• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

26 years old, pinstripe suits, what's acceptable?

JCUSN

Reaction score
I've recently become VERY fond of suits. So far I've bought a fantastic looking solid-black herringbone pattern suit, as well as a charcoal gray in the same herringbone pattern. The gray is great for staying somewhat conservative...and the black looks GREAT with a black shirt underneath to wear to parties/clubs.

I just recently found another nice black suit, and it has a very thing maroon pinstripe in it, as well as two VERY VERY faint tan/yellow pinstripes on each side of the maroon pinstripe. I wish I had a pic to show:/

My question, is a black suit with pinstripes like this suitable for someone my age, or for anyone at all!? I'm picturing the suit with a matching maroon **** underneath it. I just don't want to go out and look like a tool. I'm having this suit made to wear for my birthday celebration in Vegas.

svelten

Reaction score
Always felt pinstripes were a little too showy, more appropriate for someone in management level. Also you do already have a black suit which is not the most versatile of colors, maybe consider a navy to diversify the wardrobe?

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're not gonna get any love for that post. Pet hates of StyleForum include:

*Black Suits
*Black shirts with black Suits
*People who post about the above when reading just two or three threads would show them how much they are hated.

If you want to avoid a shitstorm just close the thread and read the forum.

JCUSN

Reaction score
Wow...I didn't know anyone would hate on a black on black suit. I saw Bradley Cooper wearing the black suit with black shirt in the movie The Hangover and I thought it looked absolutely pristine...that's why I bought mine.

Perhaps a navy color would be better, however. I guess I don't need yet another black suit.

Can anyone recommend a good pinstripe color for the Navy suit? I want something flashy, but not something ridiculous. This is for VEGAS
smile.gif

JCUSN

Reaction score
Also, are vests in style with suits? In a party/going-out environment?

tbtommyb

Reaction score
Surely the vest would make you get really warm if you're out partying?

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Brad Pitt always wears a vest with his black suits

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JCUSN
Also, are vests in style with suits? In a party/going-out environment?

They were the best things this season...

Every designer had one or two three button suits in their collections...

Will this 3 button galore survive next year in the fashion world?

It is a very conservative look and I like it ...

J. Cogburn

Reaction score
You will look great in Vegas. You will look like a putz in a professional, white-collar, suit-wearing office anywhere outside the Midwest.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
They were the best things this season...

Every designer had one or two three button suits in their collections...

Will this 3 button galore survive next year in the fashion world?

It is a very conservative look and I like it ...

3 button or 3 piece?

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well first congrats on adapting and becoming mroe fond of a maturer state of fashion. As afr as the suit goies black is usualy a bad choice for a suit but in thsi case with the hint of maroon in it I think it will work. Pinstripes are a great and classic style of suit and there is no age limit on that, perfectly acceptable for a man of your age. The maroon might hinder what will go with it a bit but you will look just smashing in it I suspect.

btinl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JCUSN
I've recently become VERY fond of suits. So far I've bought a fantastic looking solid-black herringbone pattern suit, as well as a charcoal gray in the same herringbone pattern. The gray is great for staying somewhat conservative...and the black looks GREAT with a black shirt underneath to wear to parties/clubs.

I just recently found another nice black suit, and it has a very thing maroon pinstripe in it, as well as two VERY VERY faint tan/yellow pinstripes on each side of the maroon pinstripe. I wish I had a pic to show:/

My question, is a black suit with pinstripes like this suitable for someone my age, or for anyone at all!? I'm picturing the suit with a matching maroon **** underneath it. I just don't want to go out and look like a tool. I'm having this suit made to wear for my birthday celebration in Vegas.

Seems like a good plan.

Chim12

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Blackhood
You're not gonna get any love for that post. Pet hates of StyleForum include:

*Black Suits
*Black shirts with black Suits
*People who post about the above when reading just two or three threads would show them how much they are hated.

If you want to avoid a shitstorm just close the thread and read the forum.

+1. Can't believe it hasn't started yet?

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by J. Cogburn
You will look great in Vegas. You will look like a putz in a professional, white-collar, suit-wearing office anywhere outside the Midwest.

You can't wear a striped suits in American offices? You guys are a bunch of degenerate sheepfuckers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads