• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thoughts on these John Varvatos Bowery Oxford shoes?

jsqfunk

Reaction score
the JV has a little bit to much going on, try the "Calf Skin Ago Oxford" on the same website I bought a pair of JV chukka's a fews years ago, they look ok but the leather soles were terrible and I had to replace w/ rubber vibrams try this one, i think it looks better in brown but here is a link to the black one http://www.zappos.com/timberland-boo...d-black-smooth

crafty35a

Reaction score
Tough crowd! Jsqfunk -- good calls. I do like the Ago Oxford. The Timberland Boot Company oxfords are nice as well -- I like them in "tan smooth" which can be found on the page you linked by clicking the color swatch. They're definitely more comfortably in my price range, too. I may give those a shot. I also found the Varvatos' from my original post but in dark brown rather than black, and Blue Bee for $239 which seems like a good deal, but those who hated the black version will probably not like these any more. http://www.bluebee.com/product_displ...JOM01510&pn=1# How is the quality for Timberland Boot Company? I'm not really a fan of Timberland in general, but the Boot Company seems to have some good items, and I like that they don't seem to have the typical Timberland branding.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have owned several pairs of JV shoes and boots and have been happy with them. The thing to remember is the brand has a wide range of quality differences depending on the shoe you buy. The best are made in Italy, followed by the ones in the USA with finally "imported" which God knows where they were made (typically China). So pay attention to that when buying if you care about that.

The ones you linked to are ok. Not my favorite JV designs, but if you like them then go for it!
smile.gif

Before anyone calls me out on it, I know I am bumping an old thread.

Maccimus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can wear them with jeans, no prob.

Patek14

Reaction score
I'd pass...80% of the shoe thinks it is a dress shoe, 20% thinks its a sneaker and this just makes it kinda ugly looking. If you really like it then w/e but for that price I can't see you justifying the purchase

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good Lord. Looks like something Zara would make.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pebblegrain
At that price buy Paul Smith or NDC

The nice things about JV's are you can typically find them at deep discounts online. I would never pay full price for a JV shoe or boot, but when you find them for under $200 they are a great deal. There are a lot of outlets that sell them too, unlike N.D.C. and PS which can be harder to come by and are not typically discounted as far when you do.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JMRouse
I would never pay full price for a JV shoe or boot, but when you find them for under $200 they are a great deal.

Those shoes wouldn't be a great deal at under $100.

Bull

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads