• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Impressed by Domenico Spano @ Saks

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I've always been a bit hesitant to try Domenico Spano, given that I've often been told he's not a real tailor and simply farms out his work to Adrian Jules.

I was in his store-within-a-store yesterday, and had an opportunity to try on some of his sample coats. Even for a hard to fit person like myself, the coats looked quite good and the quality of construction seemed pretty top-notch. I was also impressed by Spano's style and knowledge.

So, why are the New Yorkers on this board tepid on Spano? Anyone here with real experience with his bespoke product?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
So, why are the New Yorkers on this board tepid on Spano? Anyone here with real experience with his bespoke product?

He's really pushy, he does not always tell the full honest truth about what he sells, the aesthetic is too over-the-top retro, he always trashes whatever you are wearing even if it's perfect, the price is too high for what you get expecially when compared to other options.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
'Spensive.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Too much damned shoulder.

Then again, if what you want is a '40s Hollywood drape suit, he is the only place I know where you can get it.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
he does not always tell the full honest truth about what he sells

I'd be curious to learn more on this as I'm not that familiar with his business. Could you pls share your thoughts (pm if you prefer).

Originally Posted by Manton
he always trashes whatever you are wearing even if it's perfect

A fair point. But I've started being much less sensitive about this as I've now dealt with many tailors who trash the competition w/o hesitation.

Interesting side-story: Last August, I walked into the store of a tailor that I hadn't worked with in awhile. Right off the bat, he starts to make snippy little comments on the suit I had on. Happily, I let him go on for 2-3 minutes, before reminding him that he was the one who made it 2 years ago
smile.gif

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
'Spensive.

$4,500, but I can use my Amex points. So the effective price for me would be in the high $3K range. Would you consider it at that price?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
$4,500, but I can use my Amex points. So the effective price for me would be in the high $3K range. Would you consider it at that price?

Oh, I don't know a lick about the bespoke service. I was speaking more to the accessories he sells. They are often very pretty, and often very high quality, but they're also super-expensive. Last winter he was selling hand-tasseled silk scarves for about a thousand dollars.

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He's too theatrical, cartoony and costume oriented for my idea of well dressed. But that's his schtick, I get it.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Soph
He's too theatrical, cartoony and costume oriented for my idea of well dressed. But that's his schtick, I get it.

I think one has to disassociate his bow ties, funky shirts and spectators from his suit (not easy, I know). The suits I have seen him in look to be pretty decent.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
ET...I had Spano make up a suit for me in his (relatively) new soft-shouldered model last year. The cloth was a end of bolt Smith's worsted that was quite lovely and the cost was 65% off regular prices, so I bit.

In the end, the suit is nice but nowhere near the quality of fit that Despos and Raphael have delivered. In fact, my Solito coats are several notches better. I haven't given any thought to returning for another and I wear the suit rarely, if ever.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aportnoy
ET...I had Spano make up a suit for me in his (relatively) new soft-shouldered model last year. The cloth was a end of bolt Smith's worsted that was quite lovely and the cost was 65% off regular prices, so I bit.

In the end, the suit is nice but nowhere near the quality of fit that Despos and Raphael have delivered. In fact, my Solito coats are several notches better. I haven't given any thought to returning for another and I wear the suit rarely, if ever.

Thank you Andrew - just the sort of review I was hoping for. Very helpful.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Interesting side-story: Last August, I walked into the store of a tailor that I hadn't worked with in awhile. Right off the bat, he starts to make snippy little comments on the suit I had on. Happily, I let him go on for 2-3 minutes, before reminding him that he was the one who made it 2 years ago
smile.gif

That's awesome.
laugh.gif

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thank you Andrew - just the sort of review I was hoping for. Very helpful.

Glad to help ET. Truth be told ET, it's glorified MTM, no more no less.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
smile.gif

laugh.gif

- B

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads