• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1 week after owning my first Mac in a decade

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the 27" iMac.

I absolutely love it. Everything just seems to work so much better, and once you get used to the interface, it seems much more intuitive. I don't miss windows at all. It just feels like a very well built product. If money isn't an object, which for most people it obviously is, I think Macs work great. I really like this computer a lot and would urge anyone who wants a good desktop to look into it.

I've gone ahead and ordered a 15" Macbook pro for traveling.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No comment on Mac vs. PC.

But you bought a desktop? Seriously? In 2010?

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
A non upgradeable desktop with a monitor that can't be detached for use with your next computer down the line? No thanks.

juniper

Reaction score
Sell the iMac, hook the laptop up to a decent screen, keyboard and mouse, and you're good to go. Maintaining multiple computers is a hassle.

hamish5178

Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
A non upgradeable desktop with a monitor that can't be detached for use with your next computer down the line? No thanks.

Uh. . .

Are you saying by the time you want a new tower you don't also want a new monitor?

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
I bought a top of the line 24" monitor and I'm on my second desktop with it. I don't see what the point is.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
But you bought a desktop? Seriously? In 2010?

The 27" iMac can be used as an external screen, i.e. he can hook up a Bluray player or cable box to it.

Originally Posted by juniper
Sell the iMac, hook the laptop up to a decent screen, keyboard and mouse, and you're good to go. Maintaining multiple computers is a hassle.

You can hook up the MacBook to the iMac and use the iMac's screen.

TylerDurden

Reaction score
I use a Macbook pro...... Only been using laptops for the last 10 years.....

But for those of you who do desktops...

Well, what about the mac mini.....

$700......

Then you can buy a separate monitor and keyboard...

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
No comment on Mac vs. PC. But you bought a desktop? Seriously? In 2010?
Want a large screen to work with video and multiple documents. As you can see I also have a laptop (Macbook pro) coming in two days. Since I do a lot of work at home, why would I want to be working on some tiny little laptop when I can work on a huge screen with very little clutter? I don't enjoy working on Laptops at all. I'm only buying another one so that I have something for when I travel. But I think that if you tend to use the computer in the same location most of the time, you get a better deal going with a good desktop.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Macs are great if you area graphic designer or only use the basics of computers. If you use something like Excel, forget it.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
only use the basics of computers.

That's me. I need a word processor, Final Draft, and the ability to view video files as I'm working. Pretty simple.

M. Bardamu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did you film the unboxing and poast to Youtube?

hamish5178

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Macs are great if you area graphic designer or only use the basics of computers. If you use something like Excel, forget it.

Blanket statement is blanket.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
That's me. I need a word processor, Final Draft, and the ability to view video files as I'm working. Pretty simple.

Yeah, if you don't need it for numbers stuff then it is definitely more stable.

Originally Posted by hamish5178
Blanket statement is blanket.

Not rly. It's true.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads