• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tips on Spotting Fake Rolexes

Kentishman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reevolving
...With that, there's no way you'd think he's wearing a fake.

But he knew. And that's enough. Fake is fake.

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kentishman
Fake is fake.

This is indeed grammatically correct.

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is no need to italicize the "knew" He actually started out researching the real thing. Then decided to try out a fake. Once he knew his watch was functionally identical, he felt that the people who paid for real thing were suckers. Trust me, he felt very smug, savvy, and content with his $300 widget that basically functioned the same as a $5000 widget. That's 6% of the cost. Talk about deep discount bargain shopping !

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pony up and just buy from an authorised dealer. Simples...

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I agree. If your watch is fake then you're a fake.

That's why I prefer my 18k Sub. It's impossible to fake a solid 18k gold watch for $300 much less $3000. You'd know by the weight and the tone first and foremost. Not to mention, my polishing cloth would easily rub out any goldplating exposing the steel beneath.

Nice try by the Rolex haters to come up with yet another lame reason why they can't afford the brand. Rolex purposely prices their watches out of the reach of the middle class for a reason. I have never lost money on any pre-owned Rolex I have traded in. On several, I have even made a profit after several years. No other watch can make that claim. Enjoy trading in your Breitlings and Omegas for a paltry 20% if you're lucky. Talk about a real sucker for buying one of those.

I love the envious looks my watch receives from those in the know. Rolex defines sober, understated elegance. No suits or shoes could ever match that feeling.

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually, he is a big Rolex fan.
He wears his $300 Rolex with pride!

Enjoy trading in your Breitlings and Omegas for a paltry 20% if you're lucky. Talk about a real sucker for buying one of those.

Yes, the $300 is sunk cost, but you overlook oppty cost on the $4700

I love the envious looks my watch receives from those in the know. Rolex defines sober, understated elegance. No suits or shoes could ever match that feeling.

My friend gets the same looks for $300.

Certainly one way to see things.

Or perhaps a real Rolex is the "fake".

If I sold some people an ice cream cone for $100,
sounds like you'd be upset at only paying $6...

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reevolving
Actually, he is a big Rolex fan.
He wears his $300 Rolex with pride!

Yes, the $300 is sunk cost, but you overlook oppty cost on the $4700

My friend gets the same looks for $300.

Certainly one way to see things.

Or perhaps a real Rolex is the "fake".

If I sold some people an ice cream cone for $100,
sounds like you'd be upset at only paying $6...

Spoken like a true middle class gentleman...

pegasus

Reaction score
Some of you might take an interest in this video comparing different grades of SS submariner to the real thing. He ends up with the swiss movement 300$ ish replica. As the video shows, it's easy to tell from the real deal when you have them in your hands.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...6587689437065#

incastoutcast

Reaction score
Reevolving - I think your "friend" got ripped off.

He could have easily bought an Orient Mako for about $100 - That's %33 of his cost! And it would almost certainly get him the compliments and the longevity of the "real" Rolex.

Besides, less chinese workshop manufacturing for his midde-class angst.

How does he feel buying a $300 widget when a $100 widget would have done just as well?

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Funny you mention that.
When he first told me he spent $300 on a fake Rolex, I told him he got ripped off.
You can get a Seiko for $100, etc. Or you can get a fake for much less.
After all, $300 is a lot to spend on any watch !

I think he researched intensely on some watch forums, and became fairly savvy about the entire replica market, and who exactly to buy from.
He said the maker of his particular $300 replica was the only one that would pass muster. If he could have gotten away with the $100 fake, he would have.

Lesson here is that not all replicas are made the same. It's an art form.
And Pegasus, I'm sure not all $300 replicas are the same, either.
eg: I can get a crayon and write Rolex on a watch and try to sell it for $300.

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by westinghouse

Nice try by the Rolex haters to come up with yet another lame reason why they can't afford the brand. Rolex purposely prices their watches out of the reach of the middle class for a reason.

This is too silly to be real, but too muted to be a troll. Anyway, all the watch geeks I know say that Rolex makes a decent watch, but charges a high premium for the brand. They also agree that the association of Rolex with conspicuous consumption is a strike against it. A. Lange & Söhne FTW!

corey.m

Reaction score
I would never buy a Rolex from anyone aside from an AD or personal friend.

There is a particular factory that produces fakes for around $300.

Take the 16610 for instance. There are a few flaws in the fake or "replica".

The pearl is bad, but it can be replaced. The crown guards are a little tight, but can be filed by hand. The crystal doesn't protrude as far as it should, but the bezel can be filed back and reseated. The date font is a little off, but a perfect replacement is readily available.

For around $400 and a few hours work, the result is essentially perfect.

There is another watchmaker that is producing 1:1 replicas for around $600.

These accept genuine movement, bezel, crown, crystal etc.

The rehaut engraving and etched coronet are perfect. Many people opt for a Z serial anyway. Each watch has a unique serial number.

I used to be quite dogmatic in distaste for fakes and the people that buy them.

Through my research when looking to buy a genuine watch online I discovered their communities.

The level of altruism and knowledge displayed goes far beyond TZ, WUS etc.

Many of them have extensive genuine collections.

I personally couldn't own a fake watch, but I don't look down at the people in the high end replica communities.

It does make me wonder why I'm paying over $6K AUD for watch when a single self trained man in Taiwan is making a perfect replica from the exact same materials for one tenth of the cost though.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
If you see dust in your Rolex...watch out!

- B

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads