• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

how to become an executive?

oman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
young and working for the first time here.

I've gotten some executive exposure for the first time, and i'm wondering how i can join the club. the variety blows me away. for example, there's this one guy who is your stereotypical executive VP - distinguished gray hair, genteel manner, et cetera. HIS boss, however, is young as hell (was profiled in canada's "top 40 under 40" recently), and is a lot more dynamic. some seem to have gotten there by climbing the ranks, and others seem to have fast-tracked

so as you can see, i'm getting some mixed messages here. i totally understand that it takes all kinds to make a large organization run, but what do they have in common? is it necessary for them to be involved in the "guts" of the operation, or is a bird's-eye view much more important? i've met a lot of very talented and commanding personalities in low- and mid-management - what's keeping these folks from breaking into the executive ranks?

this is styleforum (lol), so I assume you're all executives, and have some insight into this strange and fascinating breed. i'm young, and i want to work my way in there. i'm hardly the smartest/most gifted tool in the shed, but i'm young and very, very willing to learn. what makes an exec? how do i get noticed? any advice would be appreciated

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You'll need some really classy business cards.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

KenN

Reaction score
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

oman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
holy crap that business card guy is awesome

personally i dont put much stock in business cards though

volatility smile

Reaction score
Originally Posted by oman
i've met a lot of very talented and commanding personalities in low- and mid-management - what's keeping these folks from breaking into the executive ranks?

There's a reason for this, but I don't know if I want to go into it here. It basically involves a lot of luck, amongst other things, though.

Pantisocrat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A lot of the people here are recent graduates or middle management types. Only a few that I can detect a scent of power anything. Now, you fail to mention your industry and your qualifications. In many fields being noticed starts at the door not in the work place. To start, I recommend sending Trumpp and Blankfein handwritten letters asking for advice. From experience, they write back if you are sincere about your requests.

oman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pantisocrat
To start, I recommend sending Trumpp and Blankfein handwritten letters asking for advice. From experience, they write back if you are sincere about your requests.
ahh, oui? and what did the Donald have to say about this topic? that guy is a hack, imo. living proof that luck can indeed play a very big part in success

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
rotflmao.gif

Monaco

Reaction score
My take is if you need to ask, chances are you don't have what it takes, or you just need to learn through experience. You mentioned fast-tracking, that is how they make it so fast through entrepreneurship. This type of person has the 'Alpha Male' personality, is always quick on their feet, charming, creative brain but rarely creative hands (meaning you have a great imagination and know how to execute but rely on your brain and mouth while others do the rest).

The list goes on but anybody with this persona is bound to become a 'somebody' some day, but it isn't placed in front of you-for you.

If you have the desire to work your way up, a few factors are:
-patience
-timing
-luck
-noticable work ethic (working harder, more efficiently than everybody else)
-ass kissing (this propels you pretty fast, I've noticed)

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Be excellent at your job
Be excellent at the politics
Be good at self promoting without seeming like a self promotor
Be proactive in getting role changes to chase the experience you need. You may not know what experience you need until you get it.

and a liberal sprinkling of luck.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pantisocrat
A lot of the people here are recent graduates or middle management types. Only a few that I can detect a scent of power anything. Now, you fail to mention your industry and your qualifications. In many fields being noticed starts at the door not in the work place. To start, I recommend sending Trumpp and Blankfein handwritten letters asking for advice. From experience, they write back if you are sincere about your requests.

facepalm.gif
Just call them. Or send a text. Whatever.

swaggerisaliability

Reaction score
"McKinsey has produced more CEOs than any other company and is referred to by Fortune magazine as "the best CEO launch pad".[13] More than 70 past and present CEOs at Fortune 500 companies are former McKinsey employees. Among McKinsey most notable alumni are Louis V. Gerstner, Jr. - former chairman and CEO of IBM and chairman of The Carlyle Group, James McNerney - chairman and CEO of Boeing..."

captoe

Reaction score
i actually thought everyone becomes an executive. like everyone that stays long enough in a bank becomes VP. probably not a logical argument there though.
confused.gif

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by captoe
i actually thought everyone becomes an executive. like everyone that stays long enough in a bank becomes VP. probably not a logical argument there though.
confused.gif

Nope. You can stay long enough till you're in your 30s and start seeing peers catch up who are in their 20s. You can be in your 40s and 50s and wonder why everyone who manages you is younger than you.

Unless you join an overinflated organization (i.e. Marsh McLennan) where every other person is some kind of VP but then the novelty is gone.

To oman: Before you commit to any course of action, why do you want to become an executive? What makes you admire the people you mentioned?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads