• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ultimate noob thread - recommend me X in my wardrobe - post questions here please.

krazedout

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm a total style noobie here so would really appreciate your advice. I recently got this casual leather belt as it was going for cheap:

I'd usually wear this with tee, jeans and sneakers, but I'm wondering if it is possible to make the belt work with more kinds of apparel? It seems too casual to me to go with anything else apart from tee and sneakers. The other kinds of apparel I'm thinking of are stuff like linen shirts, rinsed dark jeans and perhaps desert boots, or maybe something dressy/smart casual if that is even possible.

Would be glad to receive your input on this!

Thanks,
krazed.

Green_Pinguin

Reaction score
Hi @ all,

I`ve started building up a new wardrobe, after I `ve noted that I doesn`t like the most of my old clothes anymore. Fashion wasn`t a theme for me, before
blush.gif
but now it really is. I have decided to go with a smart not too overextended skate/streetwear style mixed with a few more dressier pieces. So I`ve buyed 2 raw Nudie`s and one raw Acne Jeans, a couple of Zip Hoodies with and T-shirts/Polos with nice patterns. I always got really much positive reactions on my new clothes, so I will go on.
laugh.gif

But now it`s summer and I don`t find anymore t-shirts or polos, with paterns or graphics, that were looking good to my eyes. I ve searched up many stores and of course threadless.com, but nothing really catched my eyes there. Also could you suggest me, some online stores, where I could find something, that I might like?

Thanks for your help! And sorry for my bad English!

Greetz

farraj18

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Green_Pinguin
Hi @ all,

I`ve started building up a new wardrobe, after I `ve noted that I doesn`t like the most of my old clothes anymore. Fashion wasn`t a theme for me, before
blush.gif
but now it really is. I have decided to go with a smart not too overextended skate/streetwear style mixed with a few more dressier pieces. So I`ve buyed 2 raw Nudie`s and one raw Acne Jeans, a couple of Zip Hoodies with and T-shirts/Polos with nice patterns. I always got really much positive reactions on my new clothes, so I will go on.
laugh.gif

But now it`s summer and I don`t find anymore t-shirts or polos, with paterns or graphics, that were looking good to my eyes. I ve searched up many stores and of course threadless.com, but nothing really catched my eyes there. Also could you suggest me, some online stores, where I could find something, that I might like?

Thanks for your help! And sorry for my bad English!

Greetz

Hypebeast might be a good place to look for ideas for clothing. Much of what they post there deals with the aesthetic that you're trying to achieve.

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all: question.

I'm looking for an alternative to the J Crew Bowery Messenger bag. Canvas, same or similar price range (sub 100 dollars). Similar stylings. Anyone have any tips?

amd123

Reaction score
Originally Posted by farraj18
Hypebeast might be a good place to look for ideas for clothing. Much of what they post there deals with the aesthetic that you're trying to achieve.

Hypebeast - trying to achieve aesthetical value
ffffuuuu.gif

So what are styleforum.net users trying to achieve?

vertig0

Reaction score
I could use some recommendations on labels that flatter those of us with athletic builds (still fitted, well-tailored, focused, not "ballony"). Furthermore, some recommendations on labels to stay away from could also be helpful. I would go to a store and actually try on multiple labels, but given my location I have to do all my shopping via the internet.

Just for reference, when I say athletic, I do not mean big like a bodybuilder. I'm 5'10 174#, but am an industrial athlete. Probably comparable to something like a college wrestler.

Thank you in advance.

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

yuna12

Reaction score
Greetings:

Thank you for reading my post.

I am a total noob when it comes to fashion, I know more about Mars than i do about shoes. But recently I landed an internship from a prestigious firm, naturally, i want to look as professional as i possibly could, but i don't have a good pair of dress shoes that goes along with my suit.

I am looking for something between 300-400 dollars, black, business formal and comfortable, brand doesn't mean a lot to me but i have to be able to buy it online and get it shipped to me (i live california) within the next 8 days, would you please help me? (btw, i am a male, i wear size 10.5 or 11)

Thank you.
Wade

max_r

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yuna12
Greetings:

Thank you for reading my post.

I am a total noob when it comes to fashion, I know more about Mars than i do about shoes. But recently I landed an internship from a prestigious firm, naturally, i want to look as professional as i possibly could, but i don't have a good pair of dress shoes that goes along with my suit.

I am looking for something between 300-400 dollars, black, business formal and comfortable, brand doesn't mean a lot to me but i have to be able to buy it online and get it shipped to me (i live california) within the next 8 days, would you please help me? (btw, i am a male, i wear size 10.5 or 11)

Thank you.
Wade

might be better off asking on the MC side of the forum, but i have a feeling they'd recommend Allen Edmonds Park Avenues.

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Which, conveniently, are on sale at nordstroms right now.

yuna12

Reaction score
thanks a lot for the quick replies, park avenue it is. One more question, my barefoot measurements are 10.6 x 4.33 in, i usually wear a size 10 (from ugg, nike), but on the conversion chart provided by nordstroms i am a 11 E, are the AE shoes on the small side? What should i get?

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spaghettimatt
I'm looking for an alternative to the J Crew Bowery Messenger bag. Canvas, same or similar price range (sub 100 dollars). Similar stylings. Anyone have any tips?

Levis, Urban Outfitters, Fred Perry, Ben Sherman.

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yuna12
thanks a lot for the quick replies, park avenue it is. One more question, my barefoot measurements are 10.6 x 4.33 in, i usually wear a size 10 (from ugg, nike), but on the conversion chart provided by nordstroms i am a 11 E, are the AE shoes on the small side? What should i get?

they run pretty true to size. for an investment like that, i'd go to a nordstroms and try it on, though.

yuna12

Reaction score
the 2 nordstroms within 50 mile radius of where i live don't have my sizes anyways, is AE a presentable brand?

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yes, very

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads