• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

subdivide

Reaction score
May I offer a dissenting opinion? I made a visit to the Melrose RRL today, and... the prices are ridiculous. Plaid cotton western shirts at $185 to $250. Chambray buttondown $250... chambray workshirt about that price. Red denim jeans are $350.

I like the materials, I like the "curated" vintage items that make the store an interesting visit. I think the "experience" of the store is fun. But the prices are over the top, especially for items that are done better by japanese and other designers. I see RRL playing catchup on many pieces, whether they are riffing on vintage western and workwear, or rushing out versions of pieces originally done by smaller companies.

Anyway, I don't think RRL stuff warrants the high prices of their retail or ebay.

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by subdivide
May I offer a dissenting opinion?
You may.

Of course, you are likely to be shouted down on a thread devoted to RRL love.

Lynx_the_one

Reaction score
May I offer a dissenting opinion? I made a visit to the Melrose RRL today, and... the prices are ridiculous. Plaid cotton western shirts at $185 to $250. Chambray buttondown $250... chambray workshirt about that price. Red denim jeans are $350.

I like the materials, I like the "curated" vintage items that make the store an interesting visit. I think the "experience" of the store is fun. But the prices are over the top, especially for items that are done better by japanese and other designers. I see RRL playing catchup on many pieces, whether they are riffing on vintage western and workwear, or rushing out versions of pieces originally done by smaller companies.

Anyway, I don't think RRL stuff warrants the high prices of their retail or ebay.

The raw jeans at 220 are a great value, and a lot of the washes RRL does are really, really nice. I also love the slim boot cut. I think everything other then the made in the USA jeans/cords are rather overpriced.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Given that you guys are likely talking about the massive influx of jeans that hit the Polo outlets in the last 2 weeks, the main difference between the mens and womens jeans in that batch is that the mens jeans have 5 buttons on the fly, and the womens have 4 buttons.

This info was kindly told me by another member, and i examined a bunch of these jeans and it looks like he was right. But ymmv

King Leer

Reaction score
...BUT you must also take into account that even some smaller Men's sizes don't have 5 buttons because the waist is small, like a 28 or something. Even APC's are like that and other brands

IRONHORSE

Reaction score
To each is own, some folks here sells women jeans for men and vise versa.

airportlobby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oceansaway
What's up with the outrageous prices being charged for RRL items by the eBay seller, Blue Present? I guess it's none of my business, and I don't begrudge someone making a profit, but it seems downright greedy to charge more -- in many cases a lot more -- than the original retail price.

I bet that dude smells like drakkar noir.

palma

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am thinking about proxying some RRL sweatshirts from Japan. I was wondering what their quality is like (I am guessing they are not loopwheeled?) and the fit. Also, am I better off going with alternate brands like BR or Left Fielf (although the prices are kind of ridiculous). Will also take any other suggestions.

Thanks,

dougie

Reaction score
May I offer a dissenting opinion? I made a visit to the Melrose RRL today, and... the prices are ridiculous. Plaid cotton western shirts at $185 to $250. Chambray buttondown $250... chambray workshirt about that price. Red denim jeans are $350. I like the materials, I like the "curated" vintage items that make the store an interesting visit. I think the "experience" of the store is fun. But the prices are over the top, especially for items that are done better by japanese and other designers. I see RRL playing catchup on many pieces, whether they are riffing on vintage western and workwear, or rushing out versions of pieces originally done by smaller companies. Anyway, I don't think RRL stuff warrants the high prices of their retail or ebay.
You're absolutely right. RRL is at its core a rich man's J Crew. The stuff is overpriced and a lot of it isn't even made in America. But...it's really nice stuff. And I don't mind paying for it. See that site that's linked above: they're selling an idea that I like to buy sometimes. Not all the time, and not for everything, but their goods are generally well made and well marketed and really that's what people respond to. Plus their oxfords are perfect and worth the premium, but maybe that's just me.

theRRshop

Reaction score
Originally Posted by airportlobby
I bet that dude smells like drakkar noir.
Originally Posted by oceansaway :
What's up with the outrageous prices being charged for RRL items by the eBay seller, Blue Present? I guess it's none of my business, and I don't begrudge someone making a profit, but it seems downright greedy to charge more -- in many cases a lot more -- than the original retail price.

They are really soaking in the ones that eventually buy, they don't sell too much at their prices, but when they do, it makes up for the month. I would never charge such prices as they do, and I would never buy from them even as the collector I am.

King Leer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by eglbc
as a rrl supplier i assume you did.
laugh.gif

Good one

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads