• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

ctbrew

Reaction score
Can a shirt with French cuffs be tailored to have normal cuffs?

mattt

Reaction score
I'm looking for a pair of trousers for job and future grad school interviews, as my current ones are the dreaded black suit pants. Anyone have recommendations for good quality and relatively inexpensive ones (under $100 preferably), that make a size 29 waist, in charcoal or something else appropriate?

blynch

Reaction score
Which shoe should I get? Would wear frequently with trousers/button up, and occasionally with a suit. The alden would run ~$50 less.
A) Black calf C&J Hallam leather sole
B) Black calf Alden Plain toe Bal on plaza last single leather sole?

Never tried any C&J before, but for Alden the copley last works well for me while the barrie is too loose in the heel/ankle (haven't tried plaza).

wetnose

Reaction score
Originally Posted by daruma
anyone have a picture of a good suit on someone who has very sloped shoulders?

Phat Guido's shoulders are not very sloped but a little more than average. Check his px out.

scopecks

Reaction score
What I'm looking for is a slim fitting black suit or sport jacket with **** pockets which is somewhat short, with two vents or no vents (shorter jacket), in my size, 36S.

Problematically I've found that it's pretty difficult to find exactly what I want in this size.

I'm a student, 19, in the UK and I realise the value that suits hold, however because I'm a student I'm reluctant to take a train ride to Savile row, as I think a bespoke suit would be way above my price range. I'm looking to pay up to the £650 price range for the jacket alone, currently.

The closest I got to what I was looking for was at a concession in the Trafford Centre Selfridge's called 'Alexandre Savile Row' but I feel the suit there was too business-like and didn't have the right pockets. I am looking for something somewhat versatile, that I can wear with pushed up sleeves and a casual shirt or don a pink dress shirt when the time comes for that.

Here is the style of jacket I am looking to find:

alfie.JPG

black-jeans-gray-uo-blazer-black-club-monaco-shirt-brown-value-village-bel_400.jpg

Thanks.

dron

Reaction score
i have a suit with a non working buttoniere. can i just cut a hole through the fabric inside the stitching or do i have to have a tailor make a real buttonhole? sorry for big crap pics - will take them down as soon as my question is answered. thanks.
knaphul.jpg

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drøn
i have a suit with a non working buttoniere.
can i just cut a hole through the fabric inside the stitching or do i have to have a tailor make a real buttonhole?

sorry for big crap pics - will take them down as soon as my question is answered. thanks.
knaphul.jpg

Just **** it yourself. No damage will be done.

asdf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KeatonCollar
If you know if you have hard water supplied to you house and you steam your clothes, do you still use the tap water or use exclusively filtered?

I got tired of buying filtered water at the store so I started using the tap.

Use a brita

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by onix
Just **** it yourself. No damage will be done.
That's only true if it's a real buttonhole that's tacked shut. It's much more likely that it's a faux buttonhole in which case you cannot simply **** it open inside the stitching.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328
That's only true if it's a real buttonhole that's tacked shut. It's much more likely that it's a faux buttonhole in which case you cannot simply **** it open inside the stitching.

This is a boutonniere though, not cuff button. Meaning there is no real button there, just a hole right there.

eztantz

Reaction score
Contemplating buying an Aquascutum trench coat here on the forum. Does anyone know how they fit - I'm a 46L and his one is a Regular. can someone tell me how they are sized or cut. I know Sanyo's sometimes fit even when they are regulars. Its hard to take sleeve measurements as its a raglan sleeve. Anyone have experience?

TieMyShoe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KeatonCollar
If you know if you have hard water supplied to you house and you steam your clothes, do you still use the tap water or use exclusively filtered?

I got tired of buying filtered water at the store so I started using the tap.

If your clothing is expensive, buy bottled water.

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ctbrew
Can a shirt with French cuffs be tailored to have normal cuffs?

Definitely.

I left my french cuff at my grandma's place when I went to visit. She changed them to normal cuffs without even asking me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads