• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Consulting vs IB vs Big 4 - which one opens more doors for careers?

oman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Oman the Future Executive.

i like the sound of this
smile.gif

v.freeman

Reaction score
Banking has best exit opportunities, in my opinion. Can go to corporate dev or or almost any other aspect of financial services. Obviously if you're at MBB you're not going to worry about placement, but I think the average banking analyst has more opportunities than the average consultant.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
the career questions posted on SF are some of the most wankerish the human mind can conceive of.

I hate to agree with you but this is mostly true..

Oh and the answer to this thread is "it depends"

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by merkur
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Welcome to three years ago...
confused.gif

SirSuturesALot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's one from last year that hasn't been circulated ad nauseum: Wall Street Fighter 4.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Can we create a "career and seduction advice" subforum so the morons can congregate among themselves?

It's called styleforum

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is what's wrong with America. People can become consultants in fields in which they have not shown previous success. Consulting should not be an option for anyone with fewer than 10 years in their field.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gladhands
This is what's wrong with America. People can become consultants in fields in which they have not shown previous success. Consulting should not be an option for anyone with fewer than 10 years in their field.

Orly? So you expect 35 year olds with 10 years of field experience to be doing Excel bitchwork? Yes, fabulous business model.

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Orly? So you expect 35 year olds with 10 years of field experience to be doing Excel bitchwork? Yes, fabulous business model.

I understand what you're saying, but I wouldn't want to pay consulting fees to someone straight out of B-School, or even worse, undergrad.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I understand what you're saying, but I wouldn't want to pay consulting fees to someone straight out of B-School, or even worse, undergrad.
Thankfully you are not one of the 95% of Fortune 500 companies that use management consultants and continue to do so despite the age of their project teams. Edit: I don't think you realize that consultants, especially younger ones, are used as mercenaries. You COULD as a company hire a smart Ivy grad to work for you for 10 weeks on a project...oh wait, no you couldn't because in-demand young workers actually want full-time jobs. So you see, it is a way of filling temporary labor needs without dealing with hiring and firing. The senior consultants are similar, but also brought in for obvious industry expertise.

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I get why large consulting firms use consultants, and I get why consulting firms hire kids (they're cheap), but the problem lies in the fact that corporations are paying for expertise, that they may or may not be getting.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I get why large consulting firms use consultants, and I get why consulting firms hire kids (they're cheap), but the problem lies in the fact that corporations are paying for expertise, that they may or may not be getting.

Wrong. Like I said, corporations are paying for:

a) expertise
b) the manpower to execute on that expertise

If a company just wants brief advisory they hire the appropriate project team. If they need to get **** done, and need good people to do it, they will hire a larger project team with both senior and junior people.

Trust me man, the free market has figured out what the right price for this service is. It's not like America's corporations have been swindled for the last 50 years through a ponzi scheme called consulting.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^^^ word

It's not really about specific "expertise" most of the time

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads