• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oxford Dress Shoes Options

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cl smooth
went to nordstroms today, those AE park aves are cool. those bruno maglis they got in there though, DAMN. really nice. 269 is steep for a recently graduated college student though, lol.

Did you end up getting anything?

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wait for Park Aves to show up in your size on eBay. My roommate just got a pair for $60, and they looked like they'd be worn out of the house only a half dozen times.

cl smooth

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xiaogou
Did you end up getting anything?

no. for some reason, the profile of the park aves looked weird in person--almost curved unnaturally. I'm not sure if I'm just being picky or not, but i couldn't put my finger on it. they just seemed, well, off.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
no. for some reason, the profile of the park aves looked weird in person--almost curved unnaturally. I'm not sure if I'm just being picky or not, but i couldn't put my finger on it. they just seemed, well, off.

I agree, they are weird looking. Gaziano & Girling's "Oxford" and Church's "Consul" are the best looking captoes in my opinion.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but at his budget I am not sure that he can afford those. Just a word of advice from an also recently graduated college student--suck it up and buy some nice shoes. Honestly, they make a world of difference, especially in an interview setting. I have been upgrading my shoe wardrobe over the past year, and have focused entirely on quality over quantity, and it has completely paid off.

cl smooth

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Newcomer
Yeah, but at his budget I am not sure that he can afford those. Just a word of advice from an also recently graduated college student--suck it up and buy some nice shoes. Honestly, they make a world of difference, especially in an interview setting. I have been upgrading my shoe wardrobe over the past year, and have focused entirely on quality over quantity, and it has completely paid off.
thanks for the tip. any other advice?

cl smooth

Reaction score
looking on the internet, what do you guys think of these? last week to get them at this price (269) before they go back to 395. http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2934413
Bruno_Magli_Men_Marsico_Cap_Toe_Oxford,5.jpg

kraftar

Reaction score
here's one piece of advice... if you plan on wearing dress shoes everyday then make sure that you have another good pair so you can rotate between them. Wearing the same shoe day-after-day is VERY hard on them and they'll wear-out much quicker than if you rotate.

cl smooth

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
They aren't bad but you could get better. Bruno Magli are not a very well respected brand here.

why not?

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kraftar
here's one piece of advice... if you plan on wearing dress shoes everyday then make sure that you have another good pair so you can rotate between them. Wearing the same shoe day-after-day is VERY hard on them and they'll wear-out much quicker than if you rotate.

+1 and add toe taps.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
why not?

Low price/quality ratio. As far as I can gather they are not top quality yet are sometimes very expensive.

Troilus

Reaction score
CL, saw those BM's at Nordstrom's Rack yesterday in NYC. Much cheaper than the website there.

The AE's Park Avenue's are still on sale for $220 including shipping (and tax if you live in a state with no Nordstrom's). I got a pair of them because I thought they were significantly better than the BM's, despite the $60 price difference.

Troilus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by scurvyfreedman
Which shoes would you want to be wearing in their images when they reminisce over you?
+1. They take care of him when his biological didn't bother.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads