• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is mid-gray a great colour for dark haired people with mid-tone skins?

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I always wear dark suits especially navy and charcoal because they suit my skin complexion and my dark hair...

I have been to A&S and I have tried their a shade darker than mid-gray double-pinstripes house fabric.

Do you think it is great choice ?

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
I always wear dark suits especially navy and charcoal because they suit my skin complexion and my dark hair... I have been to A&S and I have tried their a shade darker than mid-gray double-pinstripes house fabric. Do you think it is great choice ?
Mid grey is a great colour for anyone.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by George
Mid grey is a great colour for anyone.

I used to think it was far too light for me, but I have converted. It is interesting how color preferences change over time and a lighter or darker look will look appropriate and good based upon popularity. It is all about color trends.

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

J. Cogburn

Reaction score
I always wear dark suits especially navy and charcoal because they suit my skin complexion and my dark hair...

I have been to A&S and I have tried their a shade darker than mid-gray double-pinstripes house fabric.

Do you think it is great choice ?
I have found that rules of thumb are of only partial utility here. Look at yourself in the mirror in this shade of grey and see what you think. Trust your eyes. If you look good in it, you look good in it. Don't trust the blanket statements. Everyone's skin and hair tone is different and no one can say for certain without access to ... you!

According to the formulas, for instance, I ought to look great in Cambridge grey (on the light side of mid-grey). I have steely-grey hair going white and ruddy skin. Yet I look positively washed out and lifeless in it. It doesn't matter what Alan Flusser's books may say or SF conventional wisdom might be. Maybe 9 out of 10 men with my general hair/skin attributes would look fine in Cambridge grey. But I don't. I want to, believe me, but it just doesn't work.

Trust your eyes.

OttoSkadelig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
+ 2

- B

vox, am i to interpret this algebra to mean that your opinion is worth 2 regular SF opinions?
laugh.gif

confused.gif

OttoSkadelig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
^^ vox is worth only 2 ?

that was bait. i'm open to alternative interpretations.

i also find the minimalist straight-forwardness of his reply disconcerting and disorienting
plain.gif

lord vox, we crave illumination.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by OttoSkadelig
vox, am i to interpret this algebra to mean that your opinion is worth 2 regular SF opinions?
laugh.gif

confused.gif

- B

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by J. Cogburn
I have found that rules of thumb are of only partial utility here. Look at yourself in the mirror in this shade of grey and see what you think. Trust your eyes. If you look good in it, you look good in it. Don't trust the blanket statements. Everyone's skin and hair tone is different and no one can say for certain without access to ... you!

According to the formulas, for instance, I ought to look great in Cambridge grey (on the light side of mid-grey). I have steely-grey hair going white and ruddy skin. Yet I look positively washed out and lifeless in it. It doesn't matter what Alan Flusser's books may say or SF conventional wisdom might be. Maybe 9 out of 10 men with my general hair/skin attributes would look fine in Cambridge grey. But I don't. I want to, believe me, but it just doesn't work.

Trust your eyes.

I still look better in charcoal or navy...

I have tried it and i'm still convinced navy ,black and charcoal like better than mid-grey on high contrast people..

captoe

Reaction score
i'm very high contrast too and i think mid grey is better than navies and charcoal though they are my favorite. why? they are not too threatening to people. friendlier as some would say. of course if you are naturally friendly then it also wouldn't be a problem. so chose what you really want.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads