• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Interior accents--taxidermies and bonsai

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I believe I saw a nice home featured in Vogue L'Uomo that had a number of taxidermies in the rooms. It seemed a nice way to dress up an otherwise draughty structure--the magazine home was a large villa of sorts.
s22_large.jpg
Deyrolle in Paris is a well-known taxidermist:
27461216.DSCN4415a.jpg
The perfect complement to some taxidermies are, of course, very old Bonsai trees(or penjing from the original Chinese):
shinpaku.jpg

Full Canvas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing

s22_large.jpg

Certainly it is curious.

For some reason, the first image reminds me of the earlier (1970-1975) paintings of Donald Roller Wilson. The paintings mocked his wealthy clientele.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That first pic is very creepy. I could just imagine how girls would react if they saw it in my flat.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Full Canvas
Certainly it is curious.

For some reason, the first image reminds me of the earlier (1970-1975) paintings of Donald Roller Wilson. The paintings mocked his wealthy clientele.

I think Deer Lenore would work well for a Sicilian Baroque house.

I'm a bit familiar with Roller Wilson; and Goya was another who mocked his clients with scathing portrayals:

goya.JPG

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
We have a taxidermed armadillo in our bedroom.

Good taxidermy is hard to find in the US, and even harder to import.

We continue to look.

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Full Canvas
Certainly it is curious.

He also painted the album cover for Frank Zappa's Them or Us. One look at that would explain how you made the connection.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
We have a taxidermed armadillo in our bedroom.

Pic please ;p

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
That first pic is very creepy. I could just imagine how girls would react if they saw it in my flat.
I think it's the grotesqueness that is attractive about taxidermies. There's a sort of an aesthetic statement not dissimilar to the bonsai which are also crippled by their aesthetic impulse. Another related segment would be the Chinese scholar's rocks which symbolize the lonely and elegant disdain of the ideal Chinese scholar:
scholar%20rock%20DSC_1703thumb.jpg

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
We have a taxidermed armadillo in our bedroom. Good taxidermy is hard to find in the US, and even harder to import. We continue to look.
Taxidermies were popular in the 19th century so there are a few antique examples probably still about. Another 19th century item I like are those boxed-in dioramas of Indian temples, etc. which are also rare.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I think it's the grotesqueness that is attractive about taxidermies.

There's a sort of an aesthetic statement not dissimilar to the bonsai which are also crippled by their aesthetic impulse.

Another related segment would be the Chinese scholar's rocks which symbolize the lonely and elegant disdain of the ideal Chinese scholar:

scholar%20rock%20DSC_1703thumb.jpg

The scholar's rock is very nice. I've checked a couple sites and can't seem to find any prices. How much does something like that go for? Apparently Lingbi stone is quite rare these days...

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
The scholar's rock is very nice. I've checked a couple sites and can't seem to find any prices. How much does something like that go for? Apparently Lingbi stone is quite rare these days...
Usually a nice quality one in a smaller size will start at about $1500--and of course, the rare, old ones will be quite expensive. They sometimes have them at auctions; I saw one just two weeks ago at the Butterfield's Fine Chinese Art auction preview.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads