• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ultimate noob thread - recommend me X in my wardrobe - post questions here please.

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Epaulet is made for built dudes IIRC.

monkay

Reaction score
been lurking around for a while as i want to develop my own style and get away from t shirt after t shirt.

anyway i have about 6 button down shirts in various patterns and colors and a few pairs of jeans, i'm just not really sure where to go from here. my pair of puma suedes should be here tomorrow, and i already have a pair of white jack purcells. i'm thinking about getting a casual watch soon.

i imagine a number of different colored t shirts would help compliment the button downs, rather than just the plain white undershirt. but other than that, i need some suggestions. i'm 5'8, 160.

flyguy7

Reaction score
^denim is noticeably absent from your list- which is kind of a big deal here. Cruise around and look at the main threads that get alot of attention here. Baller sneakers obviously don't include jack purcells, but that's an ok start to build on. Other street shoes like paul smith or alden get alot of looks here too. Look at the stickied WAYWT threads and see which you like

fiasco

Reaction score
anyone have any recommendations for some nice sleek dress shoes that arent park avenues?

ElementHU

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fiasco
anyone have any recommendations for some nice sleek dress shoes that arent park avenues?

I just picked up some Santoni Oakleys also on sale at Nordstroms.com. http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/3092935?...=searchresults

I bought these at the local Nordstrom, but they seem to still have a decent selection of sizes online. The pictures online really don't do the rust ones justice and they seem to fit true to size and because of the Bologna construction, are very comfy on first wear. At the same sale, I bought some AE Cliftons as well for more casual wear. Love 'em both.

monkay

Reaction score
Originally Posted by flyguy7
^denim is noticeably absent from your list- which is kind of a big deal here. Cruise around and look at the main threads that get alot of attention here. Baller sneakers obviously don't include jack purcells, but that's an ok start to build on. Other street shoes like paul smith or alden get alot of looks here too. Look at the stickied WAYWT threads and see which you like

thanks for the tips. eventually i'll throw in another pair of jeans...most likely a raw pair. i'm not going for the baller look. just a clean, simple yet sophisticated style. (if that makes sense)

The Curly One

Reaction score
Hi guys!

First of all: Cheers to everybody out there, it´s pretty cool to have a great forum dealing with men´s FASHION.

I´m 24 years old, and after my study abroad semester in Sydney (I live in Germany) I decided to throw/give away 80% of my clothes.
Why? Cause they pretty much sucked.
bounce2.gif

And I´m literally heading for a new ME, as I don´t want to walk around in that super-boring German sporty style - I mean, it wasn´t TOO bad.

I used to get my stuff at Jack&Jones, Esprit or H&M, but now I´d like to change my style, to become and LOOK more mature, to look a little bit more sophisticated.

I´m really looking for a shopping-list-guide, but I didn´t find, that´s why I need your help.
I´m gonna buy a LOT of clothes for the next fall, but I´m really looking for some kind of guideline, like: two pairs of golden loafers, 4 oxford shirts in purplish-yellow + three pink rings for your left pinkie or whatever.
laugh.gif

Oh, and cause I´m a poor student, I can´t afford super-high-end clothes (so: no shoes for 500 bucks, mate...), even though I´m willing to spend a significant amount of money to create my very own style.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I bought a nice jeans at H&M (20 euros) and a white oxford shirt (40 euros) at Jack&Jones:

And I bought a pair of loafers by Constantin Starke for a bargain price (65 instead of 170 euros):

What do you think of this wannabe-admiral-style blazer by Zara? Looks kinda "special" to me, so I didn´t buy it (Is it worth the price of 70 euros - or is it crap?)

Thx a lot!!!

aline

Reaction score
I'm looking for some dark, reasonably priced shoes that I can wear in a casual working environment (jeans and polos are acceptable)

thanks

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Curly One
I used to get my stuff at Jack&Jones, Esprit or H&M, but now I´d like to change my style, to become and LOOK more mature, to look a little bit more sophisticated. I´m really looking for a shopping-list-guide, but I didn´t find, that´s why I need your help. I´m gonna buy a LOT of clothes for the next fall, but I´m really looking for some kind of guideline, like: two pairs of golden loafers, 4 oxford shirts in purplish-yellow + three pink rings for your left pinkie or whatever.
laugh.gif

We can't give you a shopping "guide." And $500 isn't enough to come up with a really good wardrobe. My best advice is to browse WAYWT and see what looks you like, and then ask about specific items you can get that are similar but cheaper.
Originally Posted by aline
I'm looking for some dark, reasonably priced shoes that I can wear in a casual working environment (jeans and polos are acceptable) thanks
Clarks DB are the obvious choice

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey, I'm a 20 year old college student. I've been mostly collecting clothing which goes for the "distressed" look, which is why I've been buying lots of stuff from All Saints. Especially since they provide me with fitted clothing.

Everytime I buy a shirt from gap its always too baggy even in the smallest size :/

Anyways, enough rambling.

Even though I enjoy the brand AS I really don't want to be a walking ad for them. So, I'd like to branch out better while being in my budget zone. I would like to know where I can get a nice jacket, which is similar to these

http://www.us.allsaints.com/product/...897&position=1

http://www.us.allsaints.com/product/...39&position=30

Also, where would I find a nice selection of chinos? I know J Crew has a very good selection, but I really want some burgundy ones.

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
forgot to mention I have been eyeing parkas as well.

farraj18

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lane
Also, where would I find a nice selection of chinos? I know J Crew has a very good selection, but I really want some burgundy ones.

Dockers recently came out with a slimmer cut chino. Lands End Canvas is going to/has released a slimmer cut chino as well. Both are <$55. I'm not sure about a burgundy color, but I'd check Dockers first.

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
checking them out now. They don't have any colors im after or already own. Thanks though

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads