• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

***The official LVC thread***

Simontuntelder

Reaction score

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Thanks, it says a large shirt would have a chest of 102 cm which is around 40 inches. Seems a little tight to me. Wonder if it supposed to fit a person of 40 inch chest or the pit to pit measurement is 40 inches

jfurt

Reaction score
I just got the 20s chambray about a week ago so I can offer some thoughts on it.

I purchased it from Oi Polloi (big fans of them) and followed their measurements. They've only got the size large listed so here it is:
http://www.oipolloi.com/store/LevisV...dMo-12254.html

The large definitely isn't 20" p2p but more for someone with a 40" chest. Normally I wear a medium in most everything I wear whether it's Levi's westerns to Gitman buttondowns, but with this I got a large based on their recommendation because the sleeves are cut rather short, and it's supposed to fit slightly roomier. It's definitely a straight cut, more on the boxy side, which I may have slightly tailored. The sleeves are baggier than most of what I wear also, presuming in the same vein as the 20s design.

Overall the shirt is awesome. The color of the Caliroots side is more accurate. The material is light and the chambray has a lot of character. The large is a little long for my taste but it's geared to be worn tucked in (that's how I'm wearing it at least) so it works for me.

Hope that helps some.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was wondering if anyone had ever run across a pair of 646's before. I did a bit of lurking and found scant references to this cut (more actually on Superfuture than here). Apparently in 2006 LVC did a limited run of them. They've an orange, big E, tab as found on production between '66-'71 (afterwards small E until '83 when they were discontinued). Notably they also are lacking a 5th pocket and any sort of back-patch on the outer waistband. Stylistically this is all correct and in line with vintage models. Denim is dark and feels heavy and raw. I copped this pair in TJMaxx of all places while out with my wife tonight. Was wondering if I stumbled onto some actual pair of LVC at insane discount, or if Levi's issued some other sort of vintage repro of which I'm unaware.
Blog+Photo+Drop+004.JPG
Blog+Photo+Drop+005.JPG
Blog+Photo+Drop+006.JPG
Flash blurred out the text on the tag here, but it reads "This is a vintage replica. As with true vintage, shrinkage may vary between garments. Please try on to find your actual size."
Blog+Photo+Drop+007.JPG
Blog+Photo+Drop+008.JPG
Blog+Photo+Drop+009.JPG
Blog+Photo+Drop+011.JPG
Blog+Photo+Drop+012.JPG
Any thoughts would be appreciated. And I know - in a time full of skinny, straight jeans these are not the most sought after cut. But I'm just thrilled with the possibility of finding LVC for $20.

Pablo-T

Reaction score
I think these are the Orange Tab reissues of roughly a year ago. Which were reissues, but not distributed by LVC. They were great, not quite LVC prices, I think I saw them retailing for £100 or so. Good catch, I think. A lot of denim nerds who have gone beyond the simple 'selvage is best' philosophy love the fading and other qualities of the Orange Tabs. I believe that is OE yarn - which is getting increasingly hard to find! Can't find my catalogue, but here's a crappy pic which shows some of the 646 options. THey did some great finishes on this range...
IMG_0754.jpg
IMG_0755.jpg
IMG_0753.jpg

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If the denim itself is that decent quality, I might just go get the legs tapered down a bit then. Not super keen on flare itself, although everything has a time and place.

Maybe they'll sit in my closet for 10 years and then make a reappearance as is. Who knows.

Thanks for the info though, Pablo-T. Appreciate it.

Shorty Long

Reaction score
Actually, the 646s El Argentino found are indeed LVCs. One hell of a find. They were a US exclusive, during the period that we had our own LVC output (roughly 2005-06, I think). My wife had two pairs, one "deadstock" and one finished.

Originally Posted by Pablo-T
I think these are the Orange Tab reissues of roughly a year ago. Which were reissues, but not distributed by LVC. They were great, not quite LVC prices, I think I saw them retailing for £100 or so. Good catch, I think.

A lot of denim nerds who have gone beyond the simple 'selvage is best' philosophy love the fading and other qualities of the Orange Tabs. I believe that is OE yarn - which is getting increasingly hard to find!

Can't find my catalogue, but here's a crappy pic which shows some of the 646 options. THey did some great finishes on this range...

IMG_0754.jpg

IMG_0755.jpg

IMG_0753.jpg

Shorty Long

Reaction score
If you happen to go back and they have a pair of 30x32 (and you're willing to proxy) PLEASE let me know!!!

Originally Posted by El Argentino
If the denim itself is that decent quality, I might just go get the legs tapered down a bit then. Not super keen on flare itself, although everything has a time and place.

Maybe they'll sit in my closet for 10 years and then make a reappearance as is. Who knows.

Thanks for the info though, Pablo-T. Appreciate it.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shorty Long
If you happen to go back and they have a pair of 30x32 (and you're willing to proxy) PLEASE let me know!!!
I think I want to scream outloud, Shorty Long. You've made my month. Offhand, I remember two more pairs in a 34 waist (another 32 inseam and a 30), a pair of 27X32, and maybe something in a 30 waist. I will head back over there tonight to check.

Pablo-T

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shorty Long
Actually, the 646s El Argentino found are indeed LVCs. One hell of a find. They were a US exclusive, during the period that we had our own LVC output (roughly 2005-06, I think). My wife had two pairs, one "deadstock" and one finished.

That's certainly possible, they did indeed have some orange tab in the LVC line before they introduced the whole range; the ones I saw in Europe all had LVC tags, but that might differ in the US. Either way, great jeans.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
That 2009 altamont 'orange - tab' reissued was a great series. Geez, I need to hit up my local tj maxx. Paul - the new201 from levis workwear ,I can't imagine these possess LVC like details, but as far as fit they seem OK and have the cinch and suspender buttons. Any glaring mistakes you see that might cause concern or prevent someone to pick these up on the inevitable deep discount that comes with levis.com?

Shorty Long

Reaction score
Here's the LVC catalog with the '66 646s in them (s/s 2007)
4466880303_a09c08503d_b.jpg
here's the LVC catalog with the '71 646s in them (f/w 2004)...notice the Felix t-shirt...in my opinion the greatest t LVC ever put out.
L1000831.jpg
I didn't recall them being available for that long here in the US, but I'm getting old. There really wasn't any difference between the '66 and '71 models as far as I could tell.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm here at my TJMaxx right now, and found one of these LVC pairs with a small cataloge in the back pocket. I've found, based on the book, the 1971 646 Deadstock in sizes 27x32, 34x30, 34x32, and 36x32, as well as the 1971 646 Fred pair in a 33x34 (two of them). They're the real deal, friends. Anyone need a proxy? I would post photos, but my SIM card is acting up.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As far as the actual lengths go compared to tags, I wear a 32 inseam normally, and these drag on the floor a ton when held up to my waist. My guess is their longer to capture that 70's vibe. I'd say they're between 34-35 inches long when marked 32. Just so y'all know. Actually more like 33-34 inches looking at them now.

along

Reaction score
Hi everyone, i'm new to lvc. just ordered 1915 and 1947 from cultizm and i'm hunting for a pair of 1901. i chanced upon a pair of 1901 on ebay; is this the thread to seek advice on it's authenticity?if not, do direct me to an appropriate section. http://cgi.ebay.com/LEVIS-LVC-New-vi...5#ht_500wt_928 please pardon my ignorance, the pair doesn't come with belt patch, which is unlike the reference from paul trynka's 501 faq. the size-tag looks likes it's sewn on over an original piece. what do you guys think?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads