• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JD_May
Rotating dress shoes is a must. I have a central rotation of (now) 3 pairs and a few outliers that get tossed in from time to time. That is a small shoe rotation and the minimum I'd say. Suits, you probably need 4-5 but I'd say 3 is a minimum.

For suits, if you have to wear it every day, 5 days a week, I say minimum is 4-5 at least depending whether Fridays are more casual. Maybe a casual cotton suit for Fridays?

For dress shoes, 3 is a good number for rotation. Maybe add a fourth one, something like bucks for casual Fridays?

I need new shirts, most of mine are really blousy since I lost weight.

Or you can bring it to the tailor and have it taken in the sides, that usually runs around $15 a shirt. If some shirts are slim enough and just need darts in the back, that's even cheaper at $7 a shirt.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
My office is just shy of requiring a suit on the daily, ie you can get away with dress pants and a shirt. I have 4 good suits, one which is kept at the office, which is enough but essentially my weeks repeat themselves if they're packed with suit-mandatory work.

To be honest, I think it would be a pretty major job and it's REALLY hard to convince a tailor to take them in as far as I would need. I mean I could try with one and see what happens but I don't think it's gonna be a go.

Originally Posted by bows1
+1. I need new pants, shirts, and belts. How much did you lose? Im down 40 now.
If I disclosed that, it would give an exaggerated impression. I lost a lot, but it was actually okay carrying my previous weight. I looked chubby but not obese. So if I tell people how much weight I lost they assume I'm like Jared from Subway or something (ok not that extreme but you get the idea). I was really surprised how much fat was actually on me.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
To be honest, I think it would be a pretty major job and it's REALLY hard to convince a tailor to take them in as far as I would need. I mean I could try with one and see what happens but I don't think it's gonna be a go.

If I disclosed that, it would give an exaggerated impression. I lost a lot, but it was actually okay carrying my previous weight. I looked chubby but not obese. So if I tell people how much weight I lost they assume I'm like Jared from Subway or something (ok not that extreme but you get the idea). I was really surprised how much fat was actually on me.

Yeah, the tailor idea was assuming you lost like 20 lbs and shoulder and chest still fit well and just need to take it in the gut. By your second statement though, it looks like you lost a lot more and a wardrobe rehaul might be the only solution. At least it gives you an excuse to buy more stuff.
lol8[1].gif

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by barims
This is true I've since decided that my YSL Rive Gauche trousers should be given to any custom tailors I may frequent in future for use as patterns; they're the best kind of baggy. I wish I had more of them
Are they Slimane-era?
bounce2.gif
Originally Posted by RFX45
Plus you can't really wear a suit 5 days in a row and expect it to last though, even if it is made by Jil Sander. same with dress shoes, it really isn't ideal to wear it 5 days in a row. You have to have some variety and alternatives to rotate your clothes around.
You can if it's polyester
teacha.gif

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Being in a business casual environment myself, seldomly requiring suits and ties except for days with client meetings or night meetings/events, and where the average dress is oversized pleated khakis and ill fitting shirts, I'd like to think that it is possible to keep things fresh by simply not being dressed like the masses around me. The difference for me is that although my wardrobe isn't anything extraordinary by any stretch of the imagination as noticeable by my non-baller average joe WAYWT posts, I like to focus on what I feel are quality items that maybe stand out a bit by the texture, material, small detailing in say the colors, etc., but mainly overall fit.

I'm happy with the fact that I'm not walking around with identifiable logos all over me, squared toe dress shoes made of cheap materials, pants that are not tailored to fit properly in length and fall properly over my shoes, and that I am not afraid to experiment with different fits and colors. I don't know how many times I've been called Miami for wearing white pants with grey canvas oxfords, or how many times I've been asked "are those yellow shoes you're wearing?" referring to my quoddy x SWs, etc. Most of that is in gest I know, but it is amazing how just for wearing say the red OCBD in my last WAYWT in my environment catches so much attention just because, well the guys around me fear wearing pink or red.

I'm conservative by nature and in a way as a bi-product of my work environment, so the way I look it at, even though I wear items that are typical for my work environment (khaki pants, OCBDs, dress shoes/loafers), I try to find the pieces that fit me well with materials I like, and that have a tendancy to be well made and have some visual interest, in order to keep it interesting. I think I've rambled on enough. I like the current topic though.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
On the office wear thing here's what I wore today aside from when I was running to court. I think I have an actual camera pic (this is on my bby) of this but I haven't pulled it off so the kinda crappy one here will have to suffice.

img00048201007280805.jpg

Linen jacket, OCBD, navy pants with a 2" cuff and AE hampstead spectators, plus my briefcase.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My issue is that my work experience this year has been split between two paid internships at newspapers owned by the same company. There's no real permanency with it, so I have a hard time sinking too much into my work wardrobe, especially since I'm still building my casual one.

But because I'll likely be with this newspaper through the end of 2010, I've been dedicating some more funds to the clothes I wear to work. Before I started this second internship, I picked up a couple pairs of Epaulet trousers and a slightly used pair of AE's. I need to add at least one more pair of shoes, since I know what these ones are going to look like if I keep wearing them five days a week, tree shoes be damned. I'm still lacking in shirting, though I'm content with middle-of-the-road OCBD's that may need some trimming from the tailor.

That's another reason some of my recent purchases and upcoming buys are intended for casual wear, but could pretty seamlessly be integrated into the workplace.

jaac

Reaction score
looks good. pretty much perfect biscaz imo.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
On the office wear thing here's what I wore today aside from when I was running to court. I think I have an actual camera pic (this is on my bby) of this but I haven't pulled it off so the kinda crappy one here will have to suffice.

img00048201007280805.jpg

Linen jacket, OCBD, navy pants with a 2" cuff and AE hampstead spectators, plus my briefcase.

Looks good. I gotta admit, you've transitioned well to your new aesthetic after a rocky start.

scott.m

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I might have a problem...

IMG_1699.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads