• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Phineas Cole Jacket - Thoughts? And Critique

nytek

Reaction score
So I went into the Paul Stuart store in NYC looking for some sportcoats and thought the Phineas Cole line fit me really well in 36R. However, they had a limited selection of styles that were sale and below is the only one I found that I was interested in:
photo.jpg
It had an original price of $1,700 and is on sale for $900. Do you think it's worth it in terms of price? I do think it fits me really well, but I'm not sure about the pattern. I have a navy and charcoal blazer, so I'm looking to expand my collection. Would you pay $900 for something like this and do you think a 27-year old can pull this jacket off? Or should I buy this later in life and spend the $900 on EG shoes or something? Any and all thoughts appreciated. Thanks. Edit: Please ignore the shirt as that was just something I put on in the store to try the jacket.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I love a waisted coat, but that one gives you some hulking shoulders. Is it linen? That's the type of thing I think ought to look relaxed.

If the budget's a concern, I'd say you can get something that will serve the same purpose for much less than $950. Especially if it's linen.

nytek

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I love a waisted coat, but that one gives you some hulking shoulders. Is it linen? That's the type of thing I think ought to look relaxed.

If the budget's a concern, I'd say you can get something that will serve the same purpose for much less than $950. Especially if it's linen.

The fabric was actually really nice - the iPhone pic doesn't do it justice, but it had a nice texture to it. Definitely not linen, but it was some wool blend.

I see your point on the shoulders though, and that was one of my concerns with it too. My navy blazer is a RLBL which has very sharp shoulders, but that definitely works better in a navy blazer than this style of sportcoat.

heaven7

Reaction score
For what it's worth, I think it looks very good.

niidawg3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
for 950 dollars i think you can get an MTM, or maybe even bespoke number that will fit waay better. this doesnt fit well, especially the shoulders, as Doc said. the fabric is also run of the mill.

now if you want an average fitting RTW blazer, it can be had for less than 400 bucks.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually looks pretty decent for a ready to wear jacket.
Phineas cole do have strong shoulders. In some people it looks good

This forum has an unhealthy obsession with soft shoulders as if it's the end all of all tailoring.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What exactly is the problem with the shoulders that people keep mentioning? The roping is a matter of taste, but the fit looks fine to me.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
Actually looks pretty decent for a ready to wear jacket.
Phineas cole do have strong shoulders. In some people it looks good

This forum has an unhealthy obsession with soft shoulders as if it's the end all of all tailoring.

+1. I think that the jacket looks good and it fits well.

My only concern would be whether the cost is justified for an odd jacket and really, only the original poster can answer that question for himself!

Spark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shoulders work for you, but look a wee bit tight, shape is great, but the quarters are reeeeaaaallllly open - I think that's what people are responding to in terms of the balance of the jacket

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
looks a little too tight around the waist, like could you even close the bottom button if you wanted?
I like the pattern and coloring, but $900 seems a little steep, even if it were a suit. I guess we're all just dealhunters, but even to the average person, still seems a bit much.

I disagree about the MTM argument, I find many of them lack any sort of personality like some OTR items. That jacket has some message, but if money's not a consideration, I would perhaps wait it out.

laphroaig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
Actually looks pretty decent for a ready to wear jacket. Phineas cole do have strong shoulders. In some people it looks good This forum has an unhealthy obsession with soft shoulders as if it's the end all of all tailoring.
Originally Posted by Journeyman
+1. I think that the jacket looks good and it fits well. My only concern would be whether the cost is justified for an odd jacket and really, only the original poster can answer that question for himself!
I agree with both of these comments. It's a beautiful jacket that based on the single photo you provided seems to fit you very well but only you can weigh up the cost to yourself. Personally I like that style of shoulder, the suppression, the open quarters, the lapel width, even the material. The jacket isn't extreme so shouldn't date quickly if you think of it as a longer term investment that you can still wear years later.

vida

Reaction score
The jacket is great and it looks great on you. I too am a 36r and it is hard to find clothing that fits well and is proportioned to a smaller frame. As far as the style of the coat is concerned, it should work well for years to come. The quality is very worth the price, too!

nytek

Reaction score
So I'm sensing conflicting opinions out there? In regards to the budget, I (like everyone) don't have an unlimited budget but I can definitely afford to spend a $1K. However, I wanted to see if it's more reasonable to spend that amount on a nice Edward Green shoe or an "odd-jacket" like this.

For those of you who think I can get something at something around $500, do you have some recommendations for where I could find something in a trim fit in 36R in a RTW. The few guys with the same size as me on this thread can vouch for how difficult it is to find anything in your size OTR. Both the blazer that I have in navy and charcoal - I paid full retail for because it was impossible to find anywhere.

So for sportcoats with a slimmer fit in 36R in NYC - any recommendations?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics