• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Ultimate "HARDCORE" Shoe Appreciation Thread (Bespoke only)

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DWFII
I was informed some time ago that they have gone to gemming in some models and I am not a fan.

I am relatively sure (hopeful, anyway) that all of G&G bespoke work is hand welted.

All G&G bespoke shoes are fully handmade: individual last, individual patterns, uppers made for that particular last, hand welted, hand stitched. (Just like all the bespoke work from John Lobb, Fosters or Cleverley.}

All G&G ready-to-wear, bench-made or made-to-order shoes, are machine made (with hand finish for certain production steps) and utilize gemming, just like all other English shoes (bespoke excepted) for the last fifty years. JLP, Cleverley and Fosters (or previous Alan McAffee) use also gemming for their RTW ranges.

The difference is in the price: a pair of bespoke shoes (from any of the companies mentioned) costs about three times as much as a RTW or MTO pair. Every customer can decide for himself, whether he wants one or three pairs of shoes for the same amount of money.

It's horses for courses.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bengal-stripe
All G&G bespoke shoes are fully handmade: individual last, individual patterns, uppers made for that particular last, hand welted, hand stitched. (Just like all the bespoke work from John Lobb, Fosters or Cleverley.} All G&G ready-to-wear, bench-made or made-to-order shoes, are machine made (with hand finish for certain production steps) and utilize gemming, just like all other English shoes (bespoke excepted) for the last fifty years. JLP, Cleverley and Fosters (or previous Alan McAffee) use also gemming for their RTW ranges. The difference is in the price: a pair of bespoke shoes (from any of the companies mentioned) costs about three times as much as a RTW or MTO pair. Every customer can decide for himself, whether he wants one or three pairs of shoes for the same amount of money. It's horses for courses.
Thank you for that clarification...pretty much what I thought. That said, while not intending to revive a brouhaha that hits all the tender parts for some folks...there is an objectively demonstrable difference in the quality--the superiority--of handwelted versus gemmed/goodyear techniques. That's my take as a maker.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That said, while not intending to revive a brouhaha......

Of course not! - You wouldn't......
devil.gif

......there is an objectively demonstrable difference in the quality--the superiority--of handwelted versus gemmed/goodyear techniques.

There is also a demonstrable superiority in the price.
laugh.gif

That's my take as a maker.

Only a maker/manufacturer who employs and has experience with both methods can evaluate the two and give his reasons,
why they have made the choices they've made.

So far Messrs. Gaziano, Corthey, Cleverley(Glasgow) have not been forthcoming to give their side of the coin.

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bengal-stripe
Of course not! - You wouldn't......
devil.gif
There is also a demonstrable superiority in the price.
laugh.gif
Only a maker/manufacturer who employs and has experience with both methods can evaluate the two and give his reasons, why they have made the choices they've made. So far Messrs. Gaziano, Corthey, Cleverley(Glasgow) have not been forthcoming to give their side of the coin.

Well, I'm not ever gonna forswear mentioning gemming, nor even placing lower on the hierarchy of quality than GY welted. But I wouldn't have pursued it any further than a mention if cdmoore hadn't asked about it. When I was a young man and doing repair, I saw a lot of problems with gemming. But never in life would I have thought that I would need to document those issues. So I don't have photos from that time. That said,I do have a few photos...taken just in the last couple of months...that document a lot of the same problems I saw thirty years ago...one photo in particular taken of a pair of "famous name" English shoes that have been worn as part of a rotation and on "rose-petal strewn carpets", as who should say. Striking photo, that one. Beyond all that I will say...in passing because I don't want to hijack this thread...that the real question posed by your response (when you burrow down to the real substance and meat of the discussion) is what constitutes "superiority in the price"? Your comments suggest...imply...that a low price is superior. And to be preferred. I disagree but that's one perspective. But once you take that tack you can't escape the logical conclusion--that the lower the price the more superior. Soon we're at Walmart looking for shoes. I might add, also in passing...and to get us back to bespoke shoes and these G&G's...that we have heard from Gaziano and Corthay and Lobb and Delos: The very fact that they offer...indeed insist on...hand-welted in their premier lines, speaks volumes. As much or more than a post on SF. And far more than my...obviously biased...explanations.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That said,I do have a few photos...taken just in the last couple of months...that document a lot of the same problems I saw thirty years ago...one photo in particular taken of a pair of "famous name" English shoes that have been worn as part of a rotation and on "rose-petal strewn carpets", as who should say. Striking photo, that one.

Would love to see those photos.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've decided since I don't want to spend the money on bespoke shoes and I also hate gemming that I am no longer wearing shoes.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
In that case may I recommend this alternative for an affordable, handsewn and bespoke option:

tiresandals.jpg

No gemming here!

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Exactly.

I still wear socks and handmade flip flops made with organic coconut husk, which is naturally anti-microbial. I also wear goggles all the time now too as I was informed that gemmed shoes from wearers nearby would fail unpredictably and explode and the shards of leather and more importantly the synthetic fiberboard could blind me.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imatlas
tiresandals.jpg

No gemming here!

Obviously the 'Darling Clementine' range of footwear:

"And her shoe were number nine,
Herring boxes without topses,
Sandals were for Clementine"

ohm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Discussions of gemming should go in the Official Gemming thread. Let's get this thread back on track.

All from here.

Koji Suzuki (boots included just for DWFII
smile.gif
).
LiTUh.jpg

fzqH0.jpg

kAN3i.jpg

IcjXH.jpg

9dCL4.jpg

CGVJt.jpg

1Qasr.jpg

Edward Green bespoke
YVdJe.jpg

l45Oe.jpg

cLDfl.jpg

Wx6Qc.jpg

d63G9.jpg

DlTx1.jpg

cpW3T.jpg

Mc3vz.jpg

j144S.jpg

NAzQP.jpg

EpkVP.jpg

KLnar.jpg

Lobb
1pMLG.jpg

RjjPc.jpg

XDtye.jpg

2WzaA.jpg

Cleverley
GgjDA.jpg

c1N6z.jpg

c0yqC.jpg

o07iV.jpg

lKqH1.jpg

VE9RK.jpg

G&G
KUUtJ.jpg

IKJtf.jpg

xAhiT.jpg

4lUDE.jpg

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Jesus Christ . . .
bounce2.gif

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by onix
Would love to see those photos.
Well, I can post them...but where?

SouthPhillyMan

Reaction score
damn the stingrays almost made me orgasm. i'll try to remember to post my pics tonight

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads