• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1 week after owning my first Mac in a decade

KenN

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Don't be upset with me, bro. The simple fact of the matter is, PCs are more efficient when it comes to anything that involves a keyboard. Macs are generally better for things that involve a mouse. Almost everything I do I prefer to use a keyboard and shortcuts for, so PCs work better for me.

BTW I tried a Mac for several months with an open mind, but because of the way I use a computer, it was not a good fit.

Neither is inherently better or worse.

Originally Posted by spencers
Preference is preference bro

You've gotta love how Mac supporters respond to a well constructed and articulate forum comment.

turboman808

Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
No comment on Mac vs. PC. But you bought a desktop? Seriously? In 2010?
I need a workstation in my office and servers so no getting around that. I did get a laptop last week for doing editing at home. I am amazed with the amount of work it does on a little freaking laptop. Oh yeah mac vs pc... I really don't care. Did I get my work done? did I make a profit? Thats what I concern myself with.

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KenN
You've gotta love how Mac supporters respond to a well constructed and articulate forum comment.

Seriously? What is wrong with you people? I can almost understand the lib vs repub hate, because the differences there actually might be important, but saying things like "if you don't like PCs then you're too stupid to comment properly" and vice versa is just incredibly idiotic. People like what they like. Doesn't make them stupid or inarticulate.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i love my macs, but the 27" iMac is kinda like having a 7 series BMW:

big to the point of being too large
very very expensive (but don't care/are very happy once you own it)
should you drive it? wait maybe it would be better if i had a driver? (is it a proper desktop computer or a small flatscreen entertainment center so maybe i should just buy a TV).
new models will come out next year and make you sad.

The only sucky thing is getting used to the huge screen real-estate. Even if you use a 15"-17" laptop after the screen seems small, even more so for the 13" models.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LawrenceMD
i love my macs, but the 27" iMac is kinda like having a 7 series BMW:

big to the point of being too large
very very expensive (but don't care/are very happy once you own it)
should you drive it? wait maybe it would be better if i had a driver? (is it a proper desktop computer or a small flatscreen entertainment center so maybe i should just buy a TV).
new models will come out next year and make you sad.

The only sucky thing is getting used to the huge screen real-estate. Even if you use a 15"-17" laptop after the screen seems small, even more so for the 13" models.

That is true. It was around $2000. I don't think that it's too large at all. Being able to view two documents simultaneously with page and a half length each, in addition to a video window or maybe a browser is a huge asset. I am just so much more productive.

KenN

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
That is true. It was around $2000. I don't think that it's too large at all. Being able to view two documents simultaneously with page and a half length each, in addition to a video window or maybe a browser is a huge asset. I am just so much more productive.

Do Macs have the left/right snapping feature that Windows 7 has? I found this feature to be very useful on large monitors.

Hazad

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField

Dual monitors would have given you even more screen space and done so for much less money.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hazad
Dual monitors would have given you even more screen space and done so for much less money.

yeah except most of the people with dual monitors live with their parents. i joke..

Well I think that looks cluttered. The iMac has an incredible screen... there's only one cable..for power.. it's just a very clean product. To me it's just a lot more pleasant than having two monitors. I've seen that and I just don't like it.

Money wasn't a huge concern for me so I don't really care that I could have saved like $500.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do Macs have the left/right snapping feature that Windows 7 has? I found this feature to be very useful on large monitors.

Yeah you can do something like that with the magic mouse, but I don't find the large size to be a problem at all.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by larsrindsig
Yes they can. Apple mice have had right-click since 2005. I'm not a fan of Apple's mice, though, so I use a Logitech Performance MX which has all programmable buttons you could want.

Well, there's a work-around/substitute for right-click, which isn't quite the same thing.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
You people who shell out for the monitors - why not just buy a flat screen TV? I hooked up a 37" LCD to my desktop and it works great. Bought a kickass desktop for $800, paid $600 for TV, total cost of $1400.

guitarpkr76

Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
Mac mice can't even right-click.
confused.gif

Ha! Not sure why people who don't know anything about Macs try to bag on them. I actually had a guy the other day who thought that macs didn't have flash on them. And this guy has a degree in computer science!

For what it's worth, I use a Windows XP laptop, a Macbook, and a laptop with Ubuntu.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Macs don't have right-click" jokes are right there with "soccer players like to dive." Even Seinfeld thinks you're dated.

I've been using Logitech trackballs (which not only have right buttons but scroll wheels!) since the G4 Quicksilver tower I bought in 2001.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Except Metro isn't offering up a well-constructed comment. Apples have similar keyboard shortcuts (and back in the day, were known for being more shortcut friendly) to Windows PCs.

There's almost no difference in what you can do with a Windows box or Mac these days - it simply comes down to which UI you find most comfortable. I've been using nothing but Macs for a decade now, so I flub the keyboard shortcuts on Windows with regularity.

As a rule, I put up with Apple's bullshit product matrix and form over function philosophy (it only took three generations of unibody Macbook Pros to get 15" matte screens!) because Windows, even with its newfound stability and all, just gets in my way more often than Macs do.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads