• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why are overcoats such a neglected piece apparel.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I've had only two forever. Once I get the polo done I doubt I will ever get another. Two seems like plenty.

See - I don't get that. Horses for courses I guess.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that in the U.S., outside of New York, Boston, D.C. and maybe Chicago people neglect quality overcoats, raincoats, and topcoats because they are not quite as functional if you are either sitting in a climate controlled auto or climate controlled office.

Outside of those dense metropolises mentioned above, folks just don't spend as much time outside in the elements walking places. We don't use public transportation or commonly walk a few city blocks to get to our office from the train station or apartment or townhouse. The majority of Americans walk from the house straight into a climate controlled garage, drive to the office parking lot, and walk 100' into the building minimizing any time outside exposed to the elements.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203

I guess it's two things. First is the opportunity cost. I would just rather have more suits. Second, I think those two styles and colors cover every contingency.

Infrasonic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah I have five and have to resist the urge to get many more.
Throw in the seasonal (heat) aspect and that it rains all year round here in Mcr and five isn't actually a lot...

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I guess it's two things. First is the opportunity cost. I would just rather have more suits. Second, I think those two styles and colors cover every contingency.

It's the utilitarian argument that I don't get. I do understand the opportunity cost but I guess it applies to everything - so I imagine it's the latter part of your post that really drives you to position coats at the low end of your priority list.

I would understand Foo adopting a one coat philosophy but if someone enjoys wearing a variety of shirts, shoes, suits, ties, etc... why not want a variety of coats too? A navy sb here, a grey herringbone double breasted there, a camel color one for more earthy tone outfits, a dark brown one, a tweed one, maybe even a cord one for weekends, a dark charcoal or black one for evening wear on cold nights, a couple of lighter cloth ones for spring/fall, etc.....

It may have to do with growing up in Paris, where it's unusual for men to walk around in a suit when the weather gets cold. For some bizare reason, people here think that wearing a scarf and an overcoat is "metro" or something, whereas it's the absolute norm where I'm from.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I guess I have a limited imagination. I don't know what I would do with a different coat. A brown OC can look great but the polo can cover that contingency. I have been very happy with one dark and one light coat for a long time. I am now simply upgrading the coats but the wardrobe will remain the same.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I also think overcoats are generally neglected around here. I don't understand the idea of having fifteen suits and 1 overcoat. I probably have 10 coats and I really enjoy wearing all of them in the winter.
I'm with you on this one ... I have camel, fawn, grey, loden, grey herringbone, brown herringbone, a couple of bold windowpanes, and more. A favorite is an extra long overcoat made up in a silk herringbone of tan & buff.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find overcoats a pain *********** to deal with.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by George
I find overcoats a pain *********** to deal with.
Well, I do regularly lose them -- probably one a year -- leaving them behind (with a pair of prescription glasses in the pocket). That is a pain in the flip side.

Infrasonic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
Crombies are nice...

Classic,elegant and affordable..

The decent ones never seem to go on sale though (not in my local Crombie store anyway).

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
Well, I do regularly lose them -- probably one a year -- leaving them behind (with a pair of prescription glasses in the pocket). That is a pain in the flip side.
Don't get me wrong, I like overcoats, some are beautiful. But for me, it's the hassle of taking it off to get in the car, then putting it back on when I get out, then taking it back off when I reach my desk. It's a bit of a pain. When wearing a suit I just use a scarf and carry a brolly. If you use a bus or train to travel to and from work, then it's a different matter.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Infrasonic
The decent ones never seem to go on sale though (not in my local Crombie store anyway).
Trouble is, you can end up looking a bit like a doorman.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

All right Gov?

Crombies can look a bit Smoking two barrells or Snatch but I love them..

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
All right Gov? Crombies can look a bit Smoking two barrells or Snatch but I love them..
Well, they're pretty good if you have to stash the sawn off.
wink.gif

Infrasonic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah if you go for the classic dark colours it's an issue.

I've got my eye on a nice tan or even greenish one, but as I said earlier, they seem to avoid the sales...
frown.gif

Currently got SB 3/4 dark grey raglan, SB grey herringbone (needs tailoring to fit ), grey Armani trench, SB POW topcoat, SB black cashmere (formal).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 80 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 35 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads