• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dealing with HR when interviewing

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I understand that the typical practice of HR departments these days is to simply never contact job candidates that have been rejected. But this seems like terrible policy to me. A boilerplate rejection e-mail seems like it would take minimal effort and cut off future phone calls and e-mails asking for status updates. Also, it seems downright unprofessional.

Anybody know why they do this?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If someone was positively (or I guess negatively) rejected in a very specific recruiting process for a specific position, they tend to call or email.

If the interviewers or HR want to keep the candidate on ice because they're not 100% sure they'll ding him and need to see if they find "better" candidates in the mean time, then they tend to stay silent and not return calls/emails.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
If someone was positively (or I guess negatively) rejected in a very specific recruiting process for a specific position, they tend to call or email.

If the interviewers or HR want to keep the candidate on ice because they're not 100% sure they'll ding him and need to see if they find "better" candidates in the mean time, then they tend to stay silent and not return calls/emails.

But don't they let such candidates know they're "on hold"?

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
But don't they let such candidates know they're "on hold"?

Usually they don't.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Usually they don't.

Well, that also seems wrong. Oh well. It's a cruel, indifferent world.

imschatz

Reaction score
My understanding .. if they don't request your references, and immediately contact them .. don't hold your breath. Another good reason not to put references on your resume .. good indicator of employer interest when they actually for your references.

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A lawyer is saying this?

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This is how I felt about 10 years ago when I came to NYC and started dating. It took me a few months to understand the passive-aggressive code of communication.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's because they get 300 applications for each opening. It's hours of pointless work.

There is no point in following up. If HR doesn't contact you, they are not interested.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I may have misunderstood the OP. Are we talking about communicating decisions after interviews, etc... or simply after sending a resume and application? I was replying under the impression that we were discussing the former. If the latter, then see holymadness's post - they don't communicate with all applicants that are not selected to come in for interviews.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imschatz
My understanding .. if they don't request your references, and immediately contact them .. don't hold your breath. Another good reason not to put references on your resume .. good indicator of employer interest when they actually for your references.

Interesting. I'll look into making that mod.

This is how I felt about 10 years ago when I came to NYC and started dating. It took me a few months to understand the passive-aggressive code of communication.

It bugs the f*ck out of me--like people who whip out their Blackberrys for non-work socializing in the middle of dinner.

Originally Posted by holymadness
It's because they get 300 applications for each opening. It's hours of pointless work.

There is no point in following up. If HR doesn't contact you, they are not interested.

I'm talking about post-interview, not post-application.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm talking about post-interview, not post-application.

In that case, I have never heard of such a policy or seen one in practice.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
In that case, I have never heard of such a policy or seen one in practice.
Apparently it is quite common in certain industries. I'm unfamiliar with it, too, as law firms are fairly responsive. A rejection always meant a formal letter in the mail--even if you never had an interview.

Milpool

Reaction score
At one place I interviewed with two-ish years ago, the actual hiring manager told me that even though it was company policy to send out at least a form email of rejection to real candidates (not just resumes), they were so overwhelmed that it wasn't happening.

He also mentioned that officially, the policy was that the hiring manager would get ALL resumes that applied directly for a position. . .not the case anymore.

Last article I read said that there are 6 unemployed for every 1 job opening. Any class on the part of companies has been thrown out.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
when I was interviewing for the job I have now, I must have had 6 interviews that simply didn't send me anything.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads