• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Greenfield on Gilt

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sfnapolifan
Hmm, I'm surprised on that one--definitely don't see any evidence of that in the lining.

The Isaia was nice, don't get me wrong, but fabric was not in the same league as what I see at the local Neimans in SF. It was sort of a steel blue number in a S120s hopsacky ticketpunchy type of thing. I've seen the same suit make several apperances in successive Isaia sales--which made me think it was probably a made-for-Gilt item. Again, not unhappy with it in any way--other than for the fact that I saw some dbag wearing the same suit at a conference--and definitely feel I got a great deal on it.

I think what people are failing to appreciate is that these are not diffusion line items. The manufacturers want money, obviously, but their mainline standards are still likely to remain largely in place even with items made for Gilt.

Isaia we buy from their retail stock, C'e' Luca! and Corallo Rosso are the brands the Isaia group make exclusively for Gilt, Nordstroms and other channels.

Bull

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gilt is a foul, miserable thing, but I'd do its founders. A few buddies of mine went to HBS with Alexandra. A bright young lady, from what I gather.

gilte_founders.jpg

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bull
Gilt is a foul, miserable thing, but I'd do its founders. A few buddies of mine went to HBS with Alexandra. A bright young lady, from what I gather.

Did you read the NY Mag article?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ryan founded Gilt. These two were hired later.

justsayno

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
anyone who kopped care to share their experience?

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by justsayno

I purchased the tan cotton pair and I'm actually wearing them today. So far, my impression is good. I'm typically a 30 in pants and ordered that size despite the one article saying to size up and they were indeed a tad snug in the top block. I had my tailor let out the waist and seat a tad and they are still snug at the hips (not enough for me to be uncomfortable at all though), but then again I'm used to true slim fits being a frequenter of the SW&D side. I like the material and I feel that they are a good pair of quality well made pants. Nice, deep front and lined pockets, etc. They certainly aren't the holy grail of pants, but they are what I would expect a pair of pants to be at the price they were listed for during the sale. I'm thinking that the mainline Greenfield pants are in a whole different bracket, but having no personal experience I can't really speak to that with any facts.

I know they caught my tailor's eye as soon as he saw them up close. He really liked the cotton and said they were a very nice pair of pants. As soon as he starting measuring me up, he knew they were hand made and when I mentioned Greenfield, he knew the name and had good feedback to share.

sfnapolifan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by justsayno

since this thread has been resurrected...

i bought the seersucker pants. fit well (slim cut) and appear well made (in the same ballpark as greenfield-made bbgf pants). panta is probably a better bargain on the same manufacturer's wares (but better materials), but i'm pleased and will be looking forward to the next sale to maybe pick up some more. my only gripe is that i would have preferred the pants to have a french fly.

ElementHU

Reaction score
I ordered a 46R in the Navy and returned it straightaway. The material seemed nice, but the jacket sleeves were so short that it almost seemed altered already...either that or I mistakenly bought a Thom Browne suit. Nonetheless, I wasn't thrilled with the cut though the material had a decent hand. As I complained about these being potentially altered merchandise, Gilt gave me a full refund to my credit card instead of account credit.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Resurrecting this thread, as I see Gilt has a few MG suits in my size (36S).

http://www.gilt.com/sale/men/suits-o...oduct/34550453

I like it and all, but a) this thread worries me but is far from conclusive (almost everyone is pontificating about Gilt rather sharing a real experience), and b) I'm a "slim-fit" whore at heart and am wondering if this suit is cut as fashionably as Dior, etc.

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SirGrotius
I like it and all, but a) this thread worries me but is far from conclusive (almost everyone is pontificating about Gilt rather sharing a real experience), and b) I'm a "slim-fit" whore at heart and am wondering if this suit is cut as fashionably as Dior, etc.

I bought one of the Gilt MG suits recently and it is ******* awesome.

It is not even remotely Dior Homme. I wouldn't call it slim-fit, just well tailored. It's slimmer than most American-made suits, but it's still fairly conservative. I would compare it to most Italian suits these days.

run23

Reaction score
I bought an MG 38s suit on Gilt. Fit was almost perfect and the fabric/workmanship was very good (especially given the $$ I spent). The jacket length is pretty short (on the shortest end of the acceptable range), but I like short cuts so it didn't bother me. My only complaint is that there is too much shoulder padding, but I plan on trying to get that fixed.

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I always enjoy reading posts where the forum members think they know than the people behind the scenes . It depresses me though on how cheap you F***ers are.
MC- a champagne taste with a cool aid budget.

ShelterIslandMike

Reaction score
Here's the deal: I just bought a MG suit for $900, no returns. It will be delivered next week. I've never bought anything from Gilt before buying this suit. For that matter, I have never bought serious clothing that cannot be returned or at least fixed. So, this is a leap for me.

Here's why I did it: I know MG's stuff and how it is made. MG makes full-canvas jackets with hand-sewn arm holes and tons of construction details that make the suit a workhorse over the long haul. Super 120s wool is about as high as I am willing to go because I want a suit that I can wear frequently and does not have to be coddled.

Mostly I did it because I cannot believe MG would put its own name on anything that does not meet its standards, regardless of any collaboration with some Gilt designer. They'd be ruining a company that has been around for more than 50 years and has been making a quality product for all that time.

(I'm a little worried about the length of the jacket, but that's a style issue. I am not worried about sizing in general because I am a true 40R and, besides, I always have tailoring/alterations done when buying off the rack.)

I let you know how it works out.

ShelterIslandMike

Reaction score
My MG suit from Gilt came today.

Fabric: nice, somewhat thin (but that's super 130s).
Jacket: true to size but tight, much waist suppression, a little shorter (1 1/2 inches) than what I'm used to wearing.
Pants: very slim and tight.

Overall: a quality suit. More fashion-forward than anything MG did for BB, but in a nice way. I remember trying on an MG Golden Fleece about three years ago. That suit was big and boxy; nothing like the MG from Gilt. Anyway, the suit is being altered now by my tailor. Jacket and pants need to be let out (a first for me). The slim, flat-front pants do permit, in my opinion, cuffs of any size, even of one were inclined to cuffs on flat-front pants.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads