• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Desktop PC Building Thread

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually did build that system I priced out. The only thing is, don't get that RAM if you get the same mobo, they don't play well together. I had to exchange mine.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JD_May
Yeah mine is going to end up being fancier than that build, ultimately. Stop worrying about the size of the case. I already said I don't care. It is a non-factor.
I'm not worried, just trying to help. It'll suck if you decide to add three more hard drives and your case doesn't accommodate it.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
No problems there. If I ever use up more than a tb (size of hdd I'm looking at) I'll just get an external. Either way I'm looking at something big enough to hold it all. The coolermaster is mesh and it looks like it'll be good for heat dispersal.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
No problems there. If I ever use up more than a tb (size of hdd I'm looking at) I'll just get an external. Either way I'm looking at something big enough to hold it all. The coolermaster is mesh and it looks like it'll be good for heat dispersal.
Ok, so case aside, what are you planning on doing with this thing?

Christobevii3

Reaction score
Only two or three games benefit much from more than 2 cores at the moment and after 3 or 4 cores there is really no benefit. I'd just go with the 4 core unless the 6 core was the same price or less.

Future proof never exists and never spend more money if it doesn't benefit you now tbh unless its a motherboard that will give you a cpu upgrade path vs not.

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You don't think so? I was thinking for multitasking the 6 core would be an advantage. Also it's futureproof if more games or whatever start making use of 4+ cores.

I got an asus ma479t deluxe mobo.

Let's say the 965 black (3.4 ghz 8mb cache) and the 1050t (turbos at 3.3ghz 9mb cache) are the same price. Which would you go with?

Complete waste to get 6 cores. For day-to-day usage using 6 cores will actually be slower than using 4 cores, unless you have specifically programmed applications that make use of parallelization (I'll give you a hint, you can count the number of those applications on your two hands). Thus, the time to communicate between cores will add overhead to your processing. Stick to the Phenom X4's -- they're amazing processors, especially at their price range. You're also a good man for liking AMD.

So long as your mobo is socket AM3 you'll do fine with upgrades for at least the next year or two, at a bare minimum, if necessary (unlike Intel).

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
Ok, so case aside, what are you planning on doing with this thing?
Everything.

I don't know how to answer this question. I am going to use it as a computer. It will probably end up under a desk in my room hooked up to a gigantic monitor, but I might hook it up to my plasma. Either way space isn't a concern.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
All I've got so far... but the desk is going to get busier as I go along.

img00035201007241252.jpg

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Everything. I don't know how to answer this question. I am going to use it as a computer. It will probably end up under a desk in my room hooked up to a gigantic monitor, but I might hook it up to my plasma. Either way space isn't a concern.
Well then I'd fill the ***** with the best bang for the buck CPU, a ton of ram, an ok gpu (more if you if game), a cheap SSD to run the OS, and 2x jumbo HD's for storage (1 for storage and 1 for backup).

Christobevii3

Reaction score
I'd recommend getting a 5850 since the monitor rez will choke with the 5770 on some more intense games. If you need to, go to Athlon II's and save a smidge on processor and get the better video card. Or if with ram you were planning on 8GB go 4GB now and add the 4GB later, I have yet to notice a difference between 4GB and 8GB myself.

henrikc

Reaction score
I'd reconsider the hard drive. Sure, it's large - but what if it fails?
If this is going to be your main computer, get 2 hard drives, size down if necessary, and use one for a full backup of the other one. No need for raid 1, just get a program that will clone the entire main drive over to the backup drive.

Other than that, looks like a nice setup. Be careful with the fans though, if you're going to keep it in your bedroom and want to be able to have it running at night, downloading torrents and whatnot, be sure to make it as quiet as possible. The noise from the fans will keep you up all night.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads