• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Topcoats 2010

GSOAT

Reaction score
Despite being a grown-up (age-wise), I am still assembling a grown man's wardrobe and I am in need of a good topcoat. I am looking for topcoats in the $500-$1000 range, and was hoping to buy one that was durable and- this is important- timeless (in the sense that it isn't "out of style" in 5 years).

I have a few questions:

1. Sizing: If I wear a size 42 suit jacket, do I go for a size 44 topcoat, or are they sized to match the jacket beneath?

2. Does anyone have any buying advice, in terms of places to look for good quality bargains (I have heard that January is a good time to buy for instance)?

3. Does anyone have a specific coat that they can recommend?

Thanks in advance!

Andy

Hans

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GSOAT
1. Sizing: If I wear a size 42 suit jacket, do I go for a size 44 topcoat, or are they sized to match the jacket beneath?
Get a 42; coats are cut to accommodate a suit underneath.
2. Does anyone have any buying advice, in terms of places to look for good quality bargains (I have heard that January is a good time to buy for instance)?
If you can still find one in the summer, that's the best time to buy.
3. Does anyone have a specific coat that they can recommend?
I think the most important question is length. The current fashion is to wear coats short -- at or above the knee --- which I don't like because it makes the coat look like a cocktail dress. But full-length coats (mid-calf or lower) are very hard to find nowadays.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The amount of ease varies by maker. I am a 42 but have gone as far as wearing a 36 to get the best fit. You have to try them on. If you will have one coat get something not so dressy that it looks out of place with casual clothes and not so casual that it cannot be worn with a suit.

GSOAT

Reaction score
Thanks for your responses, Hans and Despos! I am going to continue to plow ahead. I'm leaning toward Brooks Brothers or Burberry...

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Highly recommend checking out the new line of Saks brand coats, available at the Saks men stores. Tried on a few in the Chicago store, VERY nice! Be sure to put on a suit jacket while trying on in the store.

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your responses, Hans and Despos! I am going to continue to plow ahead. I'm leaning toward Brooks Brothers or Burberry...

Brooks good, Burberry evil.

KingOfTheForum

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hans
Get a 42; coats are cut to accommodate a suit underneath.

If you can still find one in the summer, that's the best time to buy.

I think the most important question is length. The current fashion is to wear coats short -- at or above the knee --- which I don't like because it makes the coat look like a cocktail dress. But full-length coats (mid-calf or lower) are very hard to find nowadays.

I agree with all three of your points, but the ending about the difficulty of finding full-length coats seems odd to me. I can easily find full length versions of any topcoat that I search for. I guess it depends on where you search and what size you wear.

KingOfTheForum

Reaction score

I'd also suggest checking out Jos. A Banks. I've found their top coats to be very nice and reliable. It's my opinion that users here over-rate Brooks Brothers (among other brands). They have nice items but most of them aren't even close to being worth the prices that they charge.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amplifiedheat
Brooks good, Burberry evil.

Burberry Prorsum make some of the best overcoats I've seen.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
That herringbone is very nice. Understated and classic.

Living in Houston I have no need for an overcoat but still have my Dad's midnight blue Crombie should I head for northern lattitudes. Three button single breasted cashmere notched lapels. Timeless.

GSOAT

Reaction score
Thanks again, folks. Captoe- that herringbone at J. Press is fantastic, but alas, only available in a size 50R. I snoozed, I lose.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads