• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official Golf Thread

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Mark, the Ben Hogan book is fantastic. Couple that with some youtube video of Hogan and I really am getting the arms, shoulders, hips backswing with the hip, shoulder, arm swing. It's amazing how much faster my club head speed suddenly seems to be.

Range for a big bucket Saturday. Gotta work on these changes. When the swing flows, you just end up in "the pose" at the end. It's amazing.

Great. Glad you like it. The concept in there of the backswing starting with everything turning back in one piece is really enlightening, and very helpful, IMO.

Don't screw yourself up, but you ought to try out his drill of learning to hit (on the range) with a headcover under each arm. It took me a while, but once I mastered that I got to where I could hit some pretty good shots with headcovers under my arms and it really worked wonders for helping me keep the entire swing in once piece.

That said, when I started working with the Hank Haney Golf Center here in Texas, they didn't necessarily recommend that drill with their approach because they teach a more extended swing designed to get a bigger arc and more power. However, for a beginner, I really like the drill because of how it teaches you a compact, repeatable swing.

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess I was just swinging like a pansy lately. Both of my wedges were spot on 56 and 60. I wonder how my friend's wedge got bent back to 56. I swing a lot harder than he does. He might have gotten it used and someone had bent it back to a 56.

I'm looking into getting a 52. Are clevelands still pretty much top dog? What is everybody else hitting wedge-wise?

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stylish Pilot
I'm getting my wedges checked today. I've noticed the past few rounds I've played that i've lost a few yards on my sand and lob wedge. I know yuo're supposed to get your loft checked every year or so, and its been several years. So i'm thinking they might be bent a few degreess. My friend got his 56 checked a few months ago and it was bent to a 58.

Originally Posted by Thomas
I had no idea this happened. Seriously.

I apologize, just talked to him. His 54 was bent to 56. I have a decent gap between my PW and 56. I should look into buying a 52 and scrapping my 56. although a choked down, punched PW is a pretty fun shot.

I guess I was just swinging like a pansy lately. Both of my wedges were spot on 56 and 60. I wonder how my friend's wedge got bent back to 56. I swing a lot harder than he does. He might have gotten it used and someone had bent it back to a 56.

I'm looking into getting a 52. Are clevelands still pretty much top dog? What is everybody else hitting wedge-wise?

This typically only happens to forged irons. Cast irons won't change their lie or loft, but forged irons will over time. They need to be checked periodically and adjusted as necessary.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
We did 18 today. Improvements are happening. My short iron game, 9 iron in, is doing well. Driver was better but not reliable nor long enough. I need to get some length off the tee box and in the fairway.

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I stand by clevelands. That said, I have berilium nickel clevelands, which are mega awesome, and no longer made. Too bad, because steel and berilium copper don't compare in terms of feel.

Whether or not to get a 52 depends on how big a gap there is between your full SW and a soft PW. For me, full SW is about 105 and I can comfortably hit a PW 110, with full PW being about 135. Therefore, not necessary.

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New goal: Break par this weekend.

Strategy: Try really hard.

All I have to do is hit all the greens in regulation, and make a birdie. Should be easy.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Here is a wedge question: so I understand a certain way to groove them will be ended this year, but you can play them until 2024. As a complete noobie, would it still be worth my while to get this superior grooved wedge set? If so, which set?

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
square grooves. unless your short game resembles mickelson's, i don't think it is necessary. plus, with club technology evolving every day, something newer/better will probably be discovered.

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bdeuce22
square grooves. unless your short game resembles mickelson's, i don't think it is necessary. plus, with club technology evolving every day, something newer/better will probably be discovered.

The PGA/USGA is trading down from something better to something worse. Thus, better things would also be disqualified.

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Here is a wedge question: so I understand a certain way to groove them will be ended this year, but you can play them until 2024. As a complete noobie, would it still be worth my while to get this superior grooved wedge set? If so, which set?

Which type of grooves you have should be considered a complete non-factor until you can break 80.

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by archetypal_yuppie
I stand by clevelands. That said, I have berilium nickel clevelands, which are mega awesome, and no longer made. Too bad, because steel and berilium copper don't compare in terms of feel. Whether or not to get a 52 depends on how big a gap there is between your full SW and a soft PW. For me, full SW is about 105 and I can comfortably hit a PW 110, with full PW being about 135. Therefore, not necessary.
And to not sound like a total lying douche (and for fear of people calling BS and saying i'm flexing my E-peen), I will refrain from posting my PW and SW yardages, but there is about a 30-35 yard gap between full swings with them. Like i said I can lay back on my PW some but the gap is still around 15ish. I would just like something i can comfortable hit about 10yards farther than my current SW.
New goal: Break par this weekend. Strategy: Try really hard. All I have to do is hit all the greens in regulation, and make a birdie. Should be easy.
Good luck. If everything goes to plan I'm playing a pretty nice course tomorrow for free. First time i've touched a club in 1 1/2 months. Aiming for high 70's but will probably end up being low 80's

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Which type of grooves you have should be considered a complete non-factor until you can break 80.

Ah, well I will forever be safe from needing the fancy grooves then.

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alright, looks like one of my friends/ coworkers is giving me a free Cleveland 53 that he won at a tournament. Never used it. Works for me

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I would just like something i can comfortable hit about 10yards farther than my current SW.

Get an AW.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads