• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First time to NYC

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by monkeypunch
I'll be the third to recommend Ippudo, but add that in addition to being the best ramen place in NYC they also have the best steamed pork buns and some of the best wings in the city. I wouldn't leave without ordering all three.

The steamed pork bun at Ippudo are pretty good, but I have to admit that Momofuku has them beat on that point. The ramen at Ippudo is hands down the champion in NYC though. The ramen they serve at Momofuku doesn't come close; I almost prefer the packaged stuff.

Originally Posted by Another New Yorker
Downtown I am not as experienced but I favor Jay's on 16th and 7th avenue as well as one on chambers and church who's name I can't remember for the life of me. It's on the corner right above the ACE so you can't miss it.

Dona Bella pizza?

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Do you know the cake things that are sold from the stand on Canal a little bit off of Mott? For one dollar? They're almost like honeycombs. Yummerz

I do not know. A real life AZN showed me the soybean custard thing, else I never would have guessed to approach that window on my own.

I will keep an eye out for the cake thing.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
I do not know. A real life AZN showed me the soybean custard thing, else I never would have guessed to approach that window on my own.

I will keep an eye out for the cake thing.

i think this might be the mosco st. cake lady?

gilwood

Reaction score
Go to the view on 47 & 7th ave for a drink. On top of the Marriot Marquis. They have a cover after 9pm. Afterwards go to 230 fifth on 5th ave and 27th st for another drink.

Make sure to wear a pink polo with collars popped and keep your fist pumping!

I got flamed for posting that in the past, which is hilarious:

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...highlight=view

King Leer

Reaction score
I'd also suggest a great italian restaurant Dell'Anima (on 8th Ave and Jane St.)

Superb pastas, wine list and specials. The Octopus appetizer is killer.

Also, if you want a New York Institution Pub experience, go to the Ear Inn (Spring St.)

monkeypunch

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian
The steamed pork bun at Ippudo are pretty good, but I have to admit that Momofuku has them beat on that point. The ramen at Ippudo is hands down the champion in NYC though. The ramen they serve at Momofuku doesn't come close; I almost prefer the packaged stuff.

David Chang built his empire on that pork bun so there's got to be something to it
smile.gif
I think Noodle Bar serves a mean pig tail if you're lucky enough to come in on a night that they're serving it. Noodle Bar is definitey low on the ramen ladder, though. The only place I'll patronize for ramen other than Ippudo is Totto Ramen, and that mostly due to proximity :b

WSW

Reaction score
What's a really good place for clams, oysters, raw seafood? Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
for a raw bar, I have a weird affinity for the Ocean Grill on the UWS. Their stuff is delivered fresh daily (according to a friend who worked there), the wine list is quite serviceable, and the prices are good. We used to always go to the bar past 10 PM when the oysters were discounted to $1.25 each (and they always had 6-8 types to choose from). I don't know if they still do this.

monkeypunch

Reaction score
Originally Posted by WSW
What's a really good place for clams, oysters, raw seafood? Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
I'm not much of a raw bar guy, but if you don't mind a little work it's really easy to find fresh fish make ceviche/crudos/sashimi yourself. Citarella, Blue Moon Fish (found at either the Union Square or Grand Army Plaza markets), and Lobster Place in Chelsea Market are all great places to find fresh fish. Chinatown is also a good place if you're willing to shop around and do some haggling. Just look for clear eyes, and if the fish has gills and they're bright red/pink and healthy looking then that's a good sign. Ask for the fish filleted with skin & pin bones removed. Slice thinly (a very sharp knife is helpful, but unless it's a dinner party nobody is grading you), dress with olive oil and citrus and a bit of sea salt and you're done. Once you've got that down you can add finely diced red onion, mango, pickled jalapenos, really anything! It's fun figuring out what fish tastes best with what ingredients, and rarely does it taste bad!

redzapper

Reaction score
Do you know the cake things that are sold from the stand on Canal a little bit off of Mott? For one dollar? They're almost like honeycombs. Yummerz
On Canal, west of Mulberry on the South side of Canal

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vinouspleasure
i think she has been gone for over five years.

indeed, she has. maybe more....

gilwood

Reaction score
I heard the soup nazi is back in business! I think he was at like 56st and 8th ave??

monkeypunch

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gilwood
I heard the soup nazi is back in business! I think he was at like 56st and 8th ave??

55th just a little east of 8th ave, and yep! Not sure if he's open quite yet but I've seen the sign in the window. Looks cleaner in there then it used to, too.

Another New Yorker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian

Dona Bella pizza?

YES!

I attended Stuyvesant so when that place opened it was a godsend. As a bonus, it's 24 hours so my friends and I would often drop by after parties at 3 AM to split a pie. I love their crust.
Before Dona Bella came around i ate at Cafe Amore which was so much worse and a few cents more expensive.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads