• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

topbroker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MBreinin
There is a big difference between the real world, and SF.
laugh.gif

Re: Negative reactions to our more, ahem, committed style of dress. These words of Clay Shirky's have stayed in my mind. They have wide applicability, although, obviously, they may be a little less applicable in situations involving bosses.

It's tempting to imagine that [you] could be forceful and self-confident without being arrogant or jerky, but that's a false hope, because it's other people who get to decide when they think you're a jerk, and trying to stay under that threshold means giving those people veto power over your actions. To put yourself forward as someone good enough to do interesting things is, by definition, to expose yourself to all kinds of negative judgments, and as far as I can tell, the fact that other people get to decide what they think of your behavior leaves only two strategies for not suffering from those judgments: not doing anything, or not caring about the reaction. Not caring works surprisingly well.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by topbroker
Re: Negative reactions to our more, ahem, committed style of dress. These words of Clay Shirky's have stayed in my mind. They have wide applicability, although, obviously, they may be a little less applicable in situations involving bosses.

It's tempting to imagine that [you] could be forceful and self-confident without being arrogant or jerky, but that's a false hope, because it's other people who get to decide when they think you're a jerk, and trying to stay under that threshold means giving those people veto power over your actions. To put yourself forward as someone good enough to do interesting things is, by definition, to expose yourself to all kinds of negative judgments, and as far as I can tell, the fact that other people get to decide what they think of your behavior leaves only two strategies for not suffering from those judgments: not doing anything, or not caring about the reaction. Not caring works surprisingly well.

I am totally comfortable in my clothes, to be honest. Most people at the firm mention that they like my style and I pull it off well. My boss's point was that it took a "real man" to wear my outfit, because of the pastel colors and the pants he perceived as pink....the implication being the outfit was some how an indication that I was gay...which could not be further from the truth. We have a very casual and slovenly office. Some people have been trying now that I have decided to reject casual, but they are hopeless. LOL

Mike
'

topbroker

Reaction score
I am totally comfortable in my clothes, to be honest. Most people at the firm mention that they like my style and I pull it off well. My boss's point was that it took a "real man" to wear my outfit, because of the pastel colors and the pants he perceived as pink....the implication being the outfit was some how an indication that I was gay...which could not be further from the truth. We have a very casual and slovenly office. Some people have been trying now that I have decided to reject casual, but they are hopeless. LOL

I am always the outlier in any work setting. And I am gay, but I think it is facile (although common) to equate an interest in matters sartorial with being homosexual. Trust me, most gay men don't know how to dress either!

It does take a high level of comfort with oneself, and an ease with compliments and barbed comments alike, to be the outlier. You obviously do this well. So keep rocking the pastels, Mike!

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by topbroker
It does take a high level of comfort with oneself, and an ease with compliments and barbed comments alike, to be the outlier. You obviously do this well. So keep rocking the pastels, Mike!

Thanks, I will!

Originally Posted by mossrockss
Thanks holdfast.

After a great sabbath dinner with friends, a quick wayrn shot.

linen.jpg

I like. Classic combo that I favor myself. Nice buttons on the SC.

Mike

Augustus Davies

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Doral
Had to revert back to the tie this pass Sunday. Just noticed that my trouser leg got caught on my shoe laces!

DSC00002-4.jpg
DSC00003-4.jpg

DSC00009-1.jpg
DSC00006-3.jpg

DSC00007-2.jpg

Sharp! Dig the tie!

Augustus Davies

Reaction score
This SC rules.

Holy yellow pants, Batman! I like it though.
smile.gif

Mike

Pants cotton? Make?

Augustus Davies

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrDaniels
What kind of a job were you applying for? No offense, you look like you are dressed to be a professor. Pretty much nothing you have on falls within the usual standards of what is recommended for an interview outfit. Give us some more information and hopefully we can help you.

He is the interviewer...not the interviewee...............

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^^ Im feeling that wallet, LK.

Originally Posted by Augustus Davies
Pants cotton? Make?

Thanks - yes, cotton. They are Borrelli. (If you are speaking to me..)

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by WBaker
Very classic.

I like. Classic combo that I favor myself. Nice buttons on the SC.

Mike

Originally Posted by aeglus
Nice, white buttons makes it even better.

Thanks, guys. A non-sartorially inclined friend said to me, "you look like you should be on a yacht, with tons of beautiful women at your side in beautiful dresses, drinking high-dollar alcoholic beverages. All those things are good, but your outfit is still weird."

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mossrockss
Thanks, guys. A non-sartorially inclined friend said to me, "you look like you should be on a yacht, with tons of beautiful women at your side in beautiful dresses, drinking high-dollar alcoholic beverages. All those things are good, but your outfit is still weird."

LOL. I will take that scenario!!!

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads