• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Duly noted! Thanks.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by luk-cha

they are surely from a different era. much better balanced than the "newbie"...

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
they are surely from a different era. much better balanced than the "newbie"...

well i guess you aint no oxford fan, but nothing wrong in this design or the balance of them!

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
well i guess you aint no oxford fan, but nothing wrong in this design or the balance of them!

mate, when i talk about balance. i never talk about the style/model.

it's all about the heel and sole(thickness and ratio). the new VASH heels and this bloody HAF thing reminds me of AE and a copy of any english maker - me too comes to my mind. i cannot appreciate this development in regards of aesthetics and pedigree.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zenga
Which Saphir color wax would you use on Antique Cognac and Dark Cognac respectively?

Dark brown

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
mate, when i talk about balance. i never talk about the style/model.

it's all about the heel and sole(thickness and ratio). the new VASH heels and this bloody HAF thing reminds me of AE and a copy of any english maker - me too comes to my mind. i cannot appreciate this development in regards of aesthetics and pedigree.

there is nothing wrong in the heel sole thinkness balance neither when i walk nor in the pictures, perhaps it is the less refined way that vass finishes the sole that gives it that impression in some of the pictures, if the waist and sole was cut that bit closer to the upper then you would not notice it or taking the pictures at a different angle.

fyi i wear vass perhaps 55 - 60% of the time, all other times it is my G&G bespoke (which have a veried hight difference) and i have never suffered with any issues that you might associate with the heels heeing too high or too low or off balance to use your terms.

as for the oldies and the newbies heel and sole is the same, only difference is the worn and unworn lah!

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
as for the oldies and the newbies heel and sole is the same, only difference is the worn and unworn lah!
Yeah, I was wondering...thought sure I was missing something...I thought they looked about the same as well.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

when the sole exaggerates from the upper, especially around the heel in this case, it's not noticeable while wearing.

there's a huge difference from the old to the newer ones. pity.

it just looks like AE everybody is bitching about. no more or less.

as you said. they should cut it closer...

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
when the sole exaggerates from the upper, especially around the heel in this case, it's not noticeable while wearing.

after 4+ years of buying and wearing i have not noticed any difference - if anything they have got better

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
when the sole exaggerates from the upper, especially around the heel in this case, it's not noticeable while wearing. as you said. they should cut it closer...
Pardon me if I misunderstand, but I must tell you that as a shoemaker I'd rather see the heel seat be a little proud of the upper than not. Every aspect of a shoe has a function and a purpose if the shoe is well made. Even otherwise aesthetic considerations. If the heel is trimmed too close to the upper it leaves the shoe vulnerable to scuffing. If the shoe has a solid, leather heel stiffener...as any well made shoe will...the back and sides of the shoe will be hard and unyielding. Sharp objects or abrasive surfaces can do more damage here than to the front or top of the shoe. Stepping off a curb, getting into vehicles, carelessly crossing or banging the feet around under the table or against each other in a nightclub...just a few of the situations where the back and sides of the shoe can be damaged. The heel and the heel seat, if made with deliberation, act as a "bumper" of sorts, protecting the upper. A close trim is desired, yes. But too close is, in some ways, worse than not close enough. In my opinion.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DWFII

we're talking the same thing. well made shoes. i'm fine.

thank you for the explanation. certainly, you're more authorized.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
after 4+ years of buying and wearing i have not noticed any difference - if anything they have got better

you talk about wearing them. not me
laugh.gif

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

do you have any pictures, i might not be getting 100% you meaning - sorry!

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
do you have any pictures, i might not be getting 100% you meaning - sorry!

your very own. DW explained it very well, i can't do it better.

you know, i really like VASH, but fortunately i have the whole palette in front of me... ...and a fantastic source through "operation paprika".

cheers

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads