• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trousers at the Waist

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amplifiedheat
But it's silly to call something that sits at the waist "high waisted." As refers to human anatomy, the word "waist" has only ever meant one thing in the history of the English language. It is the narrowest part of the torso. The only logical classification of trouser rise is this:

*low-rise=below waist
*at waist
*high-waisted=above waist

Trousers more than slightly above or below the waist are about as good as a jacket that buttons more than slightly above or below the waist. If people don't want to wear trousers at the waist, they should stop calling it the waistband.

This is far from helpful and not strictly accurate. The term 'waist' in this context refers to the waist band of the trouser, not where it sits on the human body. Thus 'high waisted' trousers can be above,m at or above the human waist: It is their relationship with other trousers that is being compared.

Just to add to this I normally wear mine pretty low by older standards although I do have two pairs with 'high' waists one at my body waist and one two inches above. I like both but they are too much like costume to be worn regularly.

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I own 2 pairs of high(ish)-waisted slacks. (NOT above my navel, though, as I think that looks ridiculous.) I almost always wear these slacks with suspenders because they quickly fall down to my hip bones when worn with a belt. I like them a lot, not only because they look great but because they feel comfortable and stay where I put them. Both pairs came from Jos. A. Bank, which -- someone correct me if I'm wrong -- sells nearly all their slacks with several options for rise length.

Braces.jpg

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Threadbearer
Both pairs came from Jos. A. Bank, which -- someone correct me if I'm wrong -- sells nearly all their slacks with several options for rise length.

Incorrect. Short rise is available only for even sizes 32-40. Long rise is available only for even sizes 36 and above. Typically confused, they recommend a short rise for people 5'7'' and under. At 5'7'', their regular rise is well short of my waist.

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Incorrect. Short rise is available only for even sizes 32-40. Long rise is available only for even sizes 36 and above. Typically confused, they recommend a short rise for people 5'7'' and under. At 5'7'', their regular rise is well short of my waist.
I stand corrected. Thank you, heat. So you're saying that my JAB slacks, which are 33" at the waist, must therefore be regular rise? That's interesting because they sit quite a bit higher than any of my other slacks (provided that I suspend them with braces, that is).

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
The only thing that looks worse than low rise trousers with suspenders is low rise trousers with a vest.

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I stand corrected. Thank you, heat. So you're saying that my JAB slacks, which are 33" at the waist, must therefore be regular rise? That's interesting because they sit quite a bit higher than any of my other slacks (provided that I suspend them with braces, that is).
They must be. Perhaps JAB has a higher standard rise and/or more room in the seat.
Originally Posted by Manton
The only thing that looks worse than low rise trousers with suspenders is low rise trousers with a vest.
+1.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton

Oh I'll say a crop top with low rise pants can look even worse
laugh.gif

KingOfTheForum

Reaction score
Firstly, I don't use cartoon charcters and drawings as "evidence." Along with that, I've found that much of the most cherished sartorial rhetoric here is based on articles from DECADES ago. I take it all with a grain of salt. With that said, I do wear my pants at my waist. I DON'T wear them at my stomach, which seems to be what the OP is describing. Two to Three inches above the belly-button is in mid-ab territory (or three-quarter keg for the "portly" bunch). Regardless of how you swing it, that doesn't look good on anyone in 2010, though it may be overlooked on the elderly.

Some will justify the high "waist" location by stating "the waist is the most slim part of the torso." Well, if you don't have an extra slab of fat hanging around, then your waist will be much lower. Like many things, the location of the natural waist seems to change as people get fatter.

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KingOfTheForum
Some will justify the high "waist" location by stating "the waist is the most slim part of the torso." Well, if you don't have an extra slab of fat hanging around, then your waist will be much lower. Like many things, the location of the natural waist seems to change as people get fatter.

Quite incorrect. Thin people often have a high waist, too--the waist is defined by underlying anatomy, not overlying fat. If you look at a photo of an emaciated person, the waist is right below the ribcage. On obese people, the waist is where the fat folds when one bends to the side.

Also, what do you have against the Vitruvian Man? It's a sketch of ideal proportions, which is exactly what we're talking about.

card_richelieu

Reaction score
I own 2 pairs of high(ish)-waisted slacks. (NOT above my navel, though, as I think that looks ridiculous.) I almost always wear these slacks with suspenders because they quickly fall down to my hip bones when worn with a belt. I like them a lot, not only because they look great but because they feel comfortable and stay where I put them. Both pairs came from Jos. A. Bank, which -- someone correct me if I'm wrong -- sells nearly all their slacks with several options for rise length.

Braces.jpg

I quite like the look & me thinks you pull it off well.

Scoundrel

Reaction score
I'm setting this matter straight in my new book. Many "experts" give misleading advice on where a pair of pants should sit (i.e. "always on the natural waist"). The truth is, the ideal rise is different for each individual. The whole point of deliberately wearing a certain rise is to achieve the appearance of having a perfectly proportional body.

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Scoundrel
I'm setting this matter straight in my new book.

Do tell.

Scoundrel

Reaction score
I haven't decided on a title yet, but it's more-less written. Basically, it's a contemporary guide for the young professional based on my experiences and knowledge. The "rules" of dress are considered, but also generously interpreted. It needs editing and to be translated into (at least) one other language. I'm happy to share everything I've learned on my own and through participation on AskAndyAboutClothes.com and Styleforum.net. George Frazier and Alan Flusser are nice people to reference. Film Noir Buff has also helped make some things clear to me, especially putting dress in context. As far as the pants issue, this fellow is on the right track:
Originally Posted by Saltricks
I prefer higher rise pants because I have short legs.
If one has short legs and is bothered by appearing short, then high rise pants will do the trick.

Plestor

Reaction score
Quite incorrect. Thin people often have a high waist, too--the waist is defined by underlying anatomy, not overlying fat. If you look at a photo of an emaciated person, the waist is right below the ribcage. On obese people, the waist is where the fat folds when one bends to the side.

Also, what do you have against the Vitruvian Man? It's a sketch of ideal proportions, which is exactly what we're talking about.

This. I have a waist above my belly button (2") and I'm 28-9" there at 6'7". I also wear all my mtm there otr is not going to happen at that height ~14" rise .

Also when wearing jackets don't you lose the lovely symmetry of the waistband and the buttoning point meeting if you don't wear the trousers at the waist?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads