• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Folded Up Shirt Appreciation

andreyb2

Reaction score
Russian interpretation of button-down collar:

p1140591.jpg

"Bourbaki" is a bespoke atelier in Moscow.

Andrey

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
frown.gif

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ajv
Thank you Fritzl, that is one of my gimmicks. Lorelli uses two whole buttons since they exist, it's one of their trademarks. I like to have a four whole button at the top with a couloured thread that matches the most visible colour of the shirt and the monogram. I like the look when wearing the shirt with that last button open, adds some sprezzatura.

Adrian

that's a good story.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
that could lead to the start of a new Cold War.

+1
laugh.gif

SpallaCamiccia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
WIDE SPREAD ROLL HISTERIA ; I hated ginham before meeting Styleforum so got this one this week ; Uploaded with ImageShack.us Finamore, best collar ever , Alex collar, no more on production , notice the extra long cuffs, lovely. Uploaded with ImageShack.us Most of you asked me about Delsiena Fatte a mano , better than Borrelli for me; Uploaded with ImageShack.us Great collar , I moved the button, notice it ; Uploaded with ImageShack.us Delsiena second brand, I might return this one, but costed me 30 euros on sales... It´s more pink than than. Thoughts on this one please ? Uploaded with ImageShack.us This blue Delsiena, far better than a Borrelli that I got from a crook with bad fit on thiebay, you can see it in this thread for 2 times more money ; Uploaded with ImageShack.us Etro ; Uploaded with ImageShack.us And the best of all , Zileri Sartoriale, very kiton like fabric might be Riva?? Uploaded with ImageShack.us Uploaded with ImageShack.us

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpallaCamiccia
Finamore, best collar ever , Alex collar, no more on production , notice the extra long cuffs, lovely.

Delsiena second brand, I might return this one, but costed me 30 euros on sales... It´s more pink than than. Thoughts on this one please ?

cuffs are not my cup of tea. not want.

the second is a keeper, for sure...

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there a level of formality with respect to the style of barrel cuffs and the number of buttons and also whether the sleeve placket has a button?

I'm thinking of doing rounded barrel cuffs with one center button and maybe no button on the sleeve plackets on my next shirt. Any problem with this on an OCD button down?

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
1. Is there a level of formality with respect to the style of barrel cuffs and the number of buttons and also whether the sleeve placket has a button?

2. I'm thinking of doing rounded barrel cuffs with one center button and maybe no button on the sleeve plackets on my next shirt. Any problem with this on an OCD button down?

1. yes

2. no problem, it's your shirt. in my pow the placket button is a signature of RTW and it's unnecessary in the sense of function. i don't find them elegant, too.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Do you make the placket shorter too?

banis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
Do you make the placket shorter too?

A little bit shorter in case there is no gauntlet button. Otherwise, it looks irregular like you have forgotten to sew a button.

SpallaCamiccia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
cuffs are not my cup of tea. not want.

the second is a keeper, for sure...

That extra long cuff is top elegant for the next ;

I am 1,92 meters tall, so most of the times on usual long cuffs, the sewn of the cuff with the sleeve is seen all the time, with that extra long , just the cuff is seen. Top!!

A keeper? Ok I´ll keep it, thanks Fritzl .

Originally Posted by teddieriley
Is there a level of formality with respect to the style of barrel cuffs and the number of buttons and also whether the sleeve placket has a button?

I'm thinking of doing rounded barrel cuffs with one center button and maybe no button on the sleeve plackets on my next shirt. Any problem with this on an OCD button down?

Yes, or for me. Barrel cuffs ( rounded ) super sporty, placket on the buttons, mega sporty . I hate both

And button down, the thing I hate most on shirts. Sorry to say. Fritz will agree.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by banis
A little bit shorter in case there is no gauntlet button. Otherwise, it looks irregular like you have forgotten to sew a button.

a good shirtmaker takes care of this...

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
in my pow the placket button is a signature of RTW and it's unnecessary in the sense of function. i don't find them elegant, too.
I'm not sure I understand this - not saying it's not true, but how does a placket button (gauntlet button) achieve a function in RTW that would be superfluous for a custom shirt? I get placket buttons because I find it more elegant than a long unbuttoned placket that gapes open and shows the arm. The long placket seems necessary to be able to roll up sleeves, especially for tall men or men with long arms.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
I get placket buttons because I find it more elegant than a long unbuttoned placket that gapes open and shows the arm.

Same here. Its hardly the sign of RTW.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads