• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1 week after owning my first Mac in a decade

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KenN
Why his statement is well-constructed: He stated his past experience with both machines, and he stated his conclusion drawn from past experiences. He explained his own bias towards the keyboard, and hence his disposition towards PCs.

A pair of unfounded statements is not a well-constructed argument.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Yeah, if you don't need it for numbers stuff then it is definitely more stable.

This is BS. Maybe compared to windows XP, but definitely not compared to 7. I've run it on several machines and never had it crash under normal circumstances. The one thing that brings it down is a serial to usb adapter that i need for connecting to routers that never had proper drivers published for it under the new OSes (need to get a new one but keep forgetting).

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
I thought Boxee boxes weren't available yet... Can you download from torrents directly on a Boxee system?
I think they're out in November but you can easily boot it onto an Xbox and get the same functionality. Yes, they can snag torrents. So can XBMC.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just an FYI, once you get used to using excel on a pc, it's difficult to leave. Everything from the shortcuts to the layout of the keyboard to getting help from others is just different.

I like my mac very much, but I want to punch a hole in it every fricking time I open a spreadsheet on it.

As an aside, I use an old version of excel on both my work pc and home mac and I've heard both have improved greatly and the new version that's going to be released for the mac is supposed to be great.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
This is BS. Maybe compared to windows XP, but definitely not compared to 7. I've run it on several machines and never had it crash under normal circumstances. The one thing that brings it down is a serial to usb adapter that i need for connecting to routers that never had proper drivers published for it under the new OSes (need to get a new one but keep forgetting).

Not disagreeing. I've downgraded all my computers to XP. Haven't logged more than 5 total hours on 7/Vista. It was a painful 5 hours.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I am watching intently for any sign of weakness. Don't be mistaken in thinking I'm not around. I was summoned.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The idea that Macs have retained any sort of advantage for design/desktop publishing is a ridiculous notion that has somehow survived from sometime around 1987.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
Well, there's a work-around/substitute for right-click, which isn't quite the same thing.
It's the mac symbol key + click, if I'm not mistaken.

Originally Posted by milosz
"Macs don't have right-click" jokes are right there with "soccer players like to dive." Even Seinfeld thinks you're dated.

I've been using Logitech trackballs (which not only have right buttons but scroll wheels!) since the G4 Quicksilver tower I bought in 2001.

So you use a non-mac mouse? Example fail.

Originally Posted by Piobaire
Do people lose their sense of humour after purchasing a Mac?
Seems like it. They also need to start threads to defend their purchases; it's very weird.
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Not disagreeing. I've downgraded all my computers to XP. Haven't logged more than 5 total hours on 7/Vista. It was a painful 5 hours.
Windows 7 has nothing in common with Vista. The latter was a nightmare. The former has been a godsend.
Originally Posted by unjung
The idea that Macs have retained any sort of advantage for design/desktop publishing is a ridiculous notion that has somehow survived from sometime around 1987.
True, now the myth persists because artsy, hipster types who work in graphic design favour a computer that nourishes their anti-establishment fantasies and whose marketing department tells them how creative they are.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah yes, the magic mouse that came out a whole 8 months ago.

Plus it doesn't work with non-leopard versions of Mac OS (which in turn can't be installed on macs without Intel chipsets), so older mac owners are screwed. Hooray compatibility. Hooray plug and play. So much better than a PC: everything works if you upgrade your entire system every 2 years.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness

I just happen to post the first thing that came to my mind that would be an easily explanation. Mac has had right click for quite a while now. Wether people know it or not, does not change the facts.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can this right-click?

MacMouse_by_Ja2ger.png

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Can this right-click?

MacMouse_by_Ja2ger.png

There are some macs at my new job. I used one of those things yesteraday. It's horrible.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Plus it doesn't work with non-leopard versions of OSX (which in turn can't be installed on macs without Intel chipsets), so older mac owners are screwed. Hooray compatibility. Hooray plug and play. So much better than a PC: everything works if you upgrade your entire system every 2 years.

well theres the mighty mouse which came out 2005. it has a right click. you just press down on the right side while clicking.

i've been using mine (blue tooth version) since 2007. bought it for $15 off ebay.

you can actually program it to however you want it to work. i just use the normal left and right clicks.

500px-Programming-a-Mighty-Mouse.png

the laptop version trackpad version of right click (two fingers then click) is actually something that is so simple it should be adopted as an option by all laptops.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads