, alien-influenced information about handwork.)

- Travis Bickle from Taxi Driver. Mostly for the haircuts and ingenuity in fabricating custom fitments underneath one's clothes, but also for sheer spirit and refusal to let "the Man" dictate how one should face life.

- B

topbroker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Other good looks from world of motion pictures include:

- The Cowardly Lion from the Wizard of Oz.

- Gerald O'Hara, Scarlett's irrepressible but later demented father from Gone with the Wind.

- Genjurō, the undefeatable protagonist of Mizoguchi's masterwork of Japanese cinema.

- E. T., whose insouciant nudity in E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial moved us all during it's all too brief single run in the cinemas in the early 1980s. (Note: if you have not seen this movie, seek out a VHS, or if you have a high-end system, a BetaMax. While Terri Garr is not as hot as she was in Young Frankenstein...itself a wealth of sartorial cues...James Cameron's early masterwork presents layer upon layer of subtle, alien-influenced information about handwork.)

- Travis Bickle from Taxi Driver. Mostly for the haircuts and ingenuity in fabricating custom fitments underneath one's clothes, but also for sheer spirit and refusal to let "the Man" dictate how one should face life.

The refuge of the snarker is....more snark! Indeed, there is nowhere else for them to go. They burn the bridge back to common discourse behind them.

EDIT: I like this take by Ted Leonsis:

The era of Snark is over. It was all tangled up in an era of empty financial success...Snark is for the intellectually lazy...

Can you name me one business based on snarkiness that has been successful? Can you name me one person that you know that is snarky and rude that is happy? Has great relationships? Has life success? Can you name me one blogger that is relentless in his snideness that is successful with readers and advertisers? How about one anonymous negative message board poster that is self actualized; takes initiative; and is a winner? I know why. It is because snark is so 2004, so pre the new reality....

Snark is dead. The era of snideness and rudeness is over. I am calling the bottom.

Wit, on the other hand, is never dead -- but there are not that many Oscar Wildes and P.G. Wodehouses on Internet fora.

barims

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics