• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bonsai

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
Any practitioners?

648362_f520.jpg

lefty

This was taken at the Huntington Library and Botanical Gardens. It's still there. I enjoyed this section a lot more than I thought I would.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to raise bonsai, though not at anything resembling a master artisan's level. They are very fussy plants. Because of the absurd pot size to root ball ratio, they need to be watered every single day without fail. I had two die while on vacation because the person housesitting for me forgot to water them one day.

Chiliarches

Reaction score
Hm...the pictures in this thread have singlehandedly made me consider this hobby. Goodness knows I don't have the time!

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
My girlfriend (authentic J-beezy)'s dad does bonsai, he has a bunch of old ones that he's been working on for 40, 50 years, they're elaborate, like the ones up there planted in rocks, with twisted trunks and branches. That wiring process can take like 5 years. He has them terraced in the front lawn and people passing by will stop and ask him to teach him bonsai. Dude is also worried about who is gonna take care of them when he dies.

Pezzaturra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have one of *** Maple and it is not fussy ,does not need much light, can be watered twice a month.
I train it a little with wire on a trunk and some weights on the branches, but it does not take a lot of time once you set things up. Because it is a real tree it is very robust and grows very fast.
To get the small leafs keep pruning them until the tree understands what size you want.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
brooklyn botanical garden has a great bonsai collection.

there's a guy who used to volunteer the bonsai dept actually sells bonsai online (i've bought two) and delivers them nationwide using UPS - just google bonsaiofbrooklyn.com

thats where i buy mine. i just buy bonsais though i don't create them.

here's a ginseng ficus i bought. its about two feet tall. its easy to maintain and just needs sunlight through a window.

4826226890_2ace9b25bf.jpg

oh another thing about brooklyn botanical garden? its a great place to sex in public.... especially at night when there's a wedding reception/ceremony going on (there are tons of hiding places that have nice flat grass).

coldarchon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I started very young, because I thought when I'm 80 they'll be 70 and I can sell them for 100 bucks. yes, I was young ..

but 4 years later my neighbour ruined it all when I was on holiday when she ignored my rules how to water them. half of them died and the other half grew twice their seize in 2 weeks ..

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just returned from a 10 day vacation. I was so paranoid about my trees that I left my house-sitter a watering schedule based on the long range forecast and each day I asked for an email watering update.

The Brooklyn collection is very nice.

26bonsai.jpg

lefty

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This is a hobby that would prey perfectly upon my OCD. It's such a remarkable art, though.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My plumber is some sort of bonsai master. Cool guy.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
I just returned from a 10 day vacation. I was so paranoid about my trees that I left my house-sitter a watering schedule based on the long range forecast and each day I asked for an email watering update.

The Brooklyn collection is very nice.

26bonsai.jpg

lefty

another impressive, but small collection i saw was at the botanical gardens in minnesota.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Moar pics please. This thread is awesome.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
I used to raise bonsai, though not at anything resembling a master artisan's level. They are very fussy plants. Because of the absurd pot size to root ball ratio, they need to be watered every single day without fail. I had two die while on vacation because the person housesitting for me forgot to water them one day.

+1.

I had two Japanese juniper bonsai trees, in separate pots, that I left in the care of my neighbour while we went to visit the in-laws in Japan for a month.

When we came back, they were virtually dead and although I tried to nurse them back to health, they never recovered.

It's a hobby that can be incredibly rewarding over time, but it requires a lot of patience and a lot of practice to get it right. If you are the sort of person who wants to get the ideal result quicky, bonsai is clearly not the hobby for you...

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't
auto-aquapod-10-automatic-watering-system-2823-hk-16152-p.jpg
be more reliable than any neighbor/relative?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads