• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is it bad taste to wear college colors if you didn't attend the college?

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
You're not part of that whole Yale thing?

Yes to the coke, no to the closet homosexualism.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Colors no, but anything with the schools name or mascot on it would be.

viator

Reaction score
So only someone who went to Yale can wear a blue and white striped scarf? Only a Penn grad can wear this tie? That seems silly. In most contexts, a scarf is just a scarf.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Yes to the coke, no to the closet homosexualism.
ap4.jpg
Is that a gram?

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
ap4.jpg
Is that a gram?

I unfortunately have the same hairline as Bryce, or will in a few years rather.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Better than a bald spot on top, and it looks good with slicked back hair, if not a bit mobster-ish.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a very British thread. I approve.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by George
This is a very British thread. I approve.

Nothing like conversation about northern Ivy schools and 80's investment banking smells more like the British....
facepalm.gif

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nothing like conversation about northern Ivy schools and 80's investment banking smells more like the British....
facepalm.gif

I'm afraid you've lost me.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is bad form to wear the colours of any institution or organization with which you have no connection and effectively a fraud as you are asking people to believe that you are something you are not. However, as you say, it is sadly common in the USA.

viator

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBR
It is bad form to wear the colours of any institution or organization with which you have no connection and effectively a fraud as you are asking people to believe that you are something you are not. However, as you say, it is sadly common in the USA.

But why should we allow some "institution or organization" to take away colors from the rest of us by some sort of fiat?

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PeterEliot
Come winter, will anyone look at my scarf and go "Hey, are you a ______ grad too? What year?"
Yes, unless it's Notre Dame. Everybody seems to wear Notre Dame stuff. There are more people wearing Notre Dame colors/logos in the U.S. at any one time than live in the entire state of Indiana. If you are looking for the correct answer, the answer is you shouldn't wear them if you're not an alumnus/a, unless you are rooting for the school's team and are at a sporting event in which they are playing. The practical answer is that probably no one will notice in most situations. In the UK, they still take these things a bit more seriously than in the U.S. and these kinds of things will be noticed -- and frowned on -- in certain milieus. I would never wear a striped tie in England, for example, unless it is the tie of a college, club or regiment of which I were a member. I know that stripes on ties made in the U.S. typically go the wrong direction and that you can buy striped ties in England which, presumably, are certified to represent nothing but, hey, why risk it? Without a bright-line rule I would almost be certain to foul it up somehow and then end up sharing a seat on the tube with the regimental commander or something. In the U.S., hardly any alumni regularly wear their school colors anyway. I think by far the largest consumers of school-colored merchandise are a) college football fans and b) proud parents of students who are just itching for you to notice they are wearing a Harvard tie and ask them about it so they can brag about their kid being admitted.

Master Squirrel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBR

I'll tell that to the merchandise licensing department here at the University. They'll be glad to get rid of all that extra revenue they bring in during these tough bugetary times.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
You can wear a blue and gold scarf all you want and I bet not a single Cal grad anywhere will even make the connection.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads