• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are your most regretted purchases?

etseq

Reaction score
For me this has mainly involved shoes. Before I knew anything about style, I bought a few pair of Taryn Rose shoes, thinking they looked decent enough and would be comfortable. Before that, I spent $300 on a hideous pair of Mephistos. Oh how I wish I saved all that money and bought one or two pair of really nice high quality shoes.

Also, before I learned the cycle of when items are put out, then go on sale or end up on Gilt, I pulled the trigger on a few shirts at retail prices, only to see them end up on Gilt or on sale elsewhere at drastically reduced prices.

I try not to beat myself up too much though. To a certain extent, bad purchases are necessary for the learning process....

dibadiba

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
just took the dog for a walk and stopped by at a cafe. what a bad sandwich...it looked amazing but the roast beef had a 1/4" of fat all around the edge of each piece and the meat was just awful. I regret spending money to try out new things that don't work out

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JD_May
Things that don't fit anymore. Seriously I should just not spend money on clothes and only drop skrill on shoes and accessories, stuff that doesn't fluctuate.

yeah this is annoying. I'm thinking of only copping shoes and knits for a while, since knits are one of the few items where sizing can be a bit malleable.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Manuelita from Playas de Rosarito back in 2003. Still paying for that one.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hendrix
yeah this is annoying. I'm thinking of only copping shoes and knits for a while, since knits are one of the few items where sizing can be a bit malleable.
Yeah next paycheck I think I'm a kop a grail knit.

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JD_May
Yeah next paycheck I think I'm a kop a grail knit.

Most of my wardrobe is really nice knitwear and really nice shoes. I have bespoke shirting in really good cotton and some well made pants, but all plain jane.

In my weather I can wear a knit most days of the year, except summer and late spring early autumn, I don't really need heaps of outerwear and snow shoes etc

My advice would be to save money at the start and learn all the tricks of the kop trade, save up a fair bit and use that to buy big on sales and when you see grail items pop up on B&S / eBay / Yoox / Yahoo Japan.

Also, don't buy into this middle tier crap - it's really not worth it 95% of the time. Just get high end stuff.

mondayc

Reaction score
Some navy Red Wing chukkas. The leather is great, but they just don't go with my style anymore.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads