• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Seiko 5's with leather straps or alternatives

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm planning on getting my first automatic. On a strictly low budget.

I like the look of some of the Seiko 5 faces, but I'm not really a metal strap fan. I was thinking of getting one and replacing the strap with a chunky leather one, but wasn't sure about the aesthetics. Has anyone got any photos? Do I need to look for narrow 'lugs'?

Or has anyone got any suggestions for inexpensive reliable automatics with a leather strap?

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the SEIKO 5 AUTOMATIC SNKE11J1
SNKE11J1_big.jpg
Img Src: http://www.21jewels.com/productsdeta...producttype=30 http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&s...=&oq=&gs_rfai= The metallic band on this model shimmers somewhat and is very pleasing to the eye (imho). A combination of brushed and polished segments that is eye-catching but not garrish. I really enjoy wearing it, metal band and all, with respect to your own preferences. If you go SEIKO 5, make sure the design offers the option of changing the band. This model I have has a proprietary design that won't easily allow for another band.
28432-2.jpg
As far as the watch itself is concerned, it is my daily workhorse watch and is built tough.

Mr.K

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you want to start with a cheaper automatic, you can try Parnis, they can be had for around a 100.00 US. They are decent quality and sell with leather bands. The Seiko 5 would look fine on a leather band. If you look in the Seiko watch thread you should see a couple. You will also see them on NATO bands.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint

If you go SEIKO 5, make sure the design offers the option of changing the band.
This model I have has a proprietary design that won't easily allow for another band.

Thanks - is it easy to tell which will take other straps?
Originally Posted by Mr.K
If you want to start with a cheaper automatic, you can try Parnis, they can be had for around a 100.00 US. They are decent quality and sell with leather bands. The Seiko 5 would look fine on a leather band. If you look in the Seiko watch thread you should see a couple. You will also see them on NATO bands.
Thanks - the face on the models with the nato straps seem a bit fussy to my eyes. I'll have look at Parnis as well.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here are a couple from a quick googling of 'Seiko 5's with leather straps':

SNK795K-L.jpg

img0179lq.jpg

The last one was posted by AlanC in the Wath P0rn thread.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, though none of them are mine; I just found the photos.

MoK, if you aren't dead set on the Seiko 5's, there are some other nice looking Japanese-market-only Seikos, like the Seiko Spirits. I would recommend taking a look at Seiya, but unfortunately the site is down right now.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the recommendation of one or more people on this forum, I bought one of these and wear it with a variety of grosgrain and leather straps. I love the watch. It has a quality movement, and it makes a good daily beater. It is not too large, and with the cream-colored face and a leather strap, it can pass as a dress watch. The price is low (I learned) because it is "gray" market. But I'm not a watch person and I don't play one on fora.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kaplan
Here are a couple from a quick googling of 'Seiko 5's with leather straps':

SNK795K-L.jpg

Thanks - I quite like that one - I was thinking of a blue or black face with leather strap. I've only had a quick look on ebay.co.uk and amazon.co.uk and there aren't many leather strap 5's on either site.

Originally Posted by Kaplan
Thanks, though none of them are mine; I just found the photos.

MoK, if you aren't dead set on the Seiko 5's, there are some other nice looking Japanese-market-only Seikos, like the Seiko Spirits. I would recommend taking a look at Seiya, but unfortunately the site is down right now.

I'm not set on a 5 just restricted budget wise (I'm not paying for it
wink.gif
).

Originally Posted by Dewey
On the recommendation of one or more people on this forum, I bought one of these and wear it with a variety of grosgrain and leather straps.

I love the watch. It has a quality movement, and it makes a good daily beater. It is not too large, and with the cream-colored face and a leather strap, it can pass as a dress watch.

The price is low (I learned) because it is "gray" market. But I'm not a watch person and I don't play one on fora.

I'm happy grey market. I like the military watches as a casual watch, but I'm after something simpler that would go with a suit as much as a sportsjacket.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another '5' on a leather strap:

288d4395c49781ec97ffbe54.jpg

Some pics of Seiko Spirit SCVS003:

post-1577-1210318547.jpg

scvs0038lv6.jpg

484168863_42dbc56774.jpg

And yet another Seiko on leather:

7475-1.jpg

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm under the impression that the Seiko Spirit was discontinued.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ The scvs013 was discontinued earlier this year - I don't know about the one above or other Spirit models...

MMorley

Reaction score
I believe I read that there was a replacement coming up, but I have yet to see it. Seiyajapan.com doesn't seem to be working for me, so I can't check it.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ManofKent
I'm after something simpler that would go with a suit as much as a sportsjacket.

That same ebay seller has had other Seiko 5 models in the past -- not just the military version I own & linked to. He seems like a good source to do this budget automatic on a budget.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics