• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Folded Up Shirt Appreciation

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
I get placket buttons because I find it more elegant than a long unbuttoned placket that gapes open and shows the arm.

are we talking french or barrel cuff? ...and, who did say that the placket is long then. it's as long as its needed. a good shirtmaker takes care of this. i admit, there might be regional differences...

fwiw, my shirtmaker pointed me there, in telling me that only m....s have a button there. i trust him and i love the button free feeling. it's more elegant and a sign of taste...
wink.gif

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What does "m....s" mean? Anyhow, a short placket is not very functional for someone who likes to roll up his sleeves. I'm sure you love your shirtmaker with passion and trust him, but I've never heard a shirtmaker says that a gauntlet button is a RTW feature that's not necessary on a custom shirt.

Understand that I'm not bickering over the preference of having a button or not, I'm simply trying to understand why anyone would say that it's reserved for RTW. I see how two buttons on a cuff or multiple holes in a belt are RTW features that are unnecessary for custom but this one I can't even start to understand.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
are we talking french or barrel cuff? ...and, who did say that the placket is long then. it's as long as its needed. a good shirtmaker takes care of this. i admit, there might be regional differences...

fwiw, my shirtmaker pointed me there, in telling me that only m....s have a button there. i trust him and i love the button free feeling. it's more elegant and a sign of taste...
wink.gif

You're welcome to your personal opinion, but often when someone challenges one of your didactic remarks, you trot out the ol' 'regional differences', 'my shirtmaker/tailor told me' etc.
confused.gif

I've had everyone from Charvet to Hilditch to Geneva advise me to use a gauntlet button.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I guess if the maker makes the gauntlet really short, then it won't need a button. I still like the button, though not for BDs.

sartorialexecutive

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I guess if the maker makes the gauntlet really short, then it won't need a button. I still like the button, though not for BDs.

or as mentioned on Coles website...

an over and under gauntlet. This consists of two pieces of fabric either side of the sleeve opening above the cuff. These keep the sleeve together in wear and prevent "gaping." This does away with the need to have a "button in gauntlet" which is a cheaper option often used to keep the sleeve closed when gauntlets have been dispensed with.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I still like the button, though not for BDs.
Why not?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
Why not?

Seems "wrong" because the BB version never had one.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
You're welcome to your personal opinion, but often when someone challenges one of your didactic remarks, you trot out the ol' 'regional differences', 'my shirtmaker/tailor told me' etc.
confused.gif

I've had everyone from Charvet to Hilditch to Geneva advise me to use a gauntlet button.

ET, it's not didactic. ...and yes, there are regional differences. not that I know of all.

same would apply, that these folks advised you to use one on a french cuff. i cannot believe this, sorry.
confused.gif

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What does "m....s" mean? Anyhow, a short placket is not very functional for someone who likes to roll up his sleeves. I'm sure you love your shirtmaker with passion and trust him, but I've never heard a shirtmaker says that a gauntlet button is a RTW feature that's not necessary on a custom shirt.

Understand that I'm not bickering over the preference of having a button or not, I'm simply trying to understand why anyone would say that it's reserved for RTW. I see how two buttons on a cuff or multiple holes in a belt are RTW features that are unnecessary for custom but this one I can't even start to understand.

you roll up french cuff shirts. tell me more...

it's not about a love affair between my shirtmaker and me. i just trust his advise - old school. no more or less.

you'll probably will not here it in the diction of being solely a RTW-feature but maybe he directs you w/o even knowing he does.

some might be lost in translation, cause this is not my mother tongue. so be it.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When did this discussion become about French cuffs? teddieriley's post you replied to with your definitive statement was clearly about gauntlet buttons on barrel cuffs. I think we're all talking about barrel cuffs here, except maybe for spalla who's talking about... well no one ever knows what this guy is talking about.

I agree that French cuffs look cleaner without a gauntlet button - it's consistent with the absence of button at the cuff.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Seems to me that a gauntlet button is more necessary for FC than for BC.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seems to me that a gauntlet button is more necessary for FC than for BC.

I disagree with that. You can get a very short placket with a FC because you'll never roll it up so you don't need the functionality of a longer ****.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
When did this discussion become about French cuffs? teddieriley's post was about gauntlet buttons on barrel cuffs. I think we're all talking about barrel cuffs here,...

...am not talking about td. that's long gone, also due he's not participating atm.

i mentioned the french cuffs.

...and i was talking about general rules applying to the different kinds of cuffs, especially old school. not very innovative, i know. but so i am, very conservative.

btw, no button on my barrels, too ...also no gaping at all.
smile.gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
But with a button cuff, the two gauntlet panels will always neatly overlap. With an FC, they won't. They need the button or else they will gape.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I disagree with that. You can get a very short placket with a FC because you'll never roll it up so you don't need the functionality of a longer ****.

correct

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Forum statistics

Threads