• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask me about Eyewear!

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lafont
Looking for info. on Robb Report "Best of" or "Best of the Best" listings. Some references on web but true listings, if accessible at all, appear to be by fee only and I can't rationale paying. Even our large public libraries here don't seem to carry these issues; they too can't rationalize paying the subscriptions. So - I'm interested in many lists but right now "best" or "best of the best" eyewear. I've seen claims of "on for three years," etc. but want to check out the actual lists. Is eyewear under "fashion" or "accessories?" I think there just was a "Best of" issue but I can't even look at it on the magazine stand in customer-friendly bookstores, which allow heavy browsing, because it's a supplementary issue and Robb encases both issues in plastic which is supposed to be reserved for the buyer.
Is there a "best" listing of eyewear every year or only some years? Or no actual listing and only paragraphs about some writer's favorites? If there's no "best of the best" listing of eyewear every year than no optician has any business claiming a company or designer is listed "three years in a row."
lookaround.gif

I don't know of a "best of the best" list and I don't think it would be that accurate. I think what you are looking for is Silmo D'or. It is the most prestigious award for eyewear design and innovation. I think a "best of the best" would be highly subjective whereas the Silmo D'or has certain aspects/characteristics that it must reach and it is judged by a board of persons who specialize in the field as opposed to a magazine editor.

I just bought the new Robb Report as well so I will check to see if it is in there.

hunisher

Reaction score
Do you know what style these are called or where I can find them?

12e13ed8f0e36dd3034cb04aee09c214_large.jpg

If not, I'm looking for a site that has trendy plastic eyeglass frames... any suggestions?

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hunisher

If not, I'm looking for a site that has trendy plastic eyeglass frames... any suggestions?

I don't know what brand those are but there are tons of vintage plastic aviators. You can get $10 frames as well as $300 pairs and everything in between.

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These are not aviators by any stretch of the imagination. They are just large, as aviators tend to be - at least the classic ones.

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks but right now I'm interested in the Robb Report's listings, as referred to here on Blink's website:

LUNOR

Since 1991, master optician Gernot Lindner's creations bring to life his lifelong fascination with vintage optical components. Crafted in the manner of fine jewelry, LUNOR is the quintessential luxury item. The designs are inspired by antique eyewear styles of the 18th century. Clear designs and colored lenses give this collection a totally modern look. LUNOR is quickly becoming a rising star in its own right. Celebrities are drawn to this collection for its exclusivity and beautiful styling incorporating palladium, platinum and gold in many of the creations. Receiving the honor of being the "BEST OF THE BEST" by the ROBB REPORT's annual survey for eyewear belonged to Lunor for 3 consecutive years.

Also on Lunor's website:

The sources of inspiration

The aesthetic design of LUNOR eyeglasses is based upon a collection of optical antiques from the years 1650 to 1950. The collection includes glasses and cases, princenez, binoculars and microscopes, which belong to one of the foremost collectors of optical antiques in Europe, Gernot Lindner, founder of LUNOR Enterprises.
Simply perfect, the language of the shapes of historic eyeglasses is clear and well balanced. The LUNOR collections show this in a modernized way, with glasses made of materials that have proven their worth for centuries, handmade and following an old tradition with more than 200 working steps.

American eyeglasses from about 1840 inspired the designer Gernot Lindner to develop the characteristic, telescope like temples. Handmade cases made of local woods recall the precious cases from the past. The brand LUNOR preserves perfection and optimizes the extraordinary.
America's leading lifestyle magazine, "The Robb Report" has named LUNOR the winner of the category "Best Eyewear", giving it the highest scores regarding design, quality and service.

I'm interested from the Robb Report pespective, not that of opticians, etc. However, how might one most easily obtain listings of the Silmo d'or prizes over the years - e.g. if one is not in the field?

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hunisher

Those are cute indie girl glasses.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These are not aviators by any stretch of the imagination. They are just large, as aviators tend to be - at least the classic ones.

Generally, "aviators" are classified as double bridge and larger oval. Of course the originals are more tear dropped shaped but most people classify it as an aviator now a days.

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually I looked quickly and didn't see it is a double bridge.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually I looked quickly and didn't see it is a double bridge.
Yea, her hair is covering the bridge. Usually when the lens shape is like that at the top of the rim it will be a double bridge. There aren't many frames that are cut like that at the top of the rim and have a single bridge. Just my observation....

downwithianbrown

Reaction score
Hi CityConnection. I have a rather large head. Right now I'm wearing the Oliver Peoples Daddy B. it's a pretty classic style sunglasses. Not a wayfarer but classic IMO. The thing is i think they fit perfect. sizing is as follows
* EYE: 58 mm (Largest Width of the Lens)
* D.B.L: 19 mm (Width of Bridge)
* TEMPLE: 145 mm (Length of the Arm Piece)
Can you suggest any models or brands of sunglasses that might make something more unique (rounded lens etc) for my size. maybe something with rounded lenses?

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
She's cute but I don't really like the frame for her. First of all, aviators of any variation are about the most masculine of frames; I simply don't like them for females. If a shop has a "men's" section it typically has aviators - if not in abundance at least present. Second, aviators in plastic kind of spoil that Modern, metallic-type image, and I think aviators a symbolizing the '60s and '70s. I know some girls/women wear them, and they wear all other masculine clothes, too, but don't necessarily care for it. Sort of like Converse hightops for girls....
teacha.gif

Zona330

Reaction score
Does anyone know the model #/name of these Cartier frames?

IMG_2940.jpg

And what do you guys think of the Oliver Peoples Coban?

COBANCHARCOAL1.jpg

daruma

Reaction score
can someone please suggest a frame that's like the ray ban 5144 but another brand of better quality? here is the rayban 5144 for reference
rayban_RX5144_2000.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads