• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does your past or current military experience influence your civvy dressing style?

suited&booted

Reaction score
Like most able bodied males in Singapore I was enlisted at 18. We have to serve 2.5 years of full time national service and thereupon serve 10-13 years of military reserve duty. I finished my military obligations last year at age 39 as a Company Sergeant Major (CSM) in an infantry regiment.

I may not admit to it readily but I think my military experience has influenced my way of dressing. No, I do not mean appropriating camo or cargo in my daily civvy style but the genial OCD-ness about fit, fabric and appropriateness of dress to different occasions. As a CSM I had to enforce discipline and that includes my men's turnout. Obviously, there were various dress codes for parade, field training, etc.

I seem to have carried this habit or shoud I say, the army has influenced my civvy dress sense. I'm glad and sometimes irritated by it.

If time permits, I would like to hear from the rest of you if you have similar thoughts or experiences based on your past or current military experiences.

P.S. You do not have to give your actual unit or whatever you do in specific. I certainly won't.
bigstar[1].gif

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Boy, a styleforummer who is also anal retentive and in the military. Your men must be real glad to see you leave the service.
laugh.gif

JBjunior

Reaction score
I am in the military in the U.S. and until recently it has been the exact opposite for me. I have to wear the same uniform daily, clean and unsoiled, and would look forward to coming home and not having to meet a standard. Throwing on something without having to be inspected was a stress reliever for me.

suited&booted

Reaction score
Originally Posted by upnorth
Boy, a styleforummer who is also anal retentive and in the military. Your men must be real glad to see you leave the service.
laugh.gif

By way of conditioning most Singaporeans are anal retentive. Thank you for your prompt and witty reposte.

Yika

Reaction score
What happens in the army, stays in the army!

Peak and Pine

Reaction score
I was not in the army unless bell ringing at the mall for the Salvation Army counts but come to think of it I didn't do that either. However, I am in possession of a WWI USA wool greatcoat which fits and feels like no other and I get what you mean. I am slim and had always worn loose stuff until I got that coat which did influence my dress in other areas. Seriously. I also salute a lot more now.

Rada

Reaction score
My military service has influenced the way I dress. I iron my tshirts, I iron my shorts, etc... Nothing can be wrinkled. You develop a certain standard of symmetry as well. Everything must be even... and a loose thread is cause for panic. I held my appearance in uniform to a higher standard than most others... I was proud of it. It often caused people from a distance to salute me thinking I was an officer or stand at parade rest thinking I was a senior NCO. I enjoyed that
smile.gif
But, yes, I don't see how anyone who took their military service and appearance seriously could not have it carry over to their civilian appearance.

Sydguy

Reaction score
The army has destroyed my senses! I still want to pull people up on small infractions with their dress and bearing not that I ever did that when I was in.
So many many people do not connect how you present yourself clean shaven and well dressed for work daily actually enhances your prospects dramatically and gets you taken seriously.
There are a lot of civies who wo have it sorted too though. As for the wearing camo thing I never have and probably never will... it would result in relentless mocking if you were wearing 'fashion' cams on weekends.

Fat-tie-knot

Reaction score
Big time, atleast in my case. I find NCOs have the best dress and deportment. Part of their culture. The RSM is responsible for the dress of NCMs of the regiment, so they need to lead from the front. Officers are generally bags of hammers, exceptions of course, myself being one.

I iron absolutely everything and I polish my shoes regularly.

Tranny

Reaction score
I'm in a military boarding school and after a year I've stopped dressing like a thug and I get unbelievably irritated when people have really bad creases. Or when I see metalheads wear combat trousers in public.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads