• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Canvassed suit drenched

Peak and Pine

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lowndes
Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

Since you said sounds like I assume you've not done this. I have or I wouldn't have recommended it. But there are many ways to rectify the problem. Mine is just one. Did I mention I love the rain?

koolhistorian

Reaction score
Do not clean the suit first - the problem is given by the fact that the canvas was drenched, not the fabric. A well made chest piece on a suit is the result of various manipulations, including shrinkage, so that only a good tailor will know what to do. If you feel that there was also some dirt from the rain, go for a sponge and press. FYI only a tailor will press correctly a suit (lesson from my late grandfather and his (also my first) late tailor).

Peak and Pine

Reaction score
Originally Posted by koolhistorian
FYI only a tailor will press correctly a suit (lesson from my late grandfather and his (also my first) late tailor).

Yes, but that presumes I, or you, or anyone here knows zip about ironing. I don't know all the stuff a real mechanic knows, but I can change the oil as well as he. Ditto with the suit pressing thing. No disrespect to your late grandfather. (BTW, is he dead or just tardy?)

koolhistorian

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Peak and Pine
Yes, but that presumes I, or you, or anyone here knows zip about ironing. I don't know all the stuff a real mechanic knows, but I can change the oil as well as he. Ditto with the suit pressing thing. No disrespect to your late grandfather. (BTW, is he dead or just tardy?)

Dead, unfortunately. But reshaping a suit (I assume that is the result of drenched) is more like changing the cam belt rather than the oil., jut to keep the analogy with the car - theoretically I know how it's done, I just let the mechanic to do it (as well as the oil change). Ironing is not "touching up" suit, is really a part in which you put back into shape the inner parts (canvas and shoulder) of the suit - it involves some artisan knowledge that is better to be left to those who have it.

Osprey Guy

Reaction score
+1 for Parkway Cleaners.

I started using them over 15 yrs ago and they are the best! They are not your typical neighborhood dry cleaner. They know more about caring for fine, high-end garments than most (staff members with specialty backgrounds in textiles, etc). And this is one cleaners where you don't have to explain how special each garment is as you nervously hand them across the counter. The folks who work there actually know the difference from one label to another.

Pricey sure....But your garment will come back as nice or nicer than when you left it, assuming there's no permanent stain or unrepairable tear. Even in those instances I've known them to do the seemingly impossible. They've successfully removed ink stains out of expensive trousers for me. And once, many years ago, I brought in a $1000+ Versace shirt, black with white, scalloped inlays. I had gotten a nasty wine stain in one of the white inlays. Parkway took the shirt apart so that they could treat the cotton inlay without messing with the rest of the black shirt...and then they put the shirt back together. Amazing!

Removing special/rare buttons from a shirt prior to cleaning and then sewing them back on afterwards is typical fare. And when they've finished cleaning your jacket, expensive shirt, coat, etc. you'll love the way they "stuff" the inside so that it won't get wrinkled on the way home. There's an overwhelming sense that it's been handled by people who know and care.

Can't say enough good things about them.

Dennis

Peak and Pine

Reaction score
The Parkway Cleaners that Osprey is recommending sounds like a top-notch place (tho I'm equally impressed that he owns a $1,000 shirt), but still, what has happened to Louche is not wildly uncommon; he got caught in a down pour in a suit. I think Gene Kelley once had that happen and he danced and sang his way through his mishap. Why not just let it dry on a good solid hanger first and see what happens. No one here seems too receptive to my idea of ironing and steaming the thing back into shape. Okay. Would I be adding crazy on crazy if I told you that I've also washed a couple of suits in warm sudsy water and they came out just fine? Probably.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Peak and Pine
The Parkway Cleaners that Osprey is recommending sounds like a top-notch place (tho I'm equally impressed that he owns a $1,000 shirt), but still, what has happened to Louche is not wildly uncommon; he got caught in a down pour in a suit. I think Gene Kelley once had that happen and he danced and sang his way through his mishap.

Why not just let it dry on a good solid hanger first and see what happens. No one here seems too receptive to my idea of ironing and steaming the thing back into shape. Okay. Would I be adding crazy on crazy if I told you that I've also washed a couple of suits in warm sudsy water and they came out just fine? Probably.

Its not so much that people don't believe it can work, but if you've spent money and effort gathering good clothes most people aren't blasÃ
00a9.png
enough to have at it with a steam iron.

Maybe you've got balls like watermelons, or you've got money to burn, but I for one would rather a pro try and fix an issue than DIY it based on an internet forum.

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
UPDATE

Got the suit back from my (respectable) cleaner the other day. It looks fine other than a funny portion on the inside of each quarter, below the bottom button/hole where the edge of the fabric with pick stitch didn't press correctly. I took it to a local bespoke tailor to see if he would press this out and he said that it appears the canvas may have shrunk a touch, that pressing wouldn't correct this. He has it now and will be opening it up to see what can be done. I hope it turns out OK.

junior varsity

Reaction score
what happens when a FUSED suit get drenched then?
does the glue come apart?

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by junior varsity
what happens when a FUSED suit get drenched then?
does the glue come apart?

pretty much, among other things.

junior varsity

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Viral

so you cant go to a tailor and get it taken apart and restitched back with real lining?

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by junior varsity
so you cant go to a tailor and get it taken apart and restitched back with real lining?

I don't think removing fusible is quite that easy. If it's not been attached well it can bubble, but it will still not just peel off without possibly damaging the fabric.

Mr. Tweed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Viral

Unless the interlining is made of paper, I would not think so. The fusing is not water soluble. I mean, every decent quality jacket with some fusing inside can even take a number of dry cleanings without de-laminating.

Yours,
Mr. Tweed

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
I don't think removing fusible is quite that easy. If it's not been attached well it can bubble, but it will still not just peel off without possibly damaging the fabric.

I machine washed a fused suit jacket once (for Second Life for a Suit), normal program 40 degrees Celsius. It was as fused after as it was before.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads